8300HD firmware update fiasco - Just do SOMETHING!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: 8300HD firmware update fiasco - Just do SOMETHING!

The constant spinning up and down is driving me completely insane. Not to mention killing my $500 machine. Rogers really sucks on this one. It's been six months now. This will never get fixed.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have the same problems with my 8300 too.

After exhaustive internet research on this and many other independent HD A/V forums, it does appear to be an issue with the most recent firmware upgrade by Rogers last fall -2010

My temp solution if you can call it that, was to reformat the hard drives, so that all recordings are gone and the used space = 0%

Then everything returns to normal  .... until ...

(I have noticed that)  if the used recorded space goes above approx. 50% the troubles start to return, ie:

-Blank recordings - the infamous blue "see your recordings press list" screen.

-Recordings that don't show up on the list.

-Recordings cut short ie: 2 mins recorded of a 1 hour show despite ample disk space.

-Inability to record shows in progress (Live).

-Inability to pause, rewind Live shows.

-HSUD

-Programs showing up on the guide for future recording, when you have not selected then for recording.

Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

@community

Please email your account number, description of the issue as well as your first and last name to forumsupport@rci.rogers.com.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Erin

Perhaps you should read ejFudd's comment on page 1 of this thread. 

For your information, I have already replaced my HDPVR. It is still too early to tell if this will fix our issues. 

The point is though, we want to know what Rogers is doing and have someone reply here in the public forum so that everyone will be aware of whether or not there are fixes in the works!

I'm Here A Lot

RogersErin,

With all due respect, the purpose of my initial post to start this thread was to call-out Rogers on this widespread issue that has been nothing but substantially ignored, and voice our displeasure as a community with the way that it has been managed. Enough of the attempted side-bar conversations and deals! The customers want to know...what is Rogers' intention regarding the massive failure of the last firmware update? In my mind, whether I stay with your service or move on, will now be determined more by how you deal with this situation than whether it gets fixed at all.  

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Erin (again)

We have had the replacement PVR for a few weeks now and though we have not lost all of our shows, we have run into the problem of shows set to record mysteriously disappearing. We have also tried to program shows to record, but were unable to be set. The message came up that there was a scheduling conflict due to 3 recordings at the same time, yet only 2 recordings were shown. A reboot resolved both issues. But every time we reboot, we live in fear that our recordings will once again disappear.

An interesting side note on our replacement PVR. After installing, I noticed that there were programs already recorded on the unit as well as programs set to record. This would suggest to me that the unit was removed from someone else's home and then given to us without being properly checked and refurbished. It is simply unbelievable how Rogers operates!

I'm a Senior Advisor

I just read on another forum that there is another new firmware update - SARA 1.92.16.101. Is this update by any chance going to fix the problems caused by the update last fall (SARA 1.92.15.2)? Perhaps someone from Rogers would be kind enough to give us some details on this latest update!

I'm a Senior Advisor

Imagine if they posted release notes whenever there was a new firmware..
I'm a Senior Advisor

Ha Ha Ha! Half the problem is that Rogers communicates so poorly. You have to find out what they are doing by going to other forums!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Chris wrote:
Imagine if they posted release notes whenever there was a new firmware..

Rogers would like to announce the relaease of version 428.1.2.8 of their firmware for the Scientific Atlanta  8300 PVR.  You may notice some changes in the way things look. Please notify us of any changes you may notice. We would like our techs to be aware of them too. You may find us on ICQ and IRC relay chats. Those understanding what that means can spread the word around how to get connected.

As always we hope you will enjoy the new upgrades.

Please note: Other models of PVR may or may not have changed somehwat. Our understanding of this matter is that all units will be updated in the next while.

YMMV.