cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8642HD PVR has trouble fast forwarding on HDFOX channel recordings

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I'm experiencing a very strange problem on my 8642HD PVR that started happening since the Enhanced Guide upgrade a few months ago.   The problem occurs on both the local time zone and the HDFOXW channel as well.

Whenever I record any show on the HDFOX channel, the recording happens successfully, however when I play it back and try to fast forward or rewind that program (ie. to skip commercials) the unit stops answering the remote signals and keeps going sometimes as far as the end of the program.  The fast forward keeps going even though I ask it to stop.   The same problem also occurs in rewind mode.   It's as if the data stream recorded is damanged or corrupt and the software loses control of what to do.  

I then discovered that if i record the same shows that are broadcast on another channel at the same time (quite common that a canadian HD channel will be braodcasting the same show at same time) there problem does not occur with that recording.   It was only thru experimentation that I discovered this work around.    Since then I now record all my shows avoiding the FOX channel and avoid this problem.

I already tested the hard drive in the unit externally to make sure that it's healthy and it is.  I also did a factory reset a few weeks ago on the system and wiped out the hard drive and re-entered all my recordings from scratch but no change after all this.   Also, none of the software updates in the last few months have made a difference in fixing this problem.   All other channels record successfully and no problems fast forwarding thru those shows although the enhanced guide software is generally slow at everything since the upgrade.

Another unique problem to this is that if I schedule a lot of repeat recordings, ie. weekly or every day of the week, they happen  successfully but there seems to be a threshold as to how many the software can display in scheduled recordings.   There are shows that are scheduled for weekly recordings that don't show up on the listing for scheduled recordings so it makes it difficult to find them or delete them afterwards, etc.   I didn't take a count but I record just about everything that I watch first.   They are visible for playback though in terms of what was recorded.  It's only if I want to delete a repeat recording that sometimes I can't find it to do so.   This is very annoying to say the least.

Just curious if any others are seeing these issues.  

***Edited labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: 8642HD PVR has trouble fast forwarding on HDFOX channel recordings

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

I also have the same issue as your last (long) paragraph.  Really weird.  Not listed but gets recorded anyway.  Thing is, I can't tell if it's just not displaying or has indeed been lost (which has happened).

techguy001

In my case they're still recording on the weekly schedule but they don't show up in the listings.

Is it that its not showing up the the GUIDE? as when you browse the guide, your not seeing the 3 circle marker or anything to indicate that its going to record?
Or that you are not seeing it when you go into the LIST button, and over to scheduled recordings that way?

techguy001

Yes to both.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
He not showing on the guide, is a known bug. It will sometimes show the day of, but not always.

As for the other one. In not sure. While mine don't show on the guide, they do appear on my scheduled listing (hitting list twice). Have you tried rebooting the box? I find that sometimes clears up some display issues with the recorded stuff some times.
Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation