cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remaxman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Constantly reboots by itself. Very sluggish channel changing. Locks up when your delete unwanted channels (which took me about an hour to do) I wish I could get my HD 8300 back. On my third 8642 now.

***Edited labels***

Steve
20 REPLIES 20

Re: 8642

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Possibly just a bad box.

I have not deleted channels myself though.

But other than that, have had verry little problem with it, and owned mine for over a year now.  Only one lockup with the new IPG when deleting a file.

snafu169
I Plan to Stick Around

my initial question would be do you have the newer guide,  The 8642 box with the original guide loaded much quicker than the preivious Digital boxes.

yes, i do have the new guide, and the whole home PVR.

Got a slight delay in commands yesterday, but thats the first time since i had the ipg updated.

remaxman

The box is getting worse and worse. It requires a reboot a few times a day. Also it reboots by itself. The staff at the rogers store said it was driving them crazy with all the box returns. I'm trying to get my 8300 back. Another thing. I shift work so I'm watching tv late at night. Around 2 am the box reboots and says it is downloading network udate. This happens every night. I know better now not to watch anything on tv at that time now. This totally sucks for my 300 bucks a month!

Steve

remaxman

And I repeat. This is my 3rd box so far and they all did the same thing.

Steve

DWR
I Plan to Stick Around

Maybe you should just put it under a bus! Sorry!! I know how you feel. The equipment supplied by Rogers is absolute garbage.

byteme
I Plan to Stick Around

on my fourth one they are garbage

mine has again locked up after a wonderful update

mfait

I have the 8642 PVR and I don't have any of the issues people are talking about.

NOTE:  I am using the old quide.  I asked Rogers to switch me back about a week after they introduced the new guide due to it's performance issues.

If you don't need the Netbox feature, get Rogers to swittch you back to the old guide.  No need to go all the way back to the 8300 PVR to fix your issues.

We are usually not up at 2:00 AM so I am not sure about the quantity of upgrades compared to the new guide, but if they are happening, they are not causing me any issues.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello mfait

Actually the updates during the night on the 8642 HDPVR Nextbox with the new guide causes a few issues.

1) Leaves the LED front display on
2.) reboots the box
3.) Leaves the box on at times.

& many more. Research on here & see how many people like my self hate this. Its gotten to the point of WHY should be downgrade to a older guide just to not have issues? You know? Bring out something better then buggy OS for the cable boxes.

Once you go to the old Guide, you will not have updates during the night or anything like that BECAUSE you are using the old guide.

Rogers stopped selling the 8300 PVR almost a year ago once they brought out the NextBox.

mfait

Hi Meowmix,

I am aware of the issues people are having with the new guide.  I was just suggesting a solution that people might not be aware off.  In the end it's your choice whether you want to go with a stable old guide, or put up with the issues of the new one.

If more people start requesting the old guide, Rogers might put more effort into fixing the new one.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello mfait

Its been happening for almost a year now. Rogers should have gotten the memo or the understanding that most of us hate the new guide & want it changed to a better one with updates that we can control or at a different time.

The fact is that we have ONLY 3 choices right now.

1) Stay with the new guide
2) Change to the old guide
3) Leave Rogers for another cable provider.

Those are the only solutions until Rogers fixes the new guide.

pac_west227

The real problem is Cisco's garbage products and rogers failure to admit and do anything about them. Until Rogers eliminates/ends the contract they have with Cisco complaints will continue. There HAS to be a better supplier than these guys with their decades old boxes.   Point blank!

***Edited for Content***

bennett2198
I Plan to Stick Around

About the 8300PVR no longer being sold.

Rogers is still selling the 8300HD PVR with a two year warantee for $180.00 (Cost is $7.50 per month). They are doing it through the Shopping Channel:

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/Rogers/Digital-Cable/Rogers-SA8300-High-Definition-PVR-Refurbished...

I got one in December 2012.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello bennet2198

Yes anyone can get it threw them BUT Rogers stopped supporting it and selling it them selfs. Any third party company can still sell it.

The 8642 runs the old software (that it originally used) really quickly and is much faster than my older 3250HD. The enhanced guide seems to be what is causing the problem. As soon as it installed itself onto my 4642 it said er99 and had to be replaced.

I recommend you get the 8642 but don't install the enhanced guide unless/until necessary, or you want to upgrade to it.

bennett2198
I Plan to Stick Around

Not true Meowmix, Rogers still supports the 8300.

The unit I bought from the Shopping Network includes a two year warrantee from Rogers. If it breaks, Rogers will replace it.

Chris

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Bennet2198

Yes just the warranty BUT if you want to go to the store & give it in to get another 8300, the stores do not have ANY 8300 as Rogers discontinued that model. The stores will give you a new model instead. That is what will happen.

No Rogers store sells that & not even Rogers them self's over the phone or on their website if you wish to get one for rent or rent to own program. You can buy it for $179.99 on the Red Hot deals on their site but that is about it.  The warranty will come with it as anything you buy.

If you call Rogers cable department & ask for the 8300, they will tell you they stopped selling it & are fazing it out. the support for those boxes are ONLY if customers have them

You are buying the box outright & after the warranty is done, they will not support it. They will tell you to get a new box.

bennett2198
I Plan to Stick Around

Meowmix

Yes the stores do have them, at least in my location.

I replaced my purchased 8300HD a couple of times this year when the tech people were working on a recording problem I was having with it.

Two different stores in Cambridge had them. I phoned before I went.

Chris

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello bennet2198

No store in Toronto, Calgary & Vancouver in the major cities sell the 8300 PVR anymore. Call Rogers & ask them. All reps will tell you the 8300 PVR was discontinued late last year. The stores you go to must have some left over so they are giving them out. Give it a month or so & they will not have them.

Believe me everyone on here has said the same. We are not giving you false info. The 8300 was discontinued by Rogers. Stores that have them is because they still have them left over in their inventory & the store manager picked to keep them.

Why do you think when you go on the Rogers site on their cable section you do not see the 8300 box but you see the new boxes? they brought out the 8642HD PVR & the NextBox 8642HD PVR &  discontinued the 8300. You will only find it at a few limited stores which have them left over in their inventory & on the Shopping channel.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=cable_hardware_page

bennett2198
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Meowmix,

So, if my 8300 PVR breaks, they will replace it with the 8642? Sounds good to me.

I had a 8642 on loan from Rogers repair group in April, 2013 to see if I could reproduce a bug that appeared  on my 8300 (two programs recording with the same start time - 30% of the time one of the two would fail to record). I had at that time replaced the 8300 twice with all three machines failing in the same way. It has always worked before, so it must be a firmware problem.

I had the 8642 for several days. It worked perfectly. I did over 60 tests to see if I could get it to fail and everything worked as it should. This unit had the old guide installed, of course. We all know the new guide is a piece of crap. (don't get me started Smiley Happy

When I first tried the 8642, it was running with the new guide. I returned it immediately and replaced it with the 8300. This was in the middle of last year when the 8300 was a rental. After that experience, I decided to hold on to the  8300 for as long as possible and when I saw it on sale for $180, I bought one in December.

I do realize that the 8300 has been discontinued, and if they can fix the firmware to eliminate the recording problem, I will be happy to keep it for two more years.

If the only way for Rogers to fix my 8300 is to replace it with an 8642, I would not complain as long as the old guide is available.

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 10 in conversation