8300HD PVR fails on recording two programs that start at the same time

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

8300HD PVR fails on recording two programs that start at the same time

I have had a rental 8300HD PVR for several years and it always worked fine. Late last year, I purchased a 8300HD PVR from the shopping network (with 2 year Rogers warrantee) and returned the rental box to Rogers. When I set the new PVR to record two programs that start at the same time, it recorded the first one I set up but would not record the second. I then did a number of tests with multiple occurences of two programs starting at the same time and found that a majority of the time both programs would not record. However, some did work (about 30%). If I set the two programs to record with a minute between the recoding times (7:59 and 8:00), then it always works perfectly. Since then, I have exchanged the PVR twice with the same results. I also had a Rogers technician come in to look at the wiring and signal strength with no results. I also removed the splitter that connects both the TV and Rogers home phone to the same wall outlet and connected the PVR directly to the wire coming out of the wall. Same results. Is there anyone else having this problem?

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: 8300HD PVR fails on recording two programs that start at the same time

That's really odd. I often record 2 programs that start at the same time and have never seen this. I also have an 8300HD PVR, which I bought over 8 years ago. I don't suppose there's a possibility that your box's software isn't up-to-date is there? I assume it would have automatically updated as needed.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Huh, never heard of that one before either.

When I rented my 8300 it never had that issue, my in laws doesn't do it either.

I was almost thinking the same thing, perhaps a software issue? Especially if they are all from the same source.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

The only time I had something like this happen with my 8300 was if I was watching something on a third channel as the recordings were starting. It happened a couple of times a long time ago and I haven't seen it happen since.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I had another tech come out after extensive testing on my part. It was still failing to record two programs that start at the same time about 20% to 30% of the time. They then left me with one of their NextBox 8642HD PVR to try over the weekend. I did almost 50 tests and all the tests worked perfectly.

I have now been told that they are aware of the problem and will try to fix it.

I have had an 8300HD PVR for several years and have never had this problem before. I think that one of the firmware updates that they produced in the past must have brought this problem back since I read several old post from people who had this problem (but a couple of years ago).

Since the new HD PVR is slowly replacing the 8300, there are probably less people around to report problems like this and just thought, as I did, that they made a mistake in programming the unit.

One more thing. The original reason I returned the new NextBox 8642HD PVR and went with the 8300 was the guide was very inflexible. You could start recording early by 5, 10, 15, 30 minutes but not later (ie. football game that starts at 4:00pm but kickoff is at 4:20 and I don't want the first 20 minutes). You could also record later by 5, 10,15, etc minutes but not end recording before the end time. Plus some shows run for 31 minutes and the one immediately after it run for 29 minutes, so I want to record 8:00 to 8:31 and then 8:31 to 9:00. But not on the NextBox.

I had seen reports that the old guide was available on the NextBox but did not realize that this allowed it to run just like the 8300 in all ways (including searching shows by only the first letter of the name of the program as well as changing the start or end times either way in one minute increments. If I had known that, I would have gone with the new PVR.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

An easy way for you to tell if your PVR is up to date with the latest software/firmwares is to go into the diagnostic screens, and check what software version your running.

I was thinking that the problem your having may have more to do with the hard drive then the software.  Your hard drive might be failing to properly capture 2 simultaneous things at once. 

You can always pick up a new hard drive - which are fairly cheap nowadays, but somewhat hard to find as they use pata, not sata - and change the hard drive to see if that fixes the issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The technicians checked the software/firmware version and it was up to date.

Since January I have swapped out 3 different machines. They all failed to record 2 sinultaneous programs about 20 to 30 percent of the time. Rogers has confirmed that there is some problem. Now the question is: can they fix it.

I bought the 8300HD from the Shopping Channel near the end of December 2012 for $180 which includes a 2 year Rogers warranty. That works out to $7.50 per month over the two years. If it is still working after that, then even better.

This model is still available from the Shopping Channel. I guess Rogers has many of these units to unload since they are upgrading  people to the 8642HD PVR or Nextbox 2.0.

I have been very happy with this model over the past several years which is why I decided to buy it. The Netbox 8642HD was $15 per month to rent over a three year contract but only came with a 2-year Rogers warranty. If it had been a 3-year warranty, I would have gone with the newer machine.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

The 8642 with the old guide runs faster and more stable than any other set up. Some of the updates released since the 8642 cause errors in the 8300. I don't think the old guide, let alone the 8300, are a priority for Rogers. The enhanced guide is already slowly updated as it is.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just got a reply from Rogers.

They have found the problem with the 8300. It occurs when two digital channels on the same frequency start recording at the same time (ie 8:00 PM) but works OK if the two channels are on different frequencies.

It seems that there are multiple frequencies being used and that a group (several) of digital channels will be assigned to each of the many frequencies being used.

The problem results have been sent to Toronto and hopefully they will work on a fix.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Good to know if this is the 'cause' of this.

There is likely to be LOTS of re structuring of the digital channel signals as analog continues to be dropped off and the badwidth frees up.