Access to my web server behind Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
os2rules
I'm Here A Lot

Access to my web server behind Modem

Hi All:

Just got setup on Rogers today after many years with Bell.  Their connection in my area is max of 5 Meg and I'm getting 100 Meg from Rogers for about the smame money - so I'm very happy so far...

I'm rather savy about computers and such, and managed to get my home network up and running with no problem, but I'm unable to access my web server.  This server is hosted on a second computer on my home network.  The modem has this computer in it's configuration so it can see it.

This server runs Apache and just servers a little content (family pictures, news, streaming cameras, etc.).  It was running fine on the DSL, but I can't seem to access it with the new modem.

I read (today) that port forwarding may fix this but I would like to hear for anyone else if they have had this problem and how to solve it. 

I have one of those new modems, not entierly sure the make or model.

Also - does anyone have a link to a manual on the modem?  I usually like to refer to one if I hae a problem.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Access to my web server behind Modem

Ok, its the CGN3.

They dont really supply much documentation.. as there are sometimes a bunch of things in it.. that you CANT do... the Manufacturer makes it with say 100 features.. but the providers is the one who limits what of those are active.

Dont wan the manual to say you can do THIS, when in turn, you cant.

FIRSTLY.. the rogers modem/gateway... nor MOST routers as a whole.. USUALLY do not support what they usually call LOOPBACK.  (there are ocasionally some which do)

When you are internal... and you put in your dyndns address (or even your modem address), they TRY to go to it.  Well, it fails, as you are already INSIDE that address to begin with.

So, when trying to access the webserver, or the cameras, etc, while INSIDE your network.. you would want to use their SPECIFIC internal address. (or host name)

As for the OTHER settings.
Go to the ROUTER settings page (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1  depending on how yours is set up).
Login with the default login 'cusadmin' and password of 'password' (unless you have changed it.. if you have not changed it, i reccomend doing so)

Click on basic at the top.. then port forwarding (might take a min before it goes to the port forwarding, as it finishes loading the device table on the lan setup tab)

you will want to add rules in there 

So make one for Calibre... public and private, put in 8080-8080 (needs a range, so you put it that way, for one port), and then the IP of where it is.  Same sort of thing for the webcam.. the regular web server, etc.

I have a web server, FTP, and a port for my media server, all set up in the CGN3, and it works perfectly fine 🙂

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, we would need to know the model of the exact modem, to be able to help with the manual, and any further configuration 🙂

Now.. when you are trying to access the webserver... is this from INTERNAL? or EXTERNAL you are having problems?

(external, will require port forwarding set up).

os2rules
I'm Here A Lot

Hi:

Thanks for the quick reply.

It seems to be from both ends - but not from the server system.  When I use the IP address of the server from my other computer, or try to access the site from external (I use a DYNDSN to map my IP to my name) I get the Router sign-on.

I also have services running on specific ports (Calibre port 8080, Web Cam on 8081, etc).  From what I understand, these all have to be fixed in the router.

I will try to find the router model if I can.  I got absolutely no documentation - just a plain cardboard box that the modem came in. 

os2rules
I'm Here A Lot

Hi (again):

Looks like it is one of these http://www.rogers.com/web/link/modems

at least it looks like this one

I don't even know if the LAN ports on the back are 100 M or 1 G speed.....

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, its the CGN3.

They dont really supply much documentation.. as there are sometimes a bunch of things in it.. that you CANT do... the Manufacturer makes it with say 100 features.. but the providers is the one who limits what of those are active.

Dont wan the manual to say you can do THIS, when in turn, you cant.

FIRSTLY.. the rogers modem/gateway... nor MOST routers as a whole.. USUALLY do not support what they usually call LOOPBACK.  (there are ocasionally some which do)

When you are internal... and you put in your dyndns address (or even your modem address), they TRY to go to it.  Well, it fails, as you are already INSIDE that address to begin with.

So, when trying to access the webserver, or the cameras, etc, while INSIDE your network.. you would want to use their SPECIFIC internal address. (or host name)

As for the OTHER settings.
Go to the ROUTER settings page (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1  depending on how yours is set up).
Login with the default login 'cusadmin' and password of 'password' (unless you have changed it.. if you have not changed it, i reccomend doing so)

Click on basic at the top.. then port forwarding (might take a min before it goes to the port forwarding, as it finishes loading the device table on the lan setup tab)

you will want to add rules in there 

So make one for Calibre... public and private, put in 8080-8080 (needs a range, so you put it that way, for one port), and then the IP of where it is.  Same sort of thing for the webcam.. the regular web server, etc.

I have a web server, FTP, and a port for my media server, all set up in the CGN3, and it works perfectly fine 🙂

View solution in original post

os2rules
I'm Here A Lot

Hi:

Thanks for the detailed information. 

I'm now at home and I have done what you described about the port forwarding.  I set up the HTTP, Calibre, etc. and pointed them to my server IP address.  Problem is that when the router rebooted (when I saved everything), my server

got assigned a different IP address (DHCP you know...)

So - I set the server with a staic IP address outside of the DHCP range and then re-did all the port forwards.  And of course, rebooted the router.

So - now I have the ports set up and I can access the web pages from INSIDE using the IP address of the server.  I guess I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to see if I can access from OUTSIDE.

I will let you know what happens.  And thanks again.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, You really need to have ANY device, which you port forward to.. on a static address 🙂
(shouldnt matter IF its inside the DHCP range, as the router will pick up on the broadcast, add it to its list, then not assign it.... but it is BEST practice to put it outside).

Assuming its all correct, you should be able to access it.

I have done 80 for my HTTP server and it works fine... when i had an alternate one, on 8080, it did work (no longer use it).

os2rules
I'm Here A Lot

Hi:

Great news - everything seems to be working on the site when I access from an external computer.  My only issue is that I forgot one of the ports to be forwarded so I will add that one later.

Thanks again for the advice / help.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No problems 😄

Glad you got it working.

rodeghiero
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi everyone,

I appear to be in the same boat.  After many years with Bell, I too switched to Rogers Internet and am running the CSN3 router.

I read through this thread and have a very basic understanding of it and feel my issue may be the same or similar.   Sorry for my ignorance.

I have a Synology NAS (model DS412+) which worked great with my Bell router.

I was able to access files on the server from other computers in the house as well as video's through my smart TV.  

Since switching the router out, I am unable to even get into the NAS via the IP address I would type into my browser bar.  I am also unable to see and access the server files from any of the computers in the house with the exception of my Mac for whatever reason.  The server name still appears in the left side of my finder window and despite being slow, I can access files.  The PC's in the house and smart TV are unable to see the NAS.  

I think that this may be a port forwarding issue as well but, have no clue as to how to create rules and/or fix this issue.  

I find it odd that I can't access the server via the IP address anymore and that the files are only accessible via my Mac.  

On a side issue, I was never able to configure my NAS for outside access as I had "port forwarding" issues with the Bell router as well.  At least with Bell, I was able to see, access and maintain the NAS from within my home without issue.  If anyone knows how to set me up so that I can also access the NAS from external sources as well, it would be appreciated.  At this point, I'd be happy to just be able to get it up and running within my home again.  

I'm guessing that Rogers, Synology and Apple will all refuse to provide tech support on the issue.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob