Advanced Wi-Fi Modem using Hybrid Fibre 150

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Advanced Wi-Fi Modem using Hybrid Fibre 150

How to set up Guest Access with password protection because Rogers USB stick not provided like the dpc3825 modem and does not work with this newest modem. Rogers tech support kindly set up Guest Access & password but I soon discovered password not needed to access Guest Account because it was open access for anyone so I had them remove for now.

Does anyone know how to turn on & off Guest Account with password protection via some other methodology like the 192.168.0.1 Control Panel? I'm unable to find a manual for this new Advanced Wi-Fi modem router which has the latest firmware version installed but no Guest Account management capability.thx,bob

***edited labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Advanced Wi-Fi Modem using Hybrid Fibre 150

I was given the USB stick with the CGN3 and it worked fine.

But have to admit any time I've let Rogers make adjustments to the modem from their end it has screwed things up.

I'd be inclined to start over with a new modem and make sure it includes the USB stick. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, that i can find.. there is no guess access setup via the web interface...
Must be blocked out for some reason..

Remember with a guest access account, it will not be SECURITY enabled, like with a password like a normal security enabled ID..  It will allow anyone to connect.. but then to access out, will have to enter the password, via a webpage which should come up automatically.

Bar necessarily swaping the WHOLE modem (as you would then need likely to wait for the new firmware upgrade again, etc.. would be to go to a rogers store, and see if they can supply you with a proper key (from another modem package even, etc).

I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a manual which I can find out all the lights at the front of the Hybrid Fibre modem indicate?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While this is not a rogers manual.. this is a generic one for the Hitron CGN3

https://s3.amazonaws.com/modem.manuals/CGN3_UG_v1.1_2013-08-16.pdf

NOTE: some have found, the lights, while marked for the RIGHT things as per that manual... dont always BLINK when activity, as the manual says.

I've Been Here Awhile

It really helps. Thanks for the information.

I've Been Here Awhile

log into your Modem/Router admin @ 192.168.0.1 .(.besure to copy the password)  under the "security" tab you can turn off the Guest feature for your wifi. You can also create a USB setup for other computers. 

I did get a thumb drive in the bow with my router but I almost missed it. it also has a manual and FAQ's

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I just got the rogers 150mbps internet with the new CGN3 modem a few days ago and I'm in a strange situation. I'm getting wifi speeds of about 80 mbps, which is okay as i'm just using wireless N 2.4ghz. However, all the wired ports are only giving me about 30mbps (i have a 100mbps network card). I'm not sure if a 100mbps card is limiting my speed or if something is wrong on rogers side. A tech has already told me that all my settings are correct and i've already swapped the modem.

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

You have run into a firmware bug within the CGN3.  Look at the back of the CGN3 and confirm that for the port in question, you have a yellow / orange LED indicating a gigabit connection, or, a green LED indicating a 10/100 Mb/s connection.  If the LED is green, you will see throttled down data rates due to the firmware bug, that is, any connection with a 10/100 Mb/s device, which is directly connected to the CGN3 will see throttled down data rates.  To use any 10/100 Mb/s devices and see the max data rate for either the CGN3 or the device, you need to install a gigabit port equipped firewall, switch or router, (dependant on Gateway or Bridge mode) between the CGN3 and the device.

As you have indicated that you have a 100 Mb/s port, there is no doubt that you are running into this problem.  Are you using a third party router for your wireless which also might have a 10/100 Mb/s port?

I Plan to Stick Around

That makes a whole lotta sense—it was driving me crazy. Even my old modem (CGN2), which was on a 35mbps internet connection was giving me faster speeds. Yes, all of my equipment is 100mbps and I can confirm all the lights connected to the ports are green. I do have a tplink wifi powerline extender (AV200) that's attached to one of the ports. It's rated at 300Mbps, but it's also being constricted by the bug I guess (getting 20mbps speeds on that compared to the 80mbps speeds when connected to wifi on CGN3). Is there a bug fix available? Waited an hour at the rogers store today trying to get a new modem only to find the same issue. I wish the techs would of told me this over the phone.