Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: 8642

Hi Meowmix,

I am aware of the issues people are having with the new guide.  I was just suggesting a solution that people might not be aware off.  In the end it's your choice whether you want to go with a stable old guide, or put up with the issues of the new one.

If more people start requesting the old guide, Rogers might put more effort into fixing the new one.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello mfait

Its been happening for almost a year now. Rogers should have gotten the memo or the understanding that most of us hate the new guide & want it changed to a better one with updates that we can control or at a different time.

The fact is that we have ONLY 3 choices right now.

1) Stay with the new guide
2) Change to the old guide
3) Leave Rogers for another cable provider.

Those are the only solutions until Rogers fixes the new guide.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The real problem is Cisco's garbage products and rogers failure to admit and do anything about them. Until Rogers eliminates/ends the contract they have with Cisco complaints will continue. There HAS to be a better supplier than these guys with their decades old boxes.   Point blank!

***Edited for Content***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

About the 8300PVR no longer being sold.

Rogers is still selling the 8300HD PVR with a two year warantee for $180.00 (Cost is $7.50 per month). They are doing it through the Shopping Channel:

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/Rogers/Digital-Cable/Rogers-SA8300-High-Definition-PVR-Refurbished...

I got one in December 2012.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello bennet2198

Yes anyone can get it threw them BUT Rogers stopped supporting it and selling it them selfs. Any third party company can still sell it.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

The 8642 runs the old software (that it originally used) really quickly and is much faster than my older 3250HD. The enhanced guide seems to be what is causing the problem. As soon as it installed itself onto my 4642 it said er99 and had to be replaced.

I recommend you get the 8642 but don't install the enhanced guide unless/until necessary, or you want to upgrade to it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Not true Meowmix, Rogers still supports the 8300.

The unit I bought from the Shopping Network includes a two year warrantee from Rogers. If it breaks, Rogers will replace it.

Chris

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Bennet2198

Yes just the warranty BUT if you want to go to the store & give it in to get another 8300, the stores do not have ANY 8300 as Rogers discontinued that model. The stores will give you a new model instead. That is what will happen.

No Rogers store sells that & not even Rogers them self's over the phone or on their website if you wish to get one for rent or rent to own program. You can buy it for $179.99 on the Red Hot deals on their site but that is about it.  The warranty will come with it as anything you buy.

If you call Rogers cable department & ask for the 8300, they will tell you they stopped selling it & are fazing it out. the support for those boxes are ONLY if customers have them

You are buying the box outright & after the warranty is done, they will not support it. They will tell you to get a new box.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Meowmix

Yes the stores do have them, at least in my location.

I replaced my purchased 8300HD a couple of times this year when the tech people were working on a recording problem I was having with it.

Two different stores in Cambridge had them. I phoned before I went.

Chris

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello bennet2198

No store in Toronto, Calgary & Vancouver in the major cities sell the 8300 PVR anymore. Call Rogers & ask them. All reps will tell you the 8300 PVR was discontinued late last year. The stores you go to must have some left over so they are giving them out. Give it a month or so & they will not have them.

Believe me everyone on here has said the same. We are not giving you false info. The 8300 was discontinued by Rogers. Stores that have them is because they still have them left over in their inventory & the store manager picked to keep them.

Why do you think when you go on the Rogers site on their cable section you do not see the 8300 box but you see the new boxes? they brought out the 8642HD PVR & the NextBox 8642HD PVR &  discontinued the 8300. You will only find it at a few limited stores which have them left over in their inventory & on the Shopping channel.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=cable_hardware_page