cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account shows data use even when phone is not in use

stevenw
I've Been Here Awhile

My Galaxy phone has been showing data usage even when the phone is not in use:

We recently went to the US. The roaming was turned off. The data was disabled. And our account still showed data usage and roaming charges.

We use our WiFi at home for the phone. Even then, for example, our account shows significant data use (8 mb in a 12 hour period while the phone was off). They say there is a four hour delay in data consumption reporting online but this is irrelevant because we didn't use any data hours before, during, or after this time period.

This data problem is happening on a daily basis.

It appears we're being billed for someone else's use because we use data very occasionally and lightly.

We've reported the problem to Rogers (no resolution yet) but wonder if anyone else is having this happen?

I could store the phone in a box for month and it would still show data used. Help!

***edited labels***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Account shows data use even when phone is not in use

Veneratus
I'm Here A Lot

I was a 'victim' of this recently as well.

My usage of my phone has not changed in the 2 years I have had it.  Light e-mail and occassional facebook usage.

I use Advanced Task Killer so apps don't continue running and using data yet this past month I am magically 800mb over my limit.

No acceptable resolution from Rogers on the issue unfortunately.

Mine is the same! I apparently blew through my data plan in 1 week with no more than normal usuage. No one seems to know why yet I still have to pay.... When my contract is up I am leaving rogers.

Silvertag
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm actually in the inverse situation. I can no longer see my data usage online with Rogers web page or with the My account app.

It's been 2 complete bill cycle and i'm still out of data usage feedback. I can only see it on my epost detailed pdf bill. Rogers tech were no help and i'm still awaiting resolution.

Guess i'll blow them off if they ever charge overage on my 6Gig data plan. Well oopsy i can't see my usage too bad Rogers i'm not paying.

When did you start having this issue ? Did it start last month or the month before ??

Nitin
I Plan to Stick Around

best bet is to call in mid afternoon and if the issue isn't resolved get it escalated. That is the only way an issue ever gets resolved, you must get it escalated or the problem will never be solved. 

Me too. I recently posted a similar post earlier this week. I'm using the galaxy Q and I'm being charged data usage no matter what. I've had my phone off for 2 days now just to test out my theory, all wireless connections turned off, all data packets turned off., the phone itself OFF. Yet somehow I've magically used up 18mb in those two days. I was told that maybe there's a delay on rogers.com, but I confirmed with a live help agent that it's updated every 4 hours PLUS again my phone has been off for 2 days.

Samsung Captivate. Mine started doing the same thing last billing cycle.Blew through my data with only minimal usage. I shut down sync and data when I am not using it but I still went way over my allotment. Since these issues started I am unable to view my data usage on line either. I will not pay for additional data usage that I am not using and have no viibility of until I get my bill..

I guess I may as well update to 2.3 and see If that gets rid off the mystery data use then deal with Rogers again to correct my account, 

Mine too.. This is strange. I 've never been over my 1GB limit and, now, for some reason; I am this month.I don't think i've been using my phone more than I have in the past. Probably even less. It is pretty unfortunate that I am unable to see how much over I've gone as well. I can't seem to find it anywhere, just tells me what my cap is.

Another thing, don't they have the pricing of over data charges ANYWHERE? I can't seem to find it. 😕

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor
it's possible if you have some sites open, that automatically refresh to use data without your knowledge. There's an app, Data Counter on the market that may help measure your use.