cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost half way through 1st Quarter....ICS for sgh-i727?

JRM
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone know when we can download the new Android O/S. Hopefully, it will manage the battery better thatn Gingerbread.

******* Edit labels ********

320 REPLIES 320

Re: ICS Update for Galaxy S2 LTE

penmar
I've Been Here Awhile

Got my ICS update to work now, props to Samsung live support for helping (although it may have been that I just tried updating thru Kies on a different computer - my laptop has been acting up lately). Now, just waiting for ICS for my Tab 10.1!

confyzone
I Plan to Stick Around

srry for the late reply, but one big thing i noticed between custom and rogers is the layout obviously. Rogers is still running on old TW as custom was on new TW so the applications panel was different as well i could load 5 instead of 4 apps at the bottom. the input settings were different as well i found the custom ics responded better to key stroke inputs and autocorrect/word predic.

other than that not to much different, i really just hate how its on the old TW makes it feel to much like GB instead of ICS

also for anyone having issues updating thru kies since i couldnt update thru it since my phone was running custom at&t rom, download the official rogers 4.0.4 thru sammobile and flash the tar file thru odin. NOTE: your phone DOES NOT NEED TO BE ROOTED to use odin. you just need to go into download mode on your phone, and install from there.

if you dont know how to use ODIN check out the XDA forums for information on how to use it.

How would I be able to install the new Touchwiz? The Rogers version of ICS for this phone makes it look like GB.

Thanks Braatwaate,

I agree voice actions are useless. Unfortunately Vlingo and  AIVC do not work well with phone numbers, only contacts, and since I often am calling different phone numbers,  I need an APP that can handle that. Unfortunately the ones I use: Motospeak, and Choice Dialer, are not set up to work with Android 4. I haven't tried cyberon voice commander. But I'm happy to hear that bluetooth handsfree works .

Warren

villinvr6
I Plan to Stick Around

To take screenshots, HOLD power + Home for 2-3 secs

Chuckee
I Plan to Stick Around
I say forget Touchwiz. Even Samsung's CEO or someone high up has acknowledged that it is lacking. Ever seen HTC's Sense 4.0?..
The nice thing about Android is that you can change your launcher very easily.
Try Apex Launcher. I'm using it and it absolutely smokes touchwiz in every way. I've set the icon grid to 4x5 instead of 4x4. The dock has 5 customizable icons with gesture options too. Try it and you'll never go back..
I hear Nova Launcher is good too but I haven't tried it.

Installed in 10min, not a hitch. Its odd though, why does this ICS not have the same unlock screen as the Nexus? Is it the same ICS?

Didn't need a restore, just make sure you write down what is on your home page(s). The upgrade clears the pages. Took me awhile of dragging and dropping to get the same look again.

Now looking at Youtube videos for differant launchers

villinvr6
I Plan to Stick Around

Since having updated to 4.0.4, I have received a lot of crashes/force closes. Just even using simple programs as Instagram, camera 360, facebook etc. I have tried GO luancher (which has always worked for me on Gingerbread), Apex launcher, DX Home, MH Home launcher and I still receive slow downs and constant app crashes. Terrible...

I updated last night and I've lost the stock live wallpapers (Ocean Weather, Wind Weather and Microbes.) Anyone else have this problem?  Any idea how to get them back?

I have to say, the update is great except for the TouchWiz part.. I thought we were gonna get the new TouchWiz 5 but apparently, I was wrong.

TouchWiz takes a lot from our ICS experience.. No resizing widgets, no changes in the app menu, no antimated widgets.. That's all Samsung's fault.

I saw some questions regarding screen capture and I just wanna say that it still works the same (Home + Power Button) but now, you have to hold them longer.

As for the launchers, I agree with everyone who said that the beauty of Android is that we can use a launcher to get rid of this "crappy" TouchWiz (I say crappy because it's obviously designed with Gingerbread in mind, not ICS) and in my opinion, Apex is the best launcher.. I prefer it to Nova.. Get it and you'll have a better ICS experience (UI at least) but I have 2 problems with Apex.. 1. When I used it after the update, my phone got so slow and whenever I get out of an app to the homescreen, it takes a few seconds to load the apps and widgets just like when I turn my phone on.. I uninstalled it and going to reinstall it again and see if that goes away. 2. Unfortunately, with Apex, you can't create folders in the app menu.. Only in the homesceen.. That depends on your preferences of course but I think that's something I can do without although it's gonna take some time to get used to the idea of not having folder and having many pages of apps

neuf
I've Been Around

I had a dream last night that ICS was released for the SGH-I727r and decided to check this morning. How weird/nerdy is that?

Anyhow, I was prompted to upgrade when I launched Kies this morning, I did that, and it offered me the firmware upgrade. I had a meeting to run to, so I just pressed cancel (I didn't check "don't prompt me again").

Now that I have more time, I tried plugging in my phone, but I'm not getting prompted to upgrade anymore.

- "Firmware update" under tools is grayed out so I can't click that

- Uninstalling/reinstalling Kies has no effect

- I installed Kies on another computer with the same result. Any ideas? 

http://i.imgur.com/ntkRY.png

Ackademics
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, New to the community!

After the latest update (4.04) has anyone notice their battery meter staying green even after hiting 15% remaining? I was wondering if this is normal or some kind of issue because if I remember correctly from GB, the batery icon would go from green-yellow-amber-red. Other than that it seems to be running smoothly.

my clock thinks its an hour earlier than it is, much to my shock after thinking i'd worked 7 hours to find it was only 6!??! had to double check 😛

Chuckee
I Plan to Stick Around
I noticed the battery meter thing too. I prefer that. The yellow and red thing gave me anxiety....

Hmm
I Plan to Stick Around

All these odd nuances predominately unique to Samsung makes me definitely not want to get another Samsung device, especially since I've had nothing but problems with previous Samsung models: Galaxy 1 (Captivate) and Galaxy Spica.   Apparently, ICS 4.0 on the G III will be largely stripped of many of the ICS features. 

Chuckee
I Plan to Stick Around
Just thought of something... What happened to the zoomable ice cream sandwich calender? I still have the old calendar.

villinvr6
I Plan to Stick Around

With all the force closes that I've been experiencing with on all launchers, I feel like going back to Gingerbread. I feel that this ICS 4.0.4 was rushed and all the bugs have not been worked out yet. I feel like chucking my GS2 to the wall because I have to either restart the phone or pull the battery. My phone is not rooted either, just stock.

Tycebr
I've Been Around

Is anyone else having problems with connetion via bluetooth to car?  any solutions?

Chuckee
I Plan to Stick Around
@tycebr Bluetooth has been rock solid since the update.
@vilinvr I would go through your apps and uninstall ones that might not be compatible with ics. I had to uninstall loquendo tts because it was causing crashes. it's fine now.

asimowalk
I Plan to Stick Around

Is there a way to get the old sliders back for the alarm and answering calls? I don't like the circles.

ajaygee
I've Been Here Awhile

Agreed about the bugs.... The touch keys at the bottom stay lit about 50% of the time even though I have them set to "always on" in the settings. Often they don't even turn on when I unlock the phone, and then they'll just turn off sporadically thereafter. I do like the cosmetic changes but I should have went with my gut and not fixed what wasn't broken. 

Missing Gingerbread at this point,

AG