cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All NEW HTC ONE

zombiejc
I Plan to Stick Around

I just cancelled my reservation for the Galaxy S5 and reserved the New HTC ONE (M8). It is my understadning that the ones who reserve, these will be sent out asap and should recieve them by weeks end? I wonder if anyone has any info on this.

I've decided to go with HTC because I believe that we should support the high quality build they have been offering. I've had the original HTC One since launch last year and with some known issues (mainly camera) the phone is stellar. Hopefully the camera issues don't carry forward and HTC can present the most well rounded phone this year.

I was going to go with Sony and their Z2, but with there little to no information about the release on that phone I have changed my mind. HTC has done a good job with this release/roll out, if it goes as planned and I hope HTC is rewarded by the public. I would hate to see them go under when they are releasing some great tech.

***Edited Labels.***

160 REPLIES 160

Re: All NEW HTC ONE

mark_ray
I've Been Around

The Galaxy S5 is much better in terms of hardware and software, however, HTC ONE M8 beats the S5 in terms of quality metal build as well as in speakers. Some people argue that Galaxy S5 is better in terms of water resistant, but I believe water resistant is not enough to guard the phone, we need water proof phone. However, I am getting the Galaxy S5 but will buy a waterproof case from here http://www.galaxy-s5-cases.com

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello mark_ray

That is correct. The build quality on the HTC One M8 is amazing. Stereo speakers are amazing as well. The S5 has most of the things i need including water proof.

AnonymousUser
I'm a Trusted Contributor
@mark_ray care to clarify what about the hardware is better in the S5? They both share the same snapdragon processor, the screens are similar in size and in 1080p, the HTC one has an edge on internal memory as it's 32GB instead of the S5's 16, and they both have microsd slots. The S5 has a removable battery and is water and dust resistant, features that I personally don't need, but to those that do, definitely doesn't make it much better than the M8.

katiepin
I Plan to Stick Around

Awesome, I reserved mine yesterday, it is still open as of right now, should i expect that to chance any time soon? Mine is being shipped to rogers plus 857 sackville drive, lower sackville, nova scotia, so im not sure if that is a cooperate store or not.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello katiepain

Great to hear! From what i know that store is a Rogers corporate store. What # are u on the reservation line?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello anonymoususer

Remember everyone has their own views on the devices. You are correct. Both devices use the same processor, 2GB ram, 1080p screen. The S5 has been called that it has the best screen on any device, fastess auto focus, bigger MP camera, removable battery, heart rate monitor, water and dust resistant and finger print sensor. Some may think those are extras but it does make the phone a bit better then the HTC One M8.

It all depends on the person who uses the phones. I own the HTC One M8 and soon to own the S5 at launch day. I will give a review when i get the S5 and it will be a review between both phones.

katiepin
I Plan to Stick Around
I am number 3 in line!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello katiepin

Very nice!!! Hopefully they get some devices and u get yours!! 🙂 if not this week, then next week for sure 🙂

katiepin
I Plan to Stick Around

Mine is now in process woo hoo 🙂 hopefully that means it will be here by the end of the week.. cant wait 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello katiepin

That means they have your device!! It may ship out tonight or tomorrow. You should get it before this weekend 🙂

Heythumb
I Plan to Stick Around

They do not use the same processor...The S5 is running on the snapdragon 800 while the HTC One M8 runs on the newer 801 SoC

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Heythumb

That is incorrect. Here are the real specs below. They both have the Snapdragon 801 SoC. If you Gogole it, you will see ALL sites will show you the S5 has the Snapdragon 801. Even Samsung said it when they announced the phone. Watch the announcement on Youtube to see it.

HTC One M8

CPU Speed
Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 801, quad-core CPUs

http://www.htc.com/ca/smartphones/htc-one-m8/

Samsung Galaxy S5

Chipset Qualcomm MSM8974AC Snapdragon 801
CPU Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php

Here is the comparison of both phones & Specs.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6033&idPhone2=6074

" Both Samsung's and HTC's upcoming flagship phones are powered by a Snapdragon 801 SoC, which is arguably the most powerful of its kind right now. Yet, at least on paper, the Galaxy S5 has the upper hand, as its CPU will have a slightly higher top clock rate of 2.5GHz. The CPU on the One will max out at 2.3GHz. Nevertheless, despite this theoretical advantage for Samsung's phone, we doubt that we'll encounter any performance issues with either of these devices."

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-vs-HTC-One-M8-preliminary-comparison_id53943/page/2

Heythumb
I Plan to Stick Around

Weird, I could swear that it was announced with the 800 processor..anyways I guess youre right. My bad. Still with all that touchwiz crapware, the HTC will probably be faster/smoother. Cant wait to get mine, in progress!

AnonymousUser
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Ya, the original HTC One felt faster than the S4 even though it was a slightly underclocked version of the Snapdragon 600 last go around.  Touchwiz is bloatware, though the S5's version is vastly different, I'm not holding my breath on it being smooth like Sense is.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Heythumb

No the S5 does have 801 SoC has shown above. No worries! we all make mistakes.

As for the comparison, many have said the S5 is a bit faster then the HTC One M8 but those are the lucky ones that have both devices / used them for a bit. WE can not judge the devices until we get them. This is for the S5 of course.

The HTC Sense is amaazing tho. I will not lie i would choice that over any UI. Loved it from the start. Touchwiz? I never really use it as on all Android devices, i use Nova Launcher.

Heythumb
I Plan to Stick Around

Since you seem to know everything, do you think I will get my HTC before the end of the week since its been in progress since this morning?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Heythumb

It all depends. Most likely they should ship it out if not tonight then tomorrow night. You should get it by Friday if you picked a Rogers Corporate store ( Rogers Plus). If you picked a Rogers Authorized store, there are some stores that have Rogers ship the reservation devices to the stores warehouse. This may take another 1-3 business days for u to get your device & you won't be able to track it. You will have to wait to get the call.

If you indeed picked a Rogers Corporate store ( Rogers plus or Rogers) then you will receive it when the UPS tracking shows its been delievered. Most likely by Friday. All first phones including mine were shipped Tuesday night & most of us got them Wednsday / Friday ( depending on when UPS shipped them out & where the location is.)

Heythumb
I Plan to Stick Around

Also what if I were to decide that I dont want the phone anymore. Do I still get charged the $40?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Heythumb

The $40 is a down deposit. You will get that $40 back once you cancel the reservation ( Only if the status says OPEN) & when the phone ships out. On the shipment email, it will say this:

" The reservation fee of 40.00 + taxes will be credited back to your Rogers invoice next month."

Tplaya
I've Been Around

Hello Meowmix,

I was wondering if you could clarify something about the 40$ deposit. Do you get the deposit back whether or not you purchase the phone? The quote from your shipping confirmation email makes it seem that way.  I am already in progress on my reservation so a cancel is not an option. I still want the phone, but am having second thoughts about the color. I saw earlier in the thread that the glacial silver will be available on April 10th, which is next week.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Tplaya

Like i said in my post on page 10, you will get the $40 reservation fee back when the device ships from Rogers or when you cancel the reservation ( The status must be OPEN to cancel). So yes you will get back the $40 even if u don't get to pick it up at the store. Here is it from from the 

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=NEW_GCT&_nfls=true&setLanguage=en&temp...

Yes that is correct. Rogers will launch the M8 in Glacier White on April 10th ( Street launch date)

Topic Stats
  • 160 replies
  • 18 Likes
  • 14 in conversation