cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Wi-Fi Modem using Hybrid Fibre 150

AskBoB
I Plan to Stick Around

How to set up Guest Access with password protection because Rogers USB stick not provided like the dpc3825 modem and does not work with this newest modem. Rogers tech support kindly set up Guest Access & password but I soon discovered password not needed to access Guest Account because it was open access for anyone so I had them remove for now.

Does anyone know how to turn on & off Guest Account with password protection via some other methodology like the 192.168.0.1 Control Panel? I'm unable to find a manual for this new Advanced Wi-Fi modem router which has the latest firmware version installed but no Guest Account management capability.thx,bob

***edited labels***

85 REPLIES 85

Re: Advanced Wi-Fi Modem using Hybrid Fibre 150

mrbrimi
I Plan to Stick Around

I was given the USB stick with the CGN3 and it worked fine.

But have to admit any time I've let Rogers make adjustments to the modem from their end it has screwed things up.

I'd be inclined to start over with a new modem and make sure it includes the USB stick. 

Yeah, that i can find.. there is no guess access setup via the web interface...
Must be blocked out for some reason..

Remember with a guest access account, it will not be SECURITY enabled, like with a password like a normal security enabled ID..  It will allow anyone to connect.. but then to access out, will have to enter the password, via a webpage which should come up automatically.

Bar necessarily swaping the WHOLE modem (as you would then need likely to wait for the new firmware upgrade again, etc.. would be to go to a rogers store, and see if they can supply you with a proper key (from another modem package even, etc).

ivyyyhay
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a manual which I can find out all the lights at the front of the Hybrid Fibre modem indicate?

While this is not a rogers manual.. this is a generic one for the Hitron CGN3

https://s3.amazonaws.com/modem.manuals/CGN3_UG_v1.1_2013-08-16.pdf

NOTE: some have found, the lights, while marked for the RIGHT things as per that manual... dont always BLINK when activity, as the manual says.

ivyyyhay
I've Been Here Awhile

It really helps. Thanks for the information.

glfbal
I've Been Here Awhile

log into your Modem/Router admin @ 192.168.0.1 .(.besure to copy the password)  under the "security" tab you can turn off the Guest feature for your wifi. You can also create a USB setup for other computers. 

I did get a thumb drive in the bow with my router but I almost missed it. it also has a manual and FAQ's

chh12
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I just got the rogers 150mbps internet with the new CGN3 modem a few days ago and I'm in a strange situation. I'm getting wifi speeds of about 80 mbps, which is okay as i'm just using wireless N 2.4ghz. However, all the wired ports are only giving me about 30mbps (i have a 100mbps network card). I'm not sure if a 100mbps card is limiting my speed or if something is wrong on rogers side. A tech has already told me that all my settings are correct and i've already swapped the modem.

Thanks

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

You have run into a firmware bug within the CGN3.  Look at the back of the CGN3 and confirm that for the port in question, you have a yellow / orange LED indicating a gigabit connection, or, a green LED indicating a 10/100 Mb/s connection.  If the LED is green, you will see throttled down data rates due to the firmware bug, that is, any connection with a 10/100 Mb/s device, which is directly connected to the CGN3 will see throttled down data rates.  To use any 10/100 Mb/s devices and see the max data rate for either the CGN3 or the device, you need to install a gigabit port equipped firewall, switch or router, (dependant on Gateway or Bridge mode) between the CGN3 and the device.

As you have indicated that you have a 100 Mb/s port, there is no doubt that you are running into this problem.  Are you using a third party router for your wireless which also might have a 10/100 Mb/s port?

chh12
I Plan to Stick Around

That makes a whole lotta sense—it was driving me crazy. Even my old modem (CGN2), which was on a 35mbps internet connection was giving me faster speeds. Yes, all of my equipment is 100mbps and I can confirm all the lights connected to the ports are green. I do have a tplink wifi powerline extender (AV200) that's attached to one of the ports. It's rated at 300Mbps, but it's also being constricted by the bug I guess (getting 20mbps speeds on that compared to the 80mbps speeds when connected to wifi on CGN3). Is there a bug fix available? Waited an hour at the rogers store today trying to get a new modem only to find the same issue. I wish the techs would of told me this over the phone.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry to say, no bug fix on the horizon.  As this is just a user community, we're in the dark regarding any upcoming firmware updates, if any.  Easiest fix at the present time, if you are running in Gateway mode is to install a gigabit switch, and run all of your peripheral devices from the switch.  In that configuration all ethernet connected devices will run at their max interconnect rates with the switch, which will mean that you will see 150 Mb/s + speedboost (which should be around 200 Mb/s total) on devices that can handle that data rate.

If you have a gigabit port equipped router, you could put the CGN3 in Bridge mode and use the router for all of your firewall, port forwarding duties, etc, etc.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I just took a look at those powerline adapters..
I am REALLY confused on them....  They only have 10/100 ports on them..

HOW? the heck do they say they are able to 200mbps on them?

So yes, any 10/100 device that will connect to it, essentially links at 1/2 or less than its speed..

As for now, no there is no bug fix available..

But ANY 10/100/1000 devices, will connect and link fine.

What many have been doing, is putting a gigabit switch inbetween.  Plug a gig switch into the CGN3, then the 10/100 into the switch. 
Alternatively, you could just get a GOOD 3rd party router.. put the CGN3 into bridge mode, which effectively puts it into a modem.. the 3rd party router SHOULD then have gigabit ports.

chh12
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the replies Datalink and Gdkitty. The switches are pretty cheap, so that's a good suggestion; but, I'll probably just buy a gigabit router and put it into bridge mode as I don't trust this modem anymore. One thing's for sure—I can always depend on Rogers......to (censored) me off Smiley Surprised

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, buying a new router, thats a whole other discussion, which seems to come up fairly often these days.  Have a look at the last page on this thread for yesterdays's discussion.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/187...

chh12
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the heads up. I better just stick with the switch then. These days my blood pressure shoots way too high and I get an instant headache if something doesn't work the way its suposed to.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just a matter of doing some research and crystal ball gazing for your future device capabilities.

chh12
I Plan to Stick Around

Is it normal for this CGN3/100mbps "throttle" bug to sometimes resolve momentarily? I find that at very seldom random times, the speed actually goes up to 100Mbps, but then comes back down in a matter of minutes to 20-30mbps on the wired connection.

I was on the phone with the Rogers Tech to see if they had any updates on this issue and was surprised to see it work for a second. I hung up the phone thinking my issue was resolved—only to see it back a couple minutes later. I did not call back.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I guess its possible.. it might properly re-link at 100 for a moment.. then go back.

I have about 5 10/100 devices.. but only one is directly conneccted.  I have like 3 switches in my hosue already, as i have to much stuff in my house to connect 😛

chh12
I Plan to Stick Around

Only one of my connections is really important to me (the one to my computer!) so I bought a new powerline adaptor today to see if I could get my speeds up (D-Link DHP-601AV PowerLine AV2 600 Gigabit). I was getting about 60mbps, which is much less than I was expecting the equipment to perform at. As luck would have it—one of the adaptors blew out in the first 20 minutes. Back to square one Smiley Sad 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. i have heard mixed things about the power line adapters..

Lot of varriance of the lines... can really play with the capabilities.  specially if they are not on the same circuit. 

Sound like you might have TOO much power on the lines that blew it.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It looks like your modem and pc are not in the same location.  Can you give us a better idea of what you are trying to do in terms of connecting the pc to the CGN3 and your house layout as it relates to that problem.  Maybe we can suggest a different idea to accomplish that goal.

Topic Stats
  • 85 replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 14 in conversation