All ready have Rogers account Do I need a new one

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djbattaglia
I've Been Here Awhile

All ready have Rogers account Do I need a new one

Hey I All ready have a Rogers account with internet, home phone and TV, I want wireless do I need to open a whole new account for wireless? Like give my info all over again? Or can I just call and get them to open up my current account and just add what ever wireless I want? I just don't want to give all the info again as I lost my wallet recently and am waiting for new SIN and other identity cards?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: All ready have Rogers account Do I need a new one

You shouldnt have to do too much.

As long as you can verify the account is yours, they should likely be able to do it.

They may have to do a new credit check, etc.. but if they already have a credit card, etc on file, they likely wont need a new one (unless that one is disabled now)

Updated 2015

As long as your personal identification that you presented to Rogers when you opened up your first account is still valid then you will be fine. A new credit check will need to be validated in order to ensure a new wireless line can be open. If the personal identification is not on file or was not provided at the time of the original activation of your current services than we would need to obtain two pieces of personal identification. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You shouldnt have to do too much.

As long as you can verify the account is yours, they should likely be able to do it.

They may have to do a new credit check, etc.. but if they already have a credit card, etc on file, they likely wont need a new one (unless that one is disabled now)

Updated 2015

As long as your personal identification that you presented to Rogers when you opened up your first account is still valid then you will be fine. A new credit check will need to be validated in order to ensure a new wireless line can be open. If the personal identification is not on file or was not provided at the time of the original activation of your current services than we would need to obtain two pieces of personal identification. 

View solution in original post

djbattaglia
I've Been Here Awhile

i'm not sure if my credit card is on file I think its my SIN for the credit check :S would they just re check with that then? Or will I have to re give them the SIN number? like I said did lost it and its in the process of getting a new one, and as u know service Canada like to take there sweet time for things.

**edited for content**

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Something like a SIN you shouldnt have to give again.

If doing it online, they likely will just verify account ownership, with name, address, birthdate, account password, etc

In store, they might ask for more, like drivers license.

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

Should businesses ask individuals for their Social Insurance Number?

The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada has long held the position that the Social Insurance Number (SIN) should not be used as a general identifier and that organizations should restrict their collection, use and disclosure of SINs to legislated purposes.

While recognizing that some private-sector organizations are required by law to request customers’ or employees’ SINs, we remain opposed in principle to the practice of requesting the SIN for general purposes of identification. We recommend that no private sector organization request the SIN from a customer, and that no customer give the SIN to a private-sector organization, unless the organization is required by law to request it.

https://www.priv.gc.ca/resource/fs-fi/02_05_d_21_e.asp

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Which is why in generaly they dont ask for SIN's as identifiers when going somewhere when proving your ID.. normaly a drivers licensce, health card, passport, etc. (usually as well, to as they have photo info often on them)

Not sure if SIN is manditory when signing up for a new account or not.. usually ISNT.. but it is often used when doing a credit check, etc.. and can make the whole process for that part, alot easier and go through quicker (at by my understanding).

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

No collecting a SIN is not required. Read sections 7 and 9 on the following link.  In fact it is a good idea to read the whole page.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/about/reports/sin/cop/section2.shtml

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

section 7 in jays77 link describes what / why rogers is collecting it.

But as has already been stated.. its not REQUIRED, and your choice if you do so.