Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: 8642

Hi Meowmix,

So, if my 8300 PVR breaks, they will replace it with the 8642? Sounds good to me.

I had a 8642 on loan from Rogers repair group in April, 2013 to see if I could reproduce a bug that appeared  on my 8300 (two programs recording with the same start time - 30% of the time one of the two would fail to record). I had at that time replaced the 8300 twice with all three machines failing in the same way. It has always worked before, so it must be a firmware problem.

I had the 8642 for several days. It worked perfectly. I did over 60 tests to see if I could get it to fail and everything worked as it should. This unit had the old guide installed, of course. We all know the new guide is a piece of crap. (don't get me started Smiley Happy

When I first tried the 8642, it was running with the new guide. I returned it immediately and replaced it with the 8300. This was in the middle of last year when the 8300 was a rental. After that experience, I decided to hold on to the  8300 for as long as possible and when I saw it on sale for $180, I bought one in December.

I do realize that the 8300 has been discontinued, and if they can fix the firmware to eliminate the recording problem, I will be happy to keep it for two more years.

If the only way for Rogers to fix my 8300 is to replace it with an 8642, I would not complain as long as the old guide is available.