cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP to AP (CGN3 to D-Link DIR-868L AC1750)

Nyck
I've Been Here Awhile

Good morning,

I've been looking around for a few hours trying to understand the various methods of attaining the setup I require.

I suppose the biggest setback I've experienced is on the end of my CGN3. I do not believe it natively supports WDS (would be happy to learn otherwise)

I have a D-Link DIR-868L and have flashed DD-WRT to it in order to simplify the steps of my objective.

200892318427926[1].jpg

The "Wireless Router/Access Point" reflects the CGN3 and the TL reflects my DIR-868L (the image conveys my requirement). Simply put, I'd rather not wire my CGN3 to my bedroom in order to supply my desktop PC with access. I also do not have a WiFi dongle. That being said, I'd like to run my 868L as a repeater and connect PC via LAN to 868L via 5GHz band. 

To clarify, the CGN3ACSMR must remain an active router (I am not looking for a LAN bridge)

I've had more difficulty than expected. My understanding thus far is that so long as the 868L operates using the same SSID/security (WPA), yet both operate on different channels, with the 868L having DHCP disabled, a static IP within the CGN3's DHCP range (though I have heard it's wise to be outside of this range-- if it's 'x.x.x.10-200' then using .201 may be optimal to avoid auto assignment of another device..?)

Anyhow, if someone would be kind enough to walk me through on if there is anything to do on the CGN3's end and possibly confirm what I must do on the 868L's end -- eg. enabling WDS on 5GHz, selecting Repeater, manually setting channel, etc..

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the last few hours have been rather painful.

Please forgive the repetition, a bit tired now.

Kind regards & thank you in advance,

Nick

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: AP to AP (CGN3 to D-Link DIR-868L AC1750)

Nyck
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the prompt and thorough replies @Datalink & @Gdkitty. I appreciate you taking an interest in the matter. I decided to try setting up as a repeater. Bridge sounds like it is what I'm looking for, though I figured why not extend my WiFi signal in the process. I will play around with bridge once I've configured repeater successfully.

After 14 hours of uphill battles, several accidental brickings and unexplainable problems,  with my D-Link I'm writing this via my laptop on D-Link's LAN configured as wireless repeater extender. Success!!(yay).. Well...kind of.

I reflashed the firmware back to stock. I figured D-Link's process should be simpler.

I will take your advice @Datalink and post a simplified step-by-step for both D-Link and DD-WRT, as soon as I optimize the D-Link and diagnose/troubleshoot a few more issues. I'd much rather have this setup perfect than as it stands (mediocre).

After reviewing the website @Datalink came across, I discovered a few things.

1. Not all D-Link firmware versions support wireless repeater extender and bridge mode.

2. The firmware attached to the forum you linked to @Datalink is a Singaporean version, which does seem to be working okay nevertheless. I have heard of potential country/region issues causing bricking (there is emergency backdoor on 868L so bricking is not an issue.) I cannot confirm whether my original firmware supported these modes, but will continue testing once I finalize my current setup and document every step. It is seemingly easy once you know what to expect and can navigate the D-Link firmware. *Update -> only seems to support bridge mode and not repeater

3. Part of the problem was I hadn't set DNS to the same as default gateway (192.168.0.1) which prevented me from enabling repeater. 

4. Cannot confirm but suspect 5ghz channels must be manually set to avoid interference (seems obvious though?) 

5. Upload speed reduction (40-100x slower than I would expect) yet download seems to suffer almost no loss. 

6. Very limited features running in repeater mode on D-Link firmware, configurations must be done prior to enabling (DD-WRT is probably much better in respect to 'open-endedness'.

I intend to spend the rest of my day figuring out everything else I'm in the dark about.

I am hoping someone may have some insight as to the following:

1. I cannot manually add a client in DHCP reservation on CGN3. Something is considered invalid ast he MAC address field turns red (trying to simply click "Add" beside the item results in nothing.) I can see the D-Link listed as a client in DHCP tables, which I configure D-Link as dynamic IP, though the CGN3 cannot recognize it when set as static, which is why I'm trying to manually add it. I would like to have a static IP for the D-Link. This also isn't an enormous issue as the D-Link interface is accessible via "http://dlinkrouter.local", but finding a solution may help those who don't have this option. It's also possible this is an entirely unnecessary process, assuming the CGN3 doesn't automatically assign the same IP. I'd rather just like to know what I'm doing wrong on the CGN3 with the DHCP reservation. 

I realize it's an incredibly dry topic and post, but I do appreciate the time anyone takes to help shed some light.

I'll update with anything significant.

Kind regards,

Nick

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wish i knew more about the DD-WRT to help on that part.

GENERALLY, i dont think that the unit by default can act as a repeater/bridge.

But with DD-WRT, if it adds that, it might?

You would really need to look at the DD-WRT functionality in how it works

I have a cheap TP-link repeater unit.
But in its different modes..  when its in wireless 'repeater' mode, it will, as you described above.. take the exisiting SSID, and re-broadcast it (though different channel if you set it up that way, etc). So other wireless devices can connect to it.
BUT, the wired port on it, is disabled.

In full AP mode.. it uses the one wired port as a INPUT port, and just acts as a seperate access point.

Then it has the 'Wireless Bridge' mode.  where really, it just acts more just like wireless card.  It receives the wireless, then passes it on to the one (or many if you put a switch in next) devices.

The wireless bridge mode, is more what It seems like your trying to do?
Though weither the DD-WRT has that mode/option?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, as @Gdkitty indicates, you want to run the D-Link router in Bridge mode, plain and simple.

DD-WRT indicates "WDS (Wireless Distribution Service) creates a wireless backbone link between multiple access points that are part of the same wireless network." In other words, a Wireless Bridge, and... "WDS between different chip vendors (atheros, broadcom, ralink) will not work most of the time since it's INCOMPATIBLE and no we will NOT fix it. "  So, they recognize that there are problems between vendors and simply say take it or leave it.  

Looking at their instructions, they turn something that should be really simple into something complicated.  That system is really designed for two DD-WRT units or more, at either end of a two-way or multi-part "Wireless bridge".  All  you want to do is run the Hitron modem in Gateway mode, with routing and wifi capabilities, and run the D-Link router as the 2nd part of a two-way wireless bridge connecting to your pc.  

Looking around, it looks like D-Link has released an update that incorporates just such a capability.  It would appear that the user manuals have not been updated to include this capability, and, finding an image online that even hints at this is rather difficult.  But, it is there.  Have a look at post #6 in the following thread.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/next-generation-broadband-network-ngbn-forum-320/how-make-dir-868l...

That shows a selectable Wireless Bridge mode included in the drop down menu in the SETUP ..... INTERNET .... BRIDGE MODE part of the user interface.  I haven't been able to find any instructions for it, but that selection would probably disable the firewall, DHCP and possibly wifi encryption.  The wifi encryption would have to match the Hitron's which should be set to WPA-2 AES only, no WEP or TKIP as they are no longer secure.  WEP should be disabled.  So, the question is how do you select the operating channel for the wifi, is it automatic so that it follows the Hitron, or do you have to set it and leave it parked on some channel on both ends.  That is something that requires loaded firmware for the purpose of figuring this out.  You should load the latest version of D-Links firmware for the router and explore the settings for the Wireless Bridge mode.  If you go this route, can you create a list of steps that you took to configure the router and post them.  Undoubtedly, someone else will have the same question at some point in time, and you will have become the forum's expert.  (Secret vote:  All those in favor?  Aye.  Isn't democracy great 🙂 )

Let us know how this is turning out.

Edit:  Looking around, it looks like 192.168.0.50 is the default IP when u set the router as wireless bridge.  So, if you set it to Bridge mode and get kicked out if it reboots, you can try that address.  Or, with the pc connected to the router, you can bring up a command prompt and type in   ipconfig   to determine the gateway address and then log back into the router by using that address.

Setting up the Bridge:

1. Set the Hitron modem to run in its normal Gateway mode
2. Set the Hitron Wifi encryption to WPA-2, AES only
3. Set the wifi channel to 149 or higher for 5 Ghz operation.
4. Download the latest version of the DIR-868L firmware for either the A or B versions of that router
5. Flash the router with that firmware
6. Set the operating mode of the router to Wireless Bridge
7. Determine how to, and set the wifi channel(s) (if necessary)
8. Select the Hitron's network and enter the encryption key for the network.
9. Save the settings.

What is implied for steps 7 and 8 is some method of either selecting the desired wifi channel, or that the router has a different user interface page for the Wireless Bridge mode to do that.  It might be similar to what is seen on a laptop or mobile device, where you don't actually care about the operating channel, all you do is select the correct network and enter the encryption key.  The device then follows the modem's wifi as it changes operating wifi channels up and down and uses the encryption mode as set in the modem wifi settings.

Channel Selection: you can use inSSIDer to determine what channel to operate on.  Load this on a laptop (dual band) and have a look at both bands to determine what channels are occupied and which are available.  This version does not show the 802.11ac network in the 5 Ghz band so it doesn't present the complete 5 Ghz picture.  If you use or intend to use 802.11ac its worth the $20 US to buy the newer licenced version which does have that capability and which can run on a normal 802.11n laptop.  The application reads the transmit headers to detect the 802.11ac networks in operation and displays those along with the 802.11n 5 Ghz networks.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Nyck
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the prompt and thorough replies @Datalink & @Gdkitty. I appreciate you taking an interest in the matter. I decided to try setting up as a repeater. Bridge sounds like it is what I'm looking for, though I figured why not extend my WiFi signal in the process. I will play around with bridge once I've configured repeater successfully.

After 14 hours of uphill battles, several accidental brickings and unexplainable problems,  with my D-Link I'm writing this via my laptop on D-Link's LAN configured as wireless repeater extender. Success!!(yay).. Well...kind of.

I reflashed the firmware back to stock. I figured D-Link's process should be simpler.

I will take your advice @Datalink and post a simplified step-by-step for both D-Link and DD-WRT, as soon as I optimize the D-Link and diagnose/troubleshoot a few more issues. I'd much rather have this setup perfect than as it stands (mediocre).

After reviewing the website @Datalink came across, I discovered a few things.

1. Not all D-Link firmware versions support wireless repeater extender and bridge mode.

2. The firmware attached to the forum you linked to @Datalink is a Singaporean version, which does seem to be working okay nevertheless. I have heard of potential country/region issues causing bricking (there is emergency backdoor on 868L so bricking is not an issue.) I cannot confirm whether my original firmware supported these modes, but will continue testing once I finalize my current setup and document every step. It is seemingly easy once you know what to expect and can navigate the D-Link firmware. *Update -> only seems to support bridge mode and not repeater

3. Part of the problem was I hadn't set DNS to the same as default gateway (192.168.0.1) which prevented me from enabling repeater. 

4. Cannot confirm but suspect 5ghz channels must be manually set to avoid interference (seems obvious though?) 

5. Upload speed reduction (40-100x slower than I would expect) yet download seems to suffer almost no loss. 

6. Very limited features running in repeater mode on D-Link firmware, configurations must be done prior to enabling (DD-WRT is probably much better in respect to 'open-endedness'.

I intend to spend the rest of my day figuring out everything else I'm in the dark about.

I am hoping someone may have some insight as to the following:

1. I cannot manually add a client in DHCP reservation on CGN3. Something is considered invalid ast he MAC address field turns red (trying to simply click "Add" beside the item results in nothing.) I can see the D-Link listed as a client in DHCP tables, which I configure D-Link as dynamic IP, though the CGN3 cannot recognize it when set as static, which is why I'm trying to manually add it. I would like to have a static IP for the D-Link. This also isn't an enormous issue as the D-Link interface is accessible via "http://dlinkrouter.local", but finding a solution may help those who don't have this option. It's also possible this is an entirely unnecessary process, assuming the CGN3 doesn't automatically assign the same IP. I'd rather just like to know what I'm doing wrong on the CGN3 with the DHCP reservation. 

I realize it's an incredibly dry topic and post, but I do appreciate the time anyone takes to help shed some light.

I'll update with anything significant.

Kind regards,

Nick

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation