cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost half way through 1st Quarter....ICS for sgh-i727?

JRM
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone know when we can download the new Android O/S. Hopefully, it will manage the battery better thatn Gingerbread.

******* Edit labels ********

320 REPLIES 320

Re: ICS Update for Galaxy S2 LTE

braatwaate
I Plan to Stick Around
Rogers has this ROM locked down too tight. Now that it is on 4.0.4, can it still be rooted? Does anyone have a link explaining how to do it?

Blzd2
I've Been Here Awhile

My kies doesn't find the update now either.  At first, it found the update and started to download it. Then Kies told me to restart the phone.  It was not there.  I tried it again and Kies says I have the latest Firmware.  My firmware is still Gingerbread.  My wife has the same phone so I tried her phone. Kies says my wife's phone has the latest Firmware.  She still has Gingerbread.

Is this happening because everybody is updating at once.  I called Samsung and his computer told them Rogers S2lte does not have ICS yet.  I called rogers and they sent me an email in how to download ICS on S2 LTE.

Software Update (Samsung Galaxy S II - Android 4.0 [Ice Cream Sandwich])

Important:  Before performing this update you will need to download Samsung Kies.  Click here to download the software.  Ensure that you have a backup of your information before upgrading to Android 4.0.

1. Run Samsung Kies.
    2. Connect your device via USB port. 
    3. Wait for Samsung Kies to recognize the device.
    1. Samsung Kies will display a pop-up window to alert if there is a software update available.
    2. Click Update to begin software upgrade.
    1. Read the Terms and Agreements and check box next to I have read all of the above information once you have finished reading.
    1. Select information saving option.
    2. Click Start upgrade.
    3. Firmware upgrade in process. Do not disconnect the cable from the PC will appear.

1. When Firmware upgrade complete appears, click OK.

braatwaate
I Plan to Stick Around
This is how it went down for me. Kies upgraded my phone no problem this morning. I would reinstall Kies and try again.

Warrencharles
I've Been Here Awhile

Has anyone checked to see if bluetooth hands free is working on ICS update. It works great on gb, but I hear it doesn't work on android 4.0. Please confirm. I need hands free with my car speaker kit (Motorola T505) and afraid to upgrade until I'm sure it will work. Also if I don't like ICS upgrade can I roll back to the previous ROM? When performing the upgrade does the process backup the existing system and data, or overwrites everything?

When I plug my S2 Lte it says THis is the latest firmware. Is anyone else having this problem or does anyone know how to fix it?

braatwaate
I Plan to Stick Around
I have the T505. It worked for me. The only thing I had to do was pair it with phone again. One thing I like is that the phone will initiate a reconnect when I turn bluetooth back on. Before , I had to turn off the Rokr and turn it back on to reconnect bluetooth.

braatwaate
I Plan to Stick Around
I think Kies only backs up data. It doesn't do an operating system backup. If you want that, you'll have to root your phone. There's videos on YouTube on how to do this for the i727r.

With that said, I don't think there's any reason to roll back to Gingerbread. I've been using ICS all day, and its good. Rogers has some settings locked down which is annoying, but the build is solid.

Upgrade your phone and you'll happy you did.

penmar
I've Been Here Awhile

I have tried three time now to update my Galaxy S2 through Kies and keep getting hung up with a 'Crypt Error' at 69% completed download.  What's going on and how can I get it to work?  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

PhuzzyDay
I Plan to Stick Around
Anyone else not able to tether or create a working hotspot after updating?
The in phone apps are good, but when I connect to it via hotspot with wifi OR through usb, The network connects, but no internet. (Limited Connectivity in Win7, just errors if i connect to the hotspot from another droid unit..)

I even did factory reset. Same thing. I think i`ll start a new thread, After i ditch this STUPID DEFAULT KEYBOARD FOR TOUCHPAL AGAIN AAAHHHH! MADDENING.

Chuckee
I Plan to Stick Around
To answer 2 questions in the thread:
Bluetooth: I used to get random disconnects with bluetooth phone. Hasn't happened to yet. A2DP is clear now. I stream music to my Acura and with Gingerbread, the sound quality was clicky. It's clear now.

Wifi Hotspot: I used it today. Seemed fine to me.

PhuzzyDay
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks chucky.

PhuzzyDay
I Plan to Stick Around
chuckee! sorry.

I'm having problems with my contacts list. I can only scroll some of the way before it shuts down. Everything else seems to work fine though.

Thanks Braatwaate,

When you said the T505 "worked" with ICS, to be more specific, could you initiate a phone call, and clearly hear the person you called, as well as play music through the T505 speaker. I've heard the media audio works fine, but the phone audio doesn't.

Thanks

Sorry Baatwaate but I forgot to ask if you were using an app such as Choice Dialer Plus, or My Motospeak to access the T505 or just Voice Actions.

Thanks

braatwaate
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Warren,

Yes the bluetooth call quality it good.  I talked to my wife on the way home for about 20 minutes and didn't have problem with it.

I have Vlingo and AIVC installed, although I tend to use Vlingo.  As soon as I connect with bluetooth, Vlingo opens up and prompts for a voice command.  If I cancel, I can then initiate Vlingo again by pressing the phone icon on the Motorola.  I can dismiss Vlingo using the phone icon again.

Voice actions didn't work for me when I had Gingerbread.  I would press the phone icon, it would just make an irritating tone, and then nothing would happen.  I haven't tried it since upgrading to ICS, but I find Google doesn't understand me very well anyway.

Give Vlingo a try if you haven't already.

braatwaate
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Warren,

I did play music on the way home as well, and that worked.  ICS allows you to control your music on the lock screen.  I don't know if you've used Rdio, but I have it and the controls to skip, pause and go back appeared on the lock screen.  That was quite impressive.

Not a problem for me. Upgraded last night and used hands free this morning...

AndroidNoob
I've Been Here Awhile

Anybody know why the ICS lock screen feature where you can jump to camera etc doesn't work? From android.com:

New lock screen actions

The lock screens now let you do more without unlocking. From the slide lock screen, you can jump directly to the camera for a picture or pull down the notifications window to check for messages. When listening to music, you can even manage music tracks and see album art.

PhuzzyDay
I Plan to Stick Around

It was my Data plan!  Officially, tethering should not have been working before.

Hope this helps someone else out there!

Stupid thing was, support said I should try calling Samsung to see what they would say.  "Have to send in the phone." was the response.  Morons.  Great products, support was a bit poor.  At least it was easy to get a human quickly, probably because ALL their responses are simplistic useless doodoo.

gwh
I Plan to Stick Around

How do you take screenshots now? Power+Home doesn't work anymore, and Power+Vol Down doesn't work either.