8642 HD black screen

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

8642 HD black screen

When I turned my tv on there was a black screen, I new my 8642 was on because when I changed channels I could see the display banner. Anyway I unplugged and replugged my 8642 and now I have a blue 4 x 3 screen with a darker blue column on the right with horizontal lines and the box has been rebooting for about 30 minutes so far with no end in site

Please help

***Edited labels***

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: 8642 HD black screen

oh and also i have tried pressing both volumn buttons and the info button at the same time and I have unplugged the unit about 3 times now, and still rebooting and blue picture

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a Samsung TV and when I turn on the TV and Nextbox I get a black screen. No matter how long I wait the black screen remains. The only way to get rid of the black screen is to change the channel on the Nextbox. After that it works fine. I don't have issue when any of my other Nextboxes.

I thought it was "weird" but this may be related. When I first got this particular Nextbox, it took a day and a half for it to initalize. Usually, after I plug in a Next box, it does it's automated setup and it takes like 5 - 10 minutes and after that it's ready to use. This one took a day and a half after plugging it in before it displayed the time nd I could use it.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Have you checked in the settings to see what the power on channel is. (mine is set to last channel viewed). Maybe it is set to a channel you don't get.
I'm a Senior Advisor

This is a long-standing Nextbox bug.

Is the tv and box connected with HDMI?  So you have HDMI-CEC activated?  If so, turn it off.  Nextbox doesn't play nice with HDMI-CEC (I forget what Samsung calls it specifically).  Sometimes this helps.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I beleive the CEC issue is only with the 3..not the 2... but i could be wrong.

Some people have found as well.. that the box needs a reset often to get it to work properly.

Go in, change the setting to a specific channel (can be anything for now), save it.. then go into the settings menu and reboot the box.
When it comes back up, it should reset and save that channel setting.

Repeat to change it back to whatever you want.

I Plan to Stick Around

It's set to TVO which I get.
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes it's connected via HDMI. I don't know about HDMI-CEC. I have a couple of other Samsung sets connected via HDMI to Nextbox 3.0 and they work fine.
I Plan to Stick Around

I will try this. By "reset often" how often do you mean? I know I've said it several times but I have had no issues with any of the other Nextboxes in my house.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

sorry, that should have read

"reset, often to get"

that its often necessessary to have to reset the box, AFTER making the the change as to what channel for it to start from. (Rather than JUST saving the change).
if its currently on the channel/setting you want.. you might have to change it to another.. save, reboot, then change it back to what you want, save reboot again.