8300HD firmware update fiasco - Just do SOMETHING!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: 8300HD firmware update fiasco - Just do SOMETHING!

A quick update. A rep called me to tell me my PVR is busted and needs to be replaced.

Of course I purchased it - and of course its out of warranty.

This sucks.

I've Been Here Awhile

Same thing happening here all of a sudden!   Have had the 1TB extender and 8300HD for close to two years with relatively few problems.  All of a sudden  capacity used fell from around 70% to 30% but all 140 programs still show up as being present.

What is the  warranty of these units again?  We purchased both at Christmas 2009...8300HD at Future Shop and the 1TB Extender from Cendirect.

This is becoming so frustrating.   I was considering a hard drive format on both 8300HD and the extender but don't want to go through the hassles if the problems are a result of the flakey firmware!

I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure the warranty.

I was told explicitly by a gentleman on the other side of the planet that my warranty is over and I will have to purchase new hardware. I just assume he's reading a script prepared for him months ago on "how to respond when the customer can no longer use a service he pays for". He did a great job! Did he add value? Nope. In fact he pushed his customer out the door. Very clever.

If I'm buying new hardware, it won't be the 8300HD I'll tell you that much! I starting looking into Bell Fibe and Shaw Gateway today. Both are superior - just not sure the availability.

Maybe I'll go dark until they are ready - watch TV from the internet.

You'd think the company whose core is cable television would be on top of the technology. But seems they outsourced that bit to SA/Cisco and so are throwing up thier hands. You'd also think they'd be on top of small things like customer service, but they are likely outsourcing that to some random third world nation.. That strategy will lose you alot of customers very quickly.

I've Been Here Awhile

Just curious if anyone is getting updates or Rogers just found a new way to get rid of me on the phone last night. They told me the *new* CISCO software is being pushed out now and it should finally solve the recording-related issues. He said "by end of months" but that's tomorrow. All I know is that I reset the box, got the firmware download countdown, scheduled a recording 5 mins from the reboot time, and that one started fine, like always after a fresh reboot. I tried to play the few shows I had recorded in May, when things still worked for me - that was good, too. Paused CP24 and moved forward in a it - that worked.

Then I deleted all of my scheduled recording and made just one - for the F1 on TSN. Unfortunately, this morning, nothing was recorded. Pusing didn't work, either. Playing the same old recording from May didn't start. Reooted the box and things worked. That's been the state of my 8300HD for over 6 months now. I don't know why it works fine after a fresh reboot and if it'd record just an hour later.

If anyone sees an update or knows anything more specific, I'd love to hear from you folks.

The pain goes one... not a single F1 recorded this seasion, not a single CSI, no Penguins... who family is unhappy and rogers keeps taking over $100 out of my pocket monthly... there's something terribly wrong about this.

I've Been Around

Im in the same boat. The only time things seem to work is if I remove my 1tb extender... But then you get only a small handful of hd programs. A year ago there was no problem. Now I wish I rented this box as it has been only frustrating to get ready to watch your favorite shows and have the system disappoint. If there is no firmware update, rogers should let us trade in our box for a functional hd system. I wish we were able to use TiVo hd boxes here in Canada as the interface stinks on the 8300hd along with the functionality not being reliable. Imagine if my credit card acted like the pvr... I'm sure Rogers would cut me lose so why should we be any different!
I'm a Senior Advisor

@B2toronto not a solution but could help you a bit is to upgrade the drive in the pvr to a 500GB.. you'll get a bit more recording out of it..
I'm Here A Lot

To borrow the subject line of a recent post for the 8642hd -- "over a year + and still waiting for update". 

Anyone hear anything further?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

what I've learned is that if rogers promises you something like coming soon, to me it means don't hold your breath, and forget about it it will never come. or it will when i am in an old age home.

I've Been Here Awhile

Mine works finally. I am 1000+ miles from the PVR and can't check the info screens but I believe I got 2 updates some time in the first half of Nov. I also found how to format the HD and thus force full init of everything Rogers. I lost all I had recorded but now my storage-related issues are fixed.