Advanced Wifi Modem.....Should I use a Router?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Advanced Wifi Modem.....Should I use a Router?

I am going to upgrade my Rogers internet package and will be moving from my basic cable modem to the Advanced Wi-Fi Modem. I am currently using an older Linksys Router with my modem. My question is....Should I still be using my router with this new modem or would I be good without it? If you guys think I should have a router I may pick up a current one....although the old one is still working fine.

We are using a desktop, a laptop, a tablet, Xbox, and two cell phones on our current network.

Thanks for any advice!

Edit.....From what I'm reading about poor wifi with the Rogers modems maybe a router is the way to go?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Advanced Wifi Modem.....Should I use a Router?

It will depend on what your requirements are and whether or not your current router meets them.  There is a chance that the CGN3 will do everything that you need it to do, that depends on the range to the router that most of your devices operate at, and whether or not you have any forwarding for those devices that the CGN3 might not be able to accompish.  Those two reasons, wireless range and forwarding seem to be the biggest drivers towards operating a third party router.  Of course, a separate router will also give you much better control over the functions that you typically find on router, but that are not available on the CGN3.  If you look at your current devices and determine their operating standards, that is 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and now 802.11ac, and then look at your router to see what it supports, that will guide your decision to buy a new router or not. If all of the standards of the devices are covered by your current router, then you can probably keep on using it unless you want a newer router that might transmit higher power levels.

I'm Here A Lot

Great!  Thanks, Datalink.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One point that I forgot about earlier.  The CGN3 has a firmware bug, which causes it to throttle down the download rates for any device connected to it that happens to have a 10/100 Mb/s port.  If your linksys router only has a WAN port that runs at 10/100 Mb/s, you will run into that problem.  Two solutions:  1.  Put a gigabit switch in between the CGN3 and the router to isolate the lower data rate devices from the CGN3, or.  2.  Replace the router with one that has gigabit WAN and Lan ports.  Sorry i didn't think about that previously.

I'm Here A Lot

I have the Linksys WRT54GS, version 1.0.  I'm not sure what the WAN port speed is but I've been using this router for a loooong time so I'm guessing it will probably be an issue.  It might be time for an upgrade.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

yeah, that unit definately only has a 10/100 port.

For the start, i would use the CGN3 as it is, as you will have issues with your router with it.

See how the range is, etc..

Then if you are having issues, can get a newer unit.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You also have to consider any other devices that you have that might also contain 10/100 Mb/s ports only.  If you connect those directly to the CGN3 you will see the same throttling down issue with them as well.  In which case a gigabit switch or other router will solve the problem.  The switch will be the cheaper solution of the two.

I'm Here A Lot

OK.....Thanks for the advice, Datalink.

I've Been Here Awhile

Yeah, I had this Rogers CGN3 router running at the same time with my Asus RT-N56U inorder to do some performance testing. 

Nothing but problems running them at the same time. 

Had to unplug my Asus router just to get the Rogers one working right. 

Some how the CGN3 even managed to change some settings on my N56U, strange.

The CGN3 basically has the same range as my N56U so I'm just going to go with it for now. 

Performance is fast. 

On the 250 plan.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Were you running the CGN3 in Gateway or Bridge mode?  Either way can work, but in Gateway mode you would have to set an IP address for the router if you ever wanted to get back into it and turn off the DHCP on the router as well.  The CGN3 would then handle all of the LAN addressing.  There are people here who use Asus routers, so hopefully one of them can help out.  There is also the question of whether or not you need to use the ports on the CGN3, or if the router can handle all of your wired connections.  That will depend on your network layout in your home.