A Company WITH Compassion

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

A Company WITH Compassion

** Please scroll to bottom as my issue has been resolved and my faith in humanity restored. **

Dear Rogers customers,

I wanted to share my story of how heartless and greedy a national telecommunications company can be. In September of last year I had to fly home to California for 3 days for a funeral, and while there used my phone. I was recieving a number of condolence messages, and felt it was important I kept my other family and friends in the loop. In October, Rogers slammed me with an $878 bill, $500+ alone for roaming charges, and despite my calls and efforts, have done nothing to help lower the bill- which was twice as expensive as my flight home. I am writing about it months later because I have still not been able to balance my account, making only minimal payments to maintain service. I cannot express how deeply saddened I am that a corporation would choose to take advantage of such an unfortunate circumstance, and how even when it's handled honestly, offers no compassion. I hope you'll consider this story when you consider renewing your contracts, thank you for your time! 

Cassie

****Edited Labels****

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: A Company Without Compassion

Hello Cassienalty

I am sorry to head about the funeral & all :(. The problem is when you fly out of the country / city, make sure you have a roaming package as this can happen. Every carrier has roaming packages different prices & such. Have you spoken to the Office of the President about this issue? If not, i would suggest doing that as they may be able to help you out more then normal reps. Also have you spoke to Managers as well?

Its sad because even tho you made the mistake & admit to it, they do not seem to care about helping you out. In order for them to give you a credit, the credit must be issued by a Supervisor or a Manager.

My condolence to you & you're family as well :(.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My condolences on the passing.

PLEASE do not take what i write next as cold and hartless.  I do still recomend you following up as meowmix reccomended.

Rogers in this case, is no different than any other phone company in that way.  If you had a US company and came to canada for the same thing, they would charge roaming just the same.

Hopefuly rogers can see some compassion to lessen the bill a little at least.. but i can understand their standings on it. 

While YOU are not trying to do this... what is to stop say myself from going on vacation, wracking up roaming fees, then saying the same thing as you?  There are many people that would use it to cheat the system.  Its because of THESE people, often why they have to be so tight on not lessening these charges 😞

Again, i am not trying to make YOU out to be the badguy here.  Call and get a manager and try again.  Get the managers name, and a transaction ID number of the call.  Use this to contact the office of the president, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for your input, it is reassuring that someone has a heart. Am currenting going through the process of contacting the Office of the President. Have not had any luck so far because Ive been told they were "justified charges" and it was more than three months ago.. although they can clearly see I called in October and tried to fix the issue then, but was met with snobby and unhelpful Customer Service Reps. I am hoping they can see that I have been trying to make payments, but it is nearly impossible to recover from a nearly $900 bill as a student working part time! Will continue with it until it is either resolved, even if by an Ombudsman, or I terminate my contract with Rogers. Is hard to feel good about having a contract with a company if they do not help in these sorts of situations. Wish me luck!

I've Been Here Awhile

Was able to have issue resolved by a very helpful Customer Service Manager named Lena. I guess a little persistence and the right people, go a long way. 

Thank you Rogers!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Glad to hear you got it resolved 🙂

I know it wasnt the first thing on your mind, but next time you do have to run to the US, etc.. make sure to make a quick call to rogers and have them add a travel package on for you, or IF you can, just dont use your phone.  Hopefuly this doesnt happen again.

And again, condolences on your loss.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

There is simply no other industry in existence that can justify or charge the kinds of costs for roaming that telecom does, for literally no extra labor or effort on their part.  It's more like dealing with a gangster loanshark than a legitimate business.

This is exactly the reason the CRTC is stepping in to curtail telecom company freedoms.  It's amazing that you need to make a law telling companies that can't charge you $800 for something that costs them $10-20 at best, but for telecom this is necessary.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actualy, in the case of roaming.. while i am sure there is a small proffit margin in it... its not ROGERS charging for the roaming really in the end.  When the roaming is done, its the OTHER telecom companies, that are charging rogers for the usage at whatever rate, rogers pays them, then rogers passing the bill along to you to pay them back.

So while yes, there could be some curtailing of this at least in canada.. make sure canadian telecom companies dont over charge when going on other canadian ones.. you can not stop what these OTHER countries are charging rogers for using on their networks