ANGRY*****Charged 200$ for last 30 days when not living in service area?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

ANGRY*****Charged 200$ for last 30 days when not living in service area?

Rogers,

I just was on a 3.5 hour phone call with 8 different "consultants" trying to cancel my service as I live out of the service coverage area.

I was told that I lived in a Provincial Park, so I could not have the cancellation fees waived.  I was then transferred to a manager who had no idea why one of their staff you go on to argue this point with me.  This manager then tried to argue with me and say that I do live in the service area. He then called the technical people (people, this was the third technical person) who then told me I do live in the service area.  I continued to push the fact that i do not have service at my home, I was sitting there at the moment!  Finally, the technical guy came back and told me I was correct, there is in fact- NO COVERAGE. 

Anyways, this technical guy told me he would speak to the cancellation people on my behalf and tell them that even though there online map shows that I have coverage, there is in fact none. 

Another half hour goes by, Mike in cancellation comes on the phone to tell me has no way to override the system as the system thinks I have coverage. I ask to speak to a manager.

Tara, the so called "manager"  has no idea what was going on.   She can only see I last spoke to the first manager, then proceeds to put me on hold to get this figured out. 

After 3.5 hours total, I am told I have to pay my last 30 day even though I have no service, and I am not allowed to downgrade my services for these 30 days.  So there you have it folks!  ROGERS SUCKS.  Good luck trying to cancel

****Edited Labels****

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: ANGRY*****Charged 200$ for last 30 days when not living in service area?

i know it sucks, but i would pay the 30 days in a heart beat rather than the $500 or what ever it costs to cancel your voice and data agreement, then appeal the charges later. that should do the trick

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am guessing, there TECHNICALY may be coverage roughly in that area.. problem is its not GAURANTEED in that area, just that its there, there could be pockets with/without Smiley Sad

The 30 days, is pretty much industry standard, for any services like this.  Bell, Telus, etc, all of them, if you have to cancel, for whatever reason, you have to give 30 days notice.. regardless of the provider, this would have happened im affraid.

When changing to a new provider, make sure to ask around actualy people (not the stores themselves) ask others who live in the area, who have cell phones, WHAT provider/coverage they get, to find one that DOES work there.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

yeah the 30 days is pretty much standard, i would just pay it and move on

I'm a Trusted Contributor

30 days may be pretty much the standard and makes sense if you are discontinuing a service out of choice. But really, why should you have to pay for a service a company can no longer provide you?
At most a small admin fee to cancel should be all that is reuired.

It doesn.t seem very ethical to to me and I have a hard time thinking of any other instance where anyone would willing pay for something they are not receiving.
I would pay the fee, then try to get reimbursed by after the fact. Even if it meant more hrs. on the phone or senting a registered letter to the head honcho in the PR department.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While I agree in some ways, it all depends.

If someone moves out of the coverage area (yes possibly due to necessity due to work, etc), that really is not Rogers fault in the end.

If its a coverage is said to be there, get phone, then it's not, should be a full refund from the beginning, but the person wouldn't really have used the phone

I've Been Around

I am moving out of their service area but they are still giving me a hard time. They said my new address is in a covered area. When I look at their coverage map, I'm not in it. More importantly, I can't use my cell phone or tablet at my new address. They said I will have to call technical support in my new province. How the heck do I do that without a phone!!! Morons. They have no idea what they are talking about. So frustrating to deal with. My new neighbours in Nova Scotia hate Rogers and whole-heartedly agree to stay away from them. The librarian at the public library actually said that Rogers is the only company she refuses to deal with. She said, "I think that Satan's last name is Rogers". LMAO Too funny.