cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8642 PVR Reboots When Scheduled Recordings Start and Stop; Recording Gets Lost as Result

Kasady
I'm Here A Lot

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I have been experiencing problems with the new IPG and recordings on our "owned" Cisco 8642 HD PVR ever since we upgraded to the whole home PVR option using the PVR plus an additional HD box that we are now renting. A couple of weeks ago, we noticed that we were losing channels to the digital realm (ie. Teletoon, PeachTree TV) and decided it was time to upgrade. The install/set-up occurred on Thursday, April 4, 2013 with the help of a Rogers contracted technician here in London, Ontario and went rather quickly. There appeared to be no issues. However, the following nights revealed some problems. The problems are:

• The PVR will reboot at the start of a scheduled PVR recording then the PVR will reboot at the end of the scheduled PVR recording
  • The PVR then deletes the recorded title that started the reboot problem in the first place

I followed some steps to perform a "hard" reboot of the PVR - power off PVR, unplug it for 5 to 10 seconds, plug back in. I have done this once on my own and once with a Rogers technical support person on the phone (last night). This has not done anything to solve the situation at all. My husband and I are VERY disappointed at the moment - frustrated. My husband suspects that there are still many bugs with the existing IPG firmware version that have not been remedied or even identified (maybe). We're beginning to wonder if we can get the new firmware re-installed or not. And if that doesn't work, maybe we could get the old programming guide back? We'd rather go back to the old guide than deal with this disappointment.

Also, last night we noticed that the PVR had 17.9% used (89 Gb of 500 Gb) when we didn't even have any recordings saved. We had a bunch of programs saved prior to upgrading from the old programming guide to the new one. Is it possible that those recordings are still there and somehow not visible? Then, tonight, when we tried to record a program that just rebooted our PVR twice, the recording never saved (maybe due to the reboot at the end f the program?). But... the PVR now (tonight) has 19.9% (99 Gb) of used space. How is that possible when we have no recordings listed on the PVR anywhere? Again, very frustrating. We're worried that the technician didn't do the install on our 8642 properly and has perhaps ruined our owned 8642 equipment. To own one of these PVR's is to invest a good chunk of coin so to have it damaged in any way by the programming done would not be a good news story at all. Any advice or comments would be welcomed. We're looking to contact Rogers again tomorrow night when we have time to sit on the phone and go through the troubleshooting again....

***Edited labels***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: 8642 PVR Reboots When Scheduled Recordings Start and Stop; Recording Gets Lost as Result

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, you can contact them, and have them revert it to the old guide.  This usualy does a FULL wipe on the device, so hopefuly should wipe out any of the stuff taking up space.

It does seem, that with the screwed up recordings.. that they are being SAVED per say there..but because of whatever fault, the system is ignoring them, etc.

I myself have not experienced this issue... and not heard of this EXACT issue before here (the reboot before and after).

After going back to the old guide, you could have them re-push the current one back on again, if you wished.
But i would leave it on the old.. and see if the same issue persists.

How old is the owned unit?  its quite possible.. that it could be the hard drive failing on the unit.. thats whats **bleep** it up with crashing etc.

Re: 8642 PVR Reboots When Scheduled Recordings Start and Stop; Recording Gets Lost as Result

Thanks for the response Kitty. The PVR is just over a year old I would say. We bought it from Best Buy. We never had the recording issues before we upgraded to the new IPG. Maybe there is a diagnostic function built into the firmware that consumers don't readily have access to that could determine what the problem is. Would certainly be a good troubleshooting tool to help the tech support people figure things out. We will be contacting Rogers tech support tonight to review our options and listen to any recommendations they may have. Do you recall whether or not a technician would need to come out again for reverting back to the old programming guide set-up and if we would be expected to pay for that visit? I sure hope not.

On your comment about the PVR being completely wiped on reverting back, shouldn't the PVR have been wiped when the new guide got installed? Ever since the upgrade, we always saw 17.9% used on the hard drive. Or is that a number that refers to the space taken up by the new programming guide itself (89.9 Gb)? Just curious.

Again, thanks for your thoughts. Smiley Happy

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There would likely be a SMALL portion taken up by the guide itself possibly, but not that much.

When ANY changes on the guide, there is no guarantee that any recordings will be kept.  That being said.. while SOME have lost then durring the update to the new guide, many have been able to keep them. (ours did).

But, in 99% of the cases, when reverting to the old guide, they have all been wiped.

I would really take this as a first step.. IF you are having a similar issue with the old guide.. you know its more hardware related. 

The units have a 2 year waranty.. so it should be covered if you are just over a year.

If its FINE under the old guide.. could have been just a botched update.

Both of these, the reverting to the old guide.. and adding the new guide.. should be doable by calling in... no need for a tech to come out.
The only thing, would be, after everything is settled, etc.. if you wanted to have the whole home PVR thing re-done.. unfortunately you need to have a tech out.  (Even though they did the hardware work already... they are the only ones that can request the whole home PVR added function to be pushed to the box).  They MIGHT try to charge this to you.. but fight it.. they tried that when i wanted to get my 2nd HD box added to it at a later time.. but the person on the phone agreed that i shouldnt be, and they waived the fee.

Thaks again Kitty. I'm going to see if Rogers can do that tonight - revert back to the old guide. The firmware for the new guide is consistently doing the reboot on recording start-up AND stop. I hope this problem does not carry back to the old guide firmware because the PVR was functioning fine until we went with this whole home upgrade. Tonight, we also tried to stop a scheduled recording by using the "Stop and Save" option in the menus and THAT caused a reboot. Unreal. Meant to get in touch with Rogers last night but life got in the way. Crossing fingers.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

good luck!

its obvioulsy something when FINALIZING the recording, the save, that its **bleep** up.

Revert, and see what happens.  IF its still doing it, likely a hardware issue, and get it in ASAP under warranty.

BigJug
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Remember, there is an option in the menu's of the new guide, in the Troubleshooting section that allows you restore the box to its factory defaults, which also wipes the hard drive clean.

If you want to keep your whole home setup, you can try this option first before reverting back to the old guide.

pac_west227

You might just have a plain and simple defective box!  Point blank. Box is over a year old and warranty would have expired, hard drive maybe the issue regardless of updates. A tad late but that's why I rent my Netbox instead of buying one out right. If it fails just go to Rogers store and get another one - no charge!!  The way I figure... why spend $300-400 bux on a new box limited warranty and if it breaks down outside of the warranty period you're out of luck. Many 24 mos promo plans allow you to rent the first one at a nominal charge like $9-$11 bux/month and get the 2nd one free. Put it this way - a new one costs min $300 with one yr warranty. A rental is like $9-11/mo, depending on your plan or $84-$132/yr. So it takes 3-3.5yrs to break even over a purchased one. By that time Rogers would have a new model and you can flip it for free for that one at that time. Cant do that with a purchased one which would likely cost you 300-400 again should you decide to upgrade. Like others said, try resetting back to default.  If that fails... sad to say but you might have to get a new one or suffer the loss, learn a lesson, and rent the next Netbox. Good luck! 😉

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
The warranty is 2years on these luckily PAC_west227 :). So they would be able to get repaired.
If its only hdd issues, that's a fairly cheap fix out of warranty.

But in general I do are with you on the rent/buy thing, but to each their own 🙂

pac_west227

Yea, it's still a pain to get fixed, sit and wait coupla weeks, etc when you can just flip it with a drive to the store. Point blank.  Number one my list is convenience.  Warranty or not, when the box fails and you have the hassle with dealing with the warranty peeps is NOT convenience imo. Maybe some peeps like the bother.. lol. Like you said to each their own.  

On the troubleshooting side of things, we contacted Rogers on Thursday night and talked to tech support. I believe the gentleman's name was Fharad. He listened to our story and this time escalated the issue to engineering. They said that someone from Rogers was going to contact us in 48 hours - putting that return call in some time today before 11pm if they work that late on weekends. Right after the call, we saw a download pushed to the box. The box rebooted. But the reboot issue upon recording is still prevalent. Not fixed yet. I was tempted to return the box back to factory default. Info I read on the DigitalHome website said that by doing this, I wouldn't reset the box to the original programming guide but rather to a clean install state of the new programming guide. I'd rather wait for the next suggestion from a Rogers tech before trying that in case doing that would screw up something the engineering group was working on remotely. I think it best not to tamper with the process and complicate things. We shall see. 🙂

Kasady
I'm Here A Lot
So... We reset the PVR to factory default and now the screen appears to be garbled. When the PVR boots up, you can see the red progress bar but it is garbled. When the bar appears to be gone, the screen is still garbled. I can hear the stations' audio but video is not looking good at all. I tried a regular hard boot and the screen scramble issue is still there. We have a technician coming tomorrow afternoon but looks like we will call up Rogers tech support one more time to see if this can be fixed remotely or not. This is so frustrating...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Sounding more like a buggered box.

If the tech can't do anything, I would get it replaced/repaired under warranty.

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

For us as long as the box works well for 5+ years
Buying is worth while. if tghe box crashes, then I guess i will be kicking myself or watching less TV.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats the kicker.

You need to  REQUEST these other promotions.  They wont just outright offer them to you.  But as he said, they are there.. im on a 60% off on my TV for 2 years right now.

As for the rent/buy.. again that comes down to the person, and taking a chance on how long it will last.
Some people have lucked out, and had boxes for 5+ years now with the 8300's.  With the 8300, i went through 5 in 4 years while renting.  It can be crap shoot.

The warranty on the boxes is 2 years.  The say average one now is around $500.  So when renting, it takes just under 2 years of rental fees, to equal the price of buying.
So you are paying about $50 more renting at the 2 year point... and obviously MORE after that point.
At this point it comes down to the risk factor you want to take.  At 2 years 1 day, the rental can be exchanged.. and a purchased one your stuck buying a new one at $500 at this point.

So its all in the risk factor a person wants to take.  Personaly, i like the idea that i could go in and exhcange it every week if i so wanted to... or as has been mentioned.. tech changes, and new box comes out.. oh looks i can switch without having to buy again.
But again.. to each their own.

---------------------------------

Lets try to keep this more on the direct topic, of the failures in recording at stop/start.

For non renters, out of warranty, if it is a hard drive issue, this is one part you can relitively easily replace yourself.