About to take my 3rd Hitron back to Rogers.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

About to take my 3rd Hitron back to Rogers.

Any ideas? Packet loss and wireless are a joke. Even the Cisco worked better then this. Hope I can get another Cisco.

***edited labels***

Steve
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: About to take my 3rd Hitron back to Rogers.

I have been quiet on this issue for awhile, though wintering in Florida and experiencing far better service from Comcast than I have ever received from Rogers may have contributed. 

Your post though just gets to me. It is simply another illustration of the quality of the D3 modems provided by Rogers. There is nothing to say except that they are pure, unadulterated garbage! Hitron, SMC, Cisco - who really cares? None of them are any good. Everyday you can take a look at Rogers Facebook page and see complaints about how bad Internet from Rogers is. Every day you see the same responses - reboot your modem or try a direct Ethernet connection. When will Rogers realize that they are just going through the motions with these responses and until they decide to provide a decent stand alone D3 modem (there are no good gateways), they are going to continue to receive comments like yours!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I agree, their D3 modems are not up to par.  But you must remember, they are not made by Rogers, they are just used by them, and although Rogers has a responsibility to source out good working equipment before they pass that equipment on to the end user, we can only blame them for so much.  They control the infrastructure that these modems use, and there is nothing wrong with the cable network.  I personnally used a regular D2 modem (Moto Surfboard 5100) for well over 7 years - which was connected to my own wi-fi router - and had no problems whatsoever.  As soon as I upgraded to their D3 I had nothing but problems with the wi-fi. I went through 3 modems in the same number of weeks as the wifi was NOT consistant and range was garbage.  But my direct connect desktop has never dropped a connection.

What I'm saying is that the equipment is garbage, not the service (in my case anyways).  Just like a proper home theatre setup, if you want things to work proper, get a seperate device for what you want, i.e. get a dedicated wireless router if you need better wifi, and use Rogers as just a modem.

I'm Here A Lot

@bigjug
The end of your comment makes no sense.... You say the equipment is garbage not the service... I agree on the equipment being garbage but as far as I'm concerned... It IS part of the service! Rogers provides my internet and claims whole home wifi coverage... That is in my service agreement which they are currently not living up to.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

If I have to buy my own router... You'd be much better off with a company like teksavvy who tells you honestly and up front to buy one that suits your needs!
Also for larger homes... Rogers antiquated billing systems won't allow the rental of two modems at one address for those with mansions... Not that it even covers my 2 bdrm apt.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@BigJug wrote:
I personnally used a regular D2 modem (Moto Surfboard 5100) for well over 7 years - which was connected to my own wi-fi router - and had no problems whatsoever.  As soon as I upgraded to their D3 I had nothing but problems with the wi-fi. I went through 3 modems in the same number of weeks as the wifi was NOT consistant and range was garbage.  But my direct connect desktop has never dropped a connection.

Thank you for verifying my point! I am still using an SB5100 exactly for the reason you have pointed out. The SB5100 was and still is a rock solid modem. With my own router, I suffer no dropped connections and get good range throughout my 3-story house. I do not want to "downgrade" to a D3 modem because I do not want to go through what you have gone through. There are just too many horror stories like yours.

I made no comments about the cable network - only about the the current lineup of D3 modems, which are pitiful, to say the least. You are correct in that the modems are not made by Rogers but they have total control over which modems are authorized for use on their system and lately, they have done a poor job at that. There are better modems out there, especially stand alone D3 modems, yet Rogers refuses to allow customers this option. Like ConflictedCust stated, the modems provided by Rogers are part of their service and their service right now is simply not very good. 

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation