cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost half way through 1st Quarter....ICS for sgh-i727?

JRM
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone know when we can download the new Android O/S. Hopefully, it will manage the battery better thatn Gingerbread.

******* Edit labels ********

320 REPLIES 320

Re: Almost half way through 1st Quarter....ICS for sgh-i727?

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I've been scouring various web sites, trying to find any hint of when rogers might be releasing 4.x for our phone... The code was out some time ago now, and there are numerous custom Roms out there... So I thought I'd start this thread as a kind of ICS watch and see where it goes..... if anywhere.

Smeelious
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well...

You'll need an official ROM from Sammy, then it depends on how many of your phone Rogers is selling.  That'll determine how fast their put their own ROM out.

Sooo...Sometime before 2013 would be my guess.  But not before...June.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Shaggy we all know how long Rogers will take. From what i have heard & heard from Samsung that they already sent the update to Rogers & they are waiting until Rogers releases it. This could take time because Rogers is known to take its time to update phones. Look at the Nokia threads for the N8. They took about months to update it with a new update. This is due because they want to put their own branding on it which means the Rogers boot screen logo & a few other little things.

shaggyskunk
Hey Meow,
Yeah, I know..... but it's a beautiful Monday & I felt obliged to try and fan the flames of discontent... 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
lol :). I wonder why Rogers does this tho. I am sure they can just add whatever they need to & just release it instead of taking their time on it. Its not going to make a difference anyways.

shaggyskunk
It just can't take THAT long, to paint a phone Red.... there are ICS updates of sorts for a variety of phones. rogers wanted to be "first" with the LIMITED initial distribution of the LTE phones, let's see if they still have the appetite for steamrolling..... er, I mean paving the way . he, he...

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Thats true. If Rogers claims to be the best & want to role out things first then i am sure they can start rolling updates out now. I know a few people that work & do updates for other carriers & they told me it does not take months to fix a update & roll it out. All the need is the update from Samsung & they just tweak it to add their stuff. If mods want to think i am lying then so be it i can bring those people in here to say the same as well :).

Rogers start giving the updates out soon..

shaggyskunk
Yup, & I read that another wrinkle has been added to the equation.... Google IN conjunction with Samsung will be distributing the updates... But presently there are nexus S phones that have been updated to 4.x, in addition there have been at least two updates to the ICS O/S for the Nexus itself! From another article... March seems to be a possibility.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

shaggyskunk
God bless Mobilesyrup.....:-) It's a great resource for us Canuks, and apparently folks from Europe too!!

I still find it amazing that rogers is leaping forward with expanding the LTE network market, while there are still areas that are listed in their coverage maps, that are really sketchy ...for example, on the weekend I experienced at least two hours of Edge!!! & it's a real pain to have to call tech support every time this happens. From this standpoint, I could even see a benefit of CICQ, I mean if it lets the carrier SEE where the problems are in real time....

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Yea. Rogers ONLY seems to care to expand the LTE Networks instead of fixing the current ones. I see it as they ONLY want money instead of the problems the costumers are having with the network.

shaggyskunk
.....and low & behold.....rogers network crashes Monday afternoon for an hour or so.. What was that about bringing LTE to 20 million people again..

tobesedated
I Plan to Stick Around

So my boyfriend is with Telus and has the Samsung Galaxy S2. He informed me today he should be receiving the ICS update within the month. My question is will Rogers be releasing the update to us soon? It's so frustrating hearing everyone getting the update and we aren't even being given an approximate date. Yeah, yeah I know. Why don't I root my phone? Well I've tried and ran into nothing but problems. So now I prefer to stay legal. I shouldn't be penalized for that. Just release it already....

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Please read the other threads instead of making another same one.. Anyways Rogers will not comment on updates they may or may not release. This is not new. Also Rogers likes to take their time to release updates. All in all ur BF will have fhe ICS update before u get it.

tobesedated
I Plan to Stick Around

Figures and I didn't notice a suitable reply in the other posts. Either way if it's an issue having another like post then it can be deleted.
@Rogers...way to keep the customer happy. Nothing's changed since I worked for them, too bad.

Re: WILL THE ICS UPDATE BE COMING TO MY SGH-I727 SOON?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Right here if you read a few pages..

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/8431

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/7372

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/8692

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/6753

All those threads will show you that no one has been getting any answers from Rogers seeing as they do not say anything to its customers. All they say is " We can not comment on updates we have yet received or are working on."

tobesedated
I Plan to Stick Around

LOL I don't say there weren't other posts. I simply said none of them had any suitable replies. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers. That wasn't the intent of my question.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Still tho, those are the only answers you will get. If you read all those you will see no one got any answers. That means you will not get any answer you want to hear or a proper one either...

No one will get any suitable replies from Rogers ever. All the reps just say the same thing to each of us. WE just have to wait until Rogers decided to release the update. I know its a long wait believe me. A lot of people have just rooted the phone & added the ICS from a different ROM. IF you want you can do that. IF not then you just need to sit & wait until Rogers releases it. Also Rogers does not say anything even when they release any update unless its for the iPhone. That is the only time. Apple has agreements for that, thats why,

tobesedated
I Plan to Stick Around

It kills me how poorly Rogers communicates.....after all they are a communications company 😛

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

haha i agree with you on that:P. They should at least put something on the phone pages like Telus does. Rogers seems not to care tho to be honest. I & thousands of others have seen this. They claim they care & listen yet i have not seen anything like that. It seems Rogers cares about the Money & thats all. They do not have a proper communication team or anything like that.