cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All signals are in 1080i instead of 1080p

Alek123
I've Been Around

Hi

I have Cisco 4642HD box from Rogers hooked up (via HDMI) to Yamaha AV receiver (HTR3063) and then again via HDMI to the Samsung LN40C530 HD tv set.  My first question would be

1) Is this the best hook up - some says it is better to go directly to the TV instead of through AV receiver

and second question is

2) How come all of the HD chanells that I am watching - 500's - are actually saying 1920:1080i instead of 1920:1080p - is it up to hdtv signal itself or up to my settings somewhere - either on the TV itself or on Cisco 4642 box.

Thanks

***Edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: All signals are in 1080i instead of 1080p

redison
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Alek123:

Yes it is the TV signal.

All HD TV Broadcasts are either 1080i or 720p. This is a bandwidth issue, as 1080p requires 2X the bandwidth of 1080i.

720p is better for fast motion such as sports, so most of the sports networks -TSN ESPN etc. use it as well as ABC and A&E.

1080i is better for programs like documentaries.

Some TV's and cable boxes *may* upscale to 1080p themselves.

Google "1080i vs 1080p" for more info.

Cheers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Sounds like you have it hooked up the best way.

I like to go through the receiver for reasons of video switching between bluray player and cable without changing the tv input. Also less cables. Another bonus if your receiver does it is audio sync issues should be tweakable.

As for 1080i vs 1080p. Rogers is 1080i. So your getting the proper signal. Some receivers can upscale everything to 1080p. Yours might you'd have to check the manual to see if the setting is available. But as it stands your getting what rogers is feeding.

Duckman
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey there!

I was going to trade my Samsung receiver in for this Yamaha htr 3063.  Is there a working code to program the rogers remote 1056 to control the receiver's volume?

Dg

redison
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Alek123:

Yes it is the TV signal.

All HD TV Broadcasts are either 1080i or 720p. This is a bandwidth issue, as 1080p requires 2X the bandwidth of 1080i.

720p is better for fast motion such as sports, so most of the sports networks -TSN ESPN etc. use it as well as ABC and A&E.

1080i is better for programs like documentaries.

Some TV's and cable boxes *may* upscale to 1080p themselves.

Google "1080i vs 1080p" for more info.

Cheers

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I've been a long-time Rogers user and have used all of their digital boxes, including the newest 4242HD and 8642HD units however I'm new to this forum.

Reading the documentation in the manual in the fine print (very hard to find) it says that although the newest units from Cisco  can support up to 1080P (30 refresh though not 60 - strange)   that it can only be activated by the provider (ie. Rogers).   There is no config option on the unit to force the digital box to perform the line-doubling function from 1080i to 1080P which would convert the signal from Interlaced to Progressive.   This is left up to your display device such as TV or projector, etc. as it was in the past with the older devices as well.

This is pretty lame as the picture quality would improve significantly by having the Rogers box perform that function vs the display device.   It has to happen somewhere in the chain.  I recently saw the picture quality on a new Bell Satellite TV receiver at a friend's house and they apply this function in their new set top boxes along with video processing and the picture quality is much better than Rogers units as a result.

If anyone from Rogers support sees this message I'd like to find out why Rogers has chosen not to leverage the upgraded abilities of the Cisco 4242HD and 8642HD units in sending out a progressive signal thru the HDMI output.    I think this is an uncompetitive position at this point.

Thank you.    

probaly because it uses more bandwith they might reserve it for ROD only.. right now its not worth it just stick with 1080i its just fine

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well, I don't agree that it's just fine.  I have very high end equipment in my house and I know the picture quality could be a lot better than it is.   I am seriously considering switching suppliers.

no supplier offers 1080p in a large scale such as digital cable or satelight dish. if you want 1080p buy some blue ray discs. 1080i is the max, and trust me, it is unnoticible the difference between a 1080i and 1080p since your tv is inheritenly progressive scan to begin with and will upconert the 1080i signals to your lcd panel, all LCD do this.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Pauly is right, pretty much the only way to get 1080p is bluray.. Rogers can't provide 1080p because they don't get the signal in 1080p.

Kevinbroten
I Plan to Stick Around

Most Tv's have built in post processing. that will upscale into progressive scan all interlaced feeds.

Rogers could activate 1080p upscaling. but most high quality Tv's can process the feed better then the STB. The only benefit to 1080p upscaling on the STB is to provide better source material for HDTV's will low quality post processors.

To enable the upscale on box will introduce 2 post processings in serial of each other with some TV models. Which may increase visual errors and could increase delay to the video feed further.

Shaw has 1080p but only on movie rentals, with only 1080i feeds on cable stations. So they carry the 1080p feature due to the progressive feed. But for the Rogers 1080i feeds out putting it without upscaling in post processing in most cases is best. There choice provides the best quality to higher end TV's given the source feed.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 in conversation