8300HD firmware update fiasco - Just do SOMETHING!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

8300HD firmware update fiasco - Just do SOMETHING!

When is enough enough? Mysteriously lost recordings on PVR extenders. Internal hard drives spinning up and down spontaneously, causing needless wear and tear on both rented and privately owned units. Rogers...please communicate with us! And don't take us for fools. These problems are widespread, and not isolated as you have tried initially leading us to believe. We are now almost 6 months removed from the update...What are you doing about it? Why can't you give us our old tried and true firmware back. And if nothing is being done, then please, just let us know so that we can stop paying current rates for reduced service, and move on. It would be the decent thing to do.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: 8300HD firmware update fiasco - Just do SOMETHING!

I would not count on a fix very quickly. I concur with you on the need for a fix on the HD PVRs. I have already lost over 200 recordings because of this **bleep** firmware update. I phoned and complained. They issued a ticket. That was 2 months ago and I have yet to hear a word. They probably cancelled the ticket and did not even have the courtesy to notify me. If you look at other examples, I remember when the "New MyRogers" site was introduced. Accounts were totally messed up for months. Rogers seemed in no hurry at all to make things right. If you have followed the throttling issues with World of Warcraft, you'll know that Rogers has admitted being at fault, yet they will not have a fix until June! Absolutely ludicrous!  They continue to rent and sell SMC modem/routers that are a piece of junk and despite numerous customer complaints, is there any word that these modems will be replaced? Not from Rogers. So if you are hoping for a quick fix on the 8300HD boxes, I don't think you will find that one is in the cards. 

I'm Here A Lot

I've given up on hopes of a quick fix, and can understand that sometimes you just don't know how long it will take to fix something. In hindsight, they KNOW that the decision to roll out the update was a mistake, and we all make mistakes. But quit restricting any information flow to sidebar telephone conversations between frustrated customers and uninformed CSRs. Quit denying that there are issues. And stop sticking your head in the sand hoping that this will all blow over. Stand up and show some courage -- I dare Rogers to tell us all what they are, or are not going to do about this issue, in an honest statement.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, they do know it was a mistake. I was told by someone from the Office of the President that the firmware update was "an unmitigated disaster." What was inexcusable though is that they continued to roll out the update despite numerous complaints from the first group of customers who received the update. And you are correct in that there is no open line of communication to tell us what they are going to do to fix the mess that they created. And there are no Rogers employees on here who are willing to step up to the plate either!

Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

Hello Community.

Please email your Account # and Full first name and Last name to forumsupport@rci.rogers.com and we can try to take a look into all of your issues accordingly.

Also a detailed description of your specific issue.

Thank you.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Nice of you to post RogersHemal. The only major problem I have had is the loss of over 200 recordings when our HD PVR decided to spontaneously reboot one night. Like I said, I phoned in a complaint and a ticket was set up. I was also told that it was very unlikely the lost recordings would ever be recovered. No one from Rogers ever got back to me though. I am fortunate though in that I am not one of many experiencing the hard drive spinning up and down. 

On the other hand, you have missed the point of the original post!  Why can't someone from Rogers post here and admit that you messed up and tell us all (there are many of us) what you are going to do in the future to rectify the situation or if the situation can even be rectified? Or are we stuck forever with hard drives spinning up and down and lost recordings? Do the decent thing and do not ask us to send an email, but post some up-to-date information here!

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks IHR...that's precisely the point of the original post. Call me a cynic but that's the oldest technique in the book...separate the "protagonists", deal with them one-on-one, and see how many crumbs you need throw their way inorder for them to go away. I've also gone the route of calling, having tickets issued (and cancelled), and gotten anything but consistentcy when it came to prognosis, timing, or explanations. Not interested in more crumbs. Not interested in being the only one moved from the back row to the front because I was the loudest to complain about my obstructed view seats. Rogers needs to address the ENTIRE audience on this one. Some of us may want a refund.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Three weeks have gone by and we continue to be ignored by Rogers!

I've Been Here Awhile

I've had the same problem. It has crashed 5 times so far since the date of this firmware update (never before that), and we've lost app. 800 recordings in total. I was told to swtich PVR's which was a major headache (two stores, three visits). After I switched it, same problem. I was then told it was with the hard disk which of course has no warranty. About to swap in a new hard disk extender now at my own expense. Since the replacement PVR still fails to stay in sleep mode for more than 3 minutes, i think this is still related to the firmware issue. . .

I think Rogers has really dropped the ball on customer service with this one. . .

I'm a Senior Advisor

I first reported that we had lost over 200 recordings but that number doubled as we once again lost almost everything  - once more after the PVR was rebooted. I contacted Rogers and was told the only solution was to replace the PVR. A technician came in to replace the PVR and so far so good, though the box has yet to be rebooted. On a curious note, I thought when your PVR was replaced, the boxes had been refurbished. The replacement box we got still had recordings on it (both recorded shows and programmed recordings) from the last person who had it. It makes me think they took it from one person's house and then simply gave it to us! 

Still waiting though to hear something from Rogers about whether or not there is a fix for this fiasco!

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats