8300HD PVR Reboots

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

8300HD PVR Reboots

Yesterday, I had a tech come out to fix a signal strength problem, which he did and everything is good. I had a few recordings scheduled last night and noticed today that a couple of them were broken up into segments and the box was tuned to channel 1. I know this happens as a result of rebooting. I'm wondering if Rogers reboots boxes for some reason after a tech has been out to fix a problem. I haven't seen reboots like this in ages, but maybe it's a coincidence. The rebooting took place in the evening during prime time and it appears there were at least 3 reboots. One of the recordings was broken into 3 segments with roughly a 5 minute gap between them, which is about how long a reboot takes.

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: 8300HD PVR Reboots

I suppose if the reboots were due to power interruptions, you would have noticed. Can you find out from Rogers if they might do it from their end after such a service call? You'd think the tech would tell you that.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

The tech didn't mention it at all. The reboots happened just that one time and there's been none since. They weren't caused by a power interrruption. The box is plugged into a UPS and it never fails during power outages.

I'll actually be seeing the tech again, so I'll ask him about it. When we were chatting, he was admiring my relatively new computer. I mentioned my old one is for sale and he's going to pick it up on the weekend. That was a nice coincidence and it saves me from the hassle of listing it online.

I'm Here A Lot

I'll just copy my situation from another set of posts..

I had the same problem. The guide on by SA8300HD stopped working recently and the date wouldn't change. It would just sit there and say switching dates and nothing. There would be no information on any of the TV shows. So I called up rogers and they said it was a signal problem and they would be sending out a tech. The tech gets here and says theres no problems with the signal and rebooted the pvr. Well now it says FAIL !! and it stopped working.

The PVR would reboot itselfs every 5 minutes and says FAIL after the reboot. I had to manually format the HD with the ( unplug power off.. power on.. hold the pause button until the a mail sign shows up on the pvr then hit page down and finally list x 3 where the wouls show HDD3 ---> HDDF ).

After numerous reboots and formats the PVR would still reboot..and says FAIL.. then suddenly after a few hours.. it didn't reboot and its working fine now...

Very annoying!.

A side issue. I think rogers stopped supporting these boxes a while ago. Mine was bought and I replaced the internal HD so its definately not supported..

Hope this helps..

Don 

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

donx88:

I replaced the hard drive in mine early this year. After more than 9 years of faithful service, the original Maxtor drive finally died. I replaced it with a WD Blue 320GB drive and it's been working perfectly. The biggest hassle in replacing the drive was finding the Torx security bits I needed to open the case. Before the hard drive failed, I was getting all kinds of weird problems, like scheduled recordings not recording and random reboots. A reboot would fix it for a while, then it would start doing it again. Rebooting sometimes got the FAIL message, which is when I suspected something was up. Like you, I also reformatted the hard drive, but it didn't help for long.

The reboots I reported above only happened once and I'm certain Rogers was responsible. I think you're right about Rogers no longer supporting the box, aside from updating the IPG. I think there's still a lot of 8300's out there, though. For some people, like me, the Nextbox 3 didn't work properly, mostly due to audio drop outs. I tried one for a few months and returned it. Fortunately, I kept my 8300 instead of selling it, which was a good move. I've never had audio problems with it in all the 10 years I've owned it.

When the tech came back to pick up my computer, I asked him if Rogers routinely reboots boxes after a service call, but he didn't know for sure.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Maybe a month or so ago, I rebooted my 8300HD and saw a "FAIL" displayed on the front panel. Rebooted again and all was fine. It's a refurbished unit I bought from The Shopping Channel about a year and a half ago. Shopping Channel is owned by Rogers and the box came with a 2-year warranty, so I would expect some sort of support. As for support from Rogers techs, they'll probably tell you to reboot it and i that doesn't work, to get a NextBox 3. I think they have their hands full chasing after NB3 problems to worry about the older PVRs.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

I think you're right about the NB 3. The tech who came out to fix my signal problem was well aware of how finicky they are. As for Rogers supporting the 8300, I'm thinking there are different kinds of support. One is to update the software, which they haven't done for over 2 years, probably because there's no need to after 10 years of SARA updates, updating the IPG, and another is when a customer calls in with an issue like I did with the signal strength problem. I had no issues getting support for that and I was not billed for the service call.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

What I worry about is if Rogers pushes some universal update that's detrimental to the SARA units screws them up. I don't mean deliberately, but just that they don't really consider them anymore. I'm sure it must be frustrating for them that the NextBox3 still has teething problems while the old PVR is virtually flawless. With simeshift, there's seldom any need to record more than 2 programs at the same time.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

I understand your concern. When a box as old as the 8300 is still around, anything is possible. I'm expecting an announcement some time in the future which will state that Rogers is withdrawing support for it altogether, so there will be no more IPG updates. I suppose there could come a time when they will deauthorize all 8300 boxes, with some kind of prior warning, of course. At that point, we have no choice but to switch to another provider or get the Nextbox 3 or whatever is current at the time. I can't believe how many problems it still has one year after launch. I have a detailed document where I logged every issue I had with the NB 3 and, as far as I can tell, not one of them has been fixed. I base that on seeing what users are still saying about it. I also can live just fine with recording no more than 2 programs at once. I mostly watch TMN and HBO and everything they show is repeated several times after the initial showing, so it's really simple for me.

Off topic for this thread, but I'm faced with a similar situation with the new internet packages. I have the Extreme Plus service, which is no longer available. If I want to "upgrade" to, say, the 60/10 service, I cannot use my purchased SMCD3GN modem, even though it's more than capable of those speeds. I would have to accept a rental modem and my SMC becomes a boat anchor. I guess it's possible I could sell it to someone for peanuts.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, I'm also worried that at some point Rogers will change something and the older equipment will no longer work, or bebadly  crippled. If Microsoft can do it, so can Rogers. Not a problem with rental equipment, which will get replaced with newer stuff at a "slight increase in price", but waht about owned stuff? Another example, when unlesded gas was introduced, nobody compensated the owners of cars needing high octane leaded. Time marches on in this throw-away society and the only way to survive is to throw money at it.