cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 10 Years, Goodbye Rogers!

le-mec
I've Been Around

I've been a loyal Rogers Customer for ten years, but not for an eleventh.

I started experiencing packet loss issues in November 2013. From time to time, I'd get these packet loss spikes where about 10-14% of the packets would get lost, causing Skype calls to get garbled, uploads and downloads to get corrupted, video games to malfunction and worst of all, for my broadcasts to get interrupted. (I stream my work for a part of my living). Rogers' staff said that the area was endemic to my neighbourhood but it was an intermittent issue and they never seemed to send the repair crew out to fix the problem when it was happening and all I got on the call backs were that the "problem appeared to be solved".

Broadcasters like me don't make a whole lot of money, and I was just getting by on Rogers' plan due to their puny data allowances which I was burning through at a voracious rate. A few months ago I had looked into TekSavvy and found their pricing a lot more attractive and couldn't make a business case of paying Rogers' rates any more and was just about ready to switch.

Their customer retention staff offered me a substantially lower rate, but here's the thing: This company was charging me, its loyal 10 year customer, abusive rates this whole time and could have lowered my rate at any time, but decided to continue abusing me until I had had enough.

By this point, the only reason I was sticking around was that I wanted to be with one of the two biggest internet providers, seeing as I was so reliant on the internet. I didn't want to go with a TPIA like TekSavvy because I wanted to have direct access to Rogers' tech support.

But the last few months on Rogers' have been horrendous. Almost every day I was experiencing packet loss spikes, killing my broadcasts off, and the @RogersHelps Twitter offered to help, in the end forwarding me to their telephone support (which I could have contacted on my own). I ascertained from my many calls to their tech support that the problem lay with their infrastructure, a problem that they were either unable or unwilling to fix in 7 months, and that the only way to resolve my issue would be to get OFF the flawed infrastructure.

During my conversation with @RogersHelps, they attempted to get me onto their Rogers Hybrid Fiber service, but it would have cost me even more, and when I made it clear to the representative that their service was broken and that I wanted unbroken service for no extra charge, they blocked me.

So when I called Rogers' to cancel, they told me to get a modem upgrade (which cost me another $5/mth) and it did nothing to solve the problem. Finally, I contacted TekSavvy and ordered DSL service, which was on Bell's Infrastructure. The plan I was on earlier was with Rogers 20 down, 3 up with a 300MB data limit.

With Teksavvy, my plan costs me only $32/mth for 15 down, 10 up with a 300 MB Data limit, and yes, there were substantial setup fees and I bought a modem.

But the thing is, I'm a broadcaster and nearly all of my traffic is upload traffic, and with TekSavvy, they don't charge or count my upload data. Also, with the 10 up, I was able to double my stream quality, and I could set up an nginx RTMP relay to simulcast on multiple websites if I wanted. The internet packet loss issue is gone and quite frankly, even if there were connection problems, I feel nobody should ever pay full price for broken service (which is what Rogers had me doing for months).

When at last I went to return my modem at the Eaton Centre store, another gentleman around my age was also in the queue to return his modem. He was going with Distributel. We talked for a bit and compared notes about pricing and the horrors of Rogers' pricing and service (He called their pricing predatory') and we were amused to find that someone had left up a rather unflattering article about Rogers' on one of the ipads that they have for people to use while they wait. Also, @RogersHelps mentions are full of users slagging Rogers and I feel like I really made the right decision in walking away.

It's been a full week with TekSavvy, and when one of my viewers points out that my stream hasn't gone down ever since I made the switch, I'm filled with a feeling that can only be described as the feeling that a person has after they've left an abusive household.

The date is June 26, 2014 and this is my first and final forum post.

- le-mec

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: After 10 Years, Goodbye Rogers!

Another thing to add..

Not trying to be mean or anything... i know alot of people use rogers services for their home business.. whatever it may be.

One thing to remember.. this IS a residential service.  There really is no SLA or anything with it.. guaranting uptime..etc.

Really to get into those things.. you need to pay for a BUSINESS grade service.. but you can be looking at paying 2-5x as much money... mostly due to those gaurantees 😞

(i am on 10m/10m direct fibre here at work.. burstable to 100/100 (but can pay overages for it).  Gauranteed 4 hour max for a tech, gauranteed uptime (or refunded).... BUT.... we pay 1100 a month for it).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers new Hybrid plans, are really actually CHEAPER than almost all the previous plans, as the new plan prices INCLUDE the modem rental in them (vs before was ONTOP of the plan price).

BUT usage can still be an issue.  If you have TV and phone, you can get the bonus 200g free... but still might not be enough for some users.

Some of the TPIA providers, to offer unlimited uploads.... so like you said, that is a MAJOR advantage to you, completely understandable why it would be bonus.

For anyone reading this.. there is a major thing to see with this post too.. is the change to DSL over cable.
From the sounds of thing.. it was a major INFRASTRUCTURE issue that was causing the problems.

My inlaws are going on a year now, and they are ALMOST done fixing the infrastructure (major feeder street lines replaced.. and many house lines replaced)..

Switching providers, might not always sovle the issue, if you are keeping on same infrastructure.

(and also worth taking note, that it can sometimes work REVERSED.  Had a friend in a century home.. and switched TO rogers, because the phone lines, were probably 50+ years old..)

Another thing to add..

Not trying to be mean or anything... i know alot of people use rogers services for their home business.. whatever it may be.

One thing to remember.. this IS a residential service.  There really is no SLA or anything with it.. guaranting uptime..etc.

Really to get into those things.. you need to pay for a BUSINESS grade service.. but you can be looking at paying 2-5x as much money... mostly due to those gaurantees 😞

(i am on 10m/10m direct fibre here at work.. burstable to 100/100 (but can pay overages for it).  Gauranteed 4 hour max for a tech, gauranteed uptime (or refunded).... BUT.... we pay 1100 a month for it).

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 in conversation