8642HD - recorded programs disappeared although space is 41% full

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

8642HD - recorded programs disappeared although space is 41% full

This morning all of the recorded programs on our purchased 8642HD have disappeared.  Tried rebooting - nothing.  Oddly, the list page shows that available space is 41% full, although I can't access any content.  I hate to lose the recordings, but more importantly, I don't want them taking up space.

Not a fan of this unit anyway, but I've never lost programs before.  Any suggestions?  TIA

***Edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: 8642HD - recorded programs disappeared although space is 41% full

Hello kwolfe

My HD PVR did the same exact thing this morning. Took the box in and got another one. Last nights update seemed to have deleted some recordings. That is what a Roger tech support and Manager told me. At least they were honest about it as well.

The thing I want to know is why it shows its still full meanwhile its empty.. I wonder if the update ruined a few things as well.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I've had the same unit now for about 2 years and Enhanced guide for about 6 months now.   While I have found many annoying bugs on this thing it's never done what is described here.

YOu might try and do a soft reboot of the box using Remote, Settings, Troubleshooting and re-boot feature (or unplugging works just as well).   If that fails you can also do a factory reset.   In Settings, then Troubleshooting there is a factory re-set option that wipes out your hard drive and starts clean.     If you do this though you will lose everything including your scheduled recordings and all will need to be re-entered.   Last resort but it might work.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for letting me know about the update.  We own our machine, so I can't get a new one Smiley Sad

I never realized that Rogers updates messed with the dvr.  You'd think they would give us some notice (or do they??) so we could at least make an effort to watch the shows we've recorded.

BTW, now my list says 0% full.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe just took some time to update that it was empty?

Just checked mine, and its still ok, all recordings. Update may have only effected some boxes (or didn't push out to all)

Unfortunately they don't announce when the updates are comming out, nor a release note type of thing. Smiley Sad

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Like Gdkitty posted, neither the recorded or scheduled programs on my PVR went missing after the 1am update. I have never had a problem with recordings being wiped out, but having said that, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but I always make sure that all recorded programs are marked "save until I delete".
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jays77

This never happened to me until a few months ago. I was like " Oh it won't happen to me". Few days later it did and still does. I really hope you guys don't have to go threw this anyways. Its a shame a multi billion dollar company can't even update boxes without erasing customers recordings.

Reading forums on here and other sites, there is a couple thousand customers complaining about this. It semes Rogers either does not know how to fix it or is lazy to fix this issue.

There are some customers that do not have their recordings erased but most of have to go threw this on a monthly bases. Changing boxes and such does not do anything either.

Sad but true.
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah this is realy weird, It just makes no sense that peoples recordings get erased just because Rogers sends out updates or upgrades to the box, your recordings should stay intact at all times no matter what. I have Bell along side Rogers till the end of the month, and I get updates or upgrades from bell and the recordings are no affected by it, none of the recordings get lost or disapear. so it is definetly a Rogers thing.. Rogers as we all know has a problem BIG time.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When the box goes through the IPG change if it was on the old one, or back to the old one, i could understand potentialy it loosing the recordings.. its doing a major change to the software, potentialy in how it records/schedules, etc.. so that i could see the potential loss.

But generaly yes, there shouldnt be a reason on a minor update that they should be lost.. that should only be effecting parts of the software, and not potentialy the file system or anything else, that a full 'os' change so to speak on it would.

I only say this, due to helping another user, who had an extender on the 8300 old guide, and when it was pluged into the 8642 wanted to format it, so likely had to update its storage format, etc for the new guide.

Its too bad, with issues like these, they couldnt be easily mapped to see WHERE this is happening.  I have no doubt as per meowmixes post, saying there are 1000's reporting having it happen.  But i am just curious as to WHERE they are happening.  While it may not have anything to do with it, just wondering if it does.
I often dont seem to be effected, by many of the issues that others report.. but i am also in a very different area than many of them that do report at least on the forums here and say where they are.

Regardless.. it IS something that rogers should fix.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Makes you wonder if Rogers is monitoring this unpaid focus group to get actual reactions to their hardware. Most likely they sit around during their breaks reading these comments and peeing themselves laughing. No. That's probably not really true.

I'm not a Rogers employee, in fact I don't even know anyone who is a Rogers employee and I don't even like saying ROGERS....