8642hd now warm brick

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

8642hd now warm brick

I have an 8642hd that is displaying Er:75 alternating with b5tr on the lcd.   No display on the tv screen.

It doesn't respond to any of the chords [ that I could find ] for reset, reboot, etc...

Anybody have a pointer to these error codes, or a more complete list of magic button combinations?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
I'm Here A Lot

Re: 8642hd now warm brick

Thanks for the info.  Another didn't help; checked the old one for grins, it was fine.

Pretty short lifespan for this device.

At least I can use the drive for something else...

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i beleive there are codes for a reset.. not sure what they are (and may not work while its in that state).

You can do a hard reboot (which is usualy what most do in any reboot scenario) by just pulling the plug.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Theres a harder  reboot method that is used to clear all the cache from the boxes memory.  You may need a friend to help - Press and hold the power button while the box is on, then pull the power plug (this is where a friend may help) but continue to hold the power button.  Wait about 8-10 seconds - all the while holding the power button - and re-plug in the box to the power outlet.  You may see some codes flash on the screen, and you may see the typical hex countdown, start with rxxx.

This is used to fully clear out the memory, and reload the o/s.  The box should pull all the data from the network and may take upwards of 15-20 minutes to load.

Really the only servicable part in these boxes are probably the hard drive - if you have no luck with the above instructions, you may want to remove the hard drive, and try to boot without it, or track down another sata drive (one you KNOW is working) and swap it out and try to reboot to see if (original) the hard drive is dead.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the info.  Another didn't help; checked the old one for grins, it was fine.

Pretty short lifespan for this device.

At least I can use the drive for something else...

View solution in original post