Additional Data Charge?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Additional Data Charge?

New to wireless phones.  I received my first bill and was surprised to see "Additional Data Charge" of $15.00 under Regular Charges.  According to my usage summary, I did not come anywhere close to my 200MB limit.  I used WIFI almost exclusively and only used my mobile plan a handful of times to visit a few websites.  It was almost always turned off with no exceptions.  Can someone please explain to me what this charge is?

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Additional Data Charge?

I see that you've just started your services, I have a idea as to what the issue is and it is quite common.

The charge is quite possibly due to "Proration" which means partial services and charges. When you start your services for the first time on a new account, it is very rare that it starts exactly on the biling cycle. When services are used for only part of a month, you will only be charged for part of the services, but will also only have access to a portion of the services.

As an example, lets say the current 55$ plan with 200MB of data was started exactly in the middle of the billing cycle. If so, you would only be partially charged $27.5 +taxes (plus the month in advanced) on your next invoice. You would also only have access to 100 of the inclusive 200MB of data. This would cause you to be charged an overage fee if you were to exceed the 100MB during that time.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

I thought I heard the CRTC put a cap on overage charges?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

incorect.

what the crtc thing did.. was make it so it STOPs at $50/$100 (depends on what type and where).. to prevent bill shock, when you are say roaming, etc.. and accidently rack up a 3000 bill.

If you want to use it, past that usage.. then you need to call into your provider.. and say for this period, to release the lock, and you will be charged at whatever roaming fee applies.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

To be truthful, 200 mb is nothing and so the few times you visited websites was enough to use that up and then some.  Using wifi is good and, to be absolutely certain that it is wifi that is being used, turn off your data. Other than that, monitor data usage even if you do eventually decide to get a larger data plan. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Sounds like you need to pull up your invoice in pdf and have a look at the charges. I have a feeling you'll see "partial charges" listed on the invoice

This is a new phone and plan for you?

- if it is you won't get the full 200mb for the partial usage of the plan for the month

But check the invoicing just to make sure!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

As mentioned, 200MB is not a huge data bucket but it definitely sounds like you were very careful over your useage.  Do check your invoice and see when and how much you were charged for data.  My bill (not Rogers) details every bit of data useage so I can see if there was a spike on a certain day etc.  If something looks unusual, then by all means, call in and question it.

That said, with smarphones today, they are constantly using data in the background, even if you don't have your phone turned on.  The only way to ensure you're not using any data is to turn off "mobile data" in your settings, or to fully shut your phone down.  ie not just turn it off so that you're still able to receive calls etc, but actually power down your phone.  Aside from that, you'll be surprised how many apps and how often your phone will use data unknown to you in the background.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I see that you've just started your services, I have a idea as to what the issue is and it is quite common.

The charge is quite possibly due to "Proration" which means partial services and charges. When you start your services for the first time on a new account, it is very rare that it starts exactly on the biling cycle. When services are used for only part of a month, you will only be charged for part of the services, but will also only have access to a portion of the services.

As an example, lets say the current 55$ plan with 200MB of data was started exactly in the middle of the billing cycle. If so, you would only be partially charged $27.5 +taxes (plus the month in advanced) on your next invoice. You would also only have access to 100 of the inclusive 200MB of data. This would cause you to be charged an overage fee if you were to exceed the 100MB during that time.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I had the same problem.  I just subscribed to a new wireless plan with Rogers and initially had 500MB, but after 5 days realized it's not enough, so upgraded to 1GB and the Rogers Store rep told me it would be effective immediately.  At no point did I go over the limit either in the first 5 days or after, but they charged me $15 for extra data.  I called Rogers and explained the problem and they agreed to take off the $15.  

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm afraid all providers do that sort of thing.  My internet provider (not Rogers) switched me from my 300 Gig plan to a higher speed 100 Gig plan because they said my old plan was obsolete. When I realized I'd be charged exhorbitant overage charges because I regularly exceed 100 Gigs, I called to have it changed to their unlimited plan because they no longer had anthing in between. I ended up with a bill of almost $100 because they overlapped a full month of the new plan over the first 1/2 month of the old one. Businesses maximize their profits by gouging customers any way they can.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Around

What are the additional data charges? I look under each phone number and no one is over their wireless/data but my main line is being. Charged $30 or $60 each month? I'm confused.