8300HD PVR FAIL Message and Rebooting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: 8300HD PVR FAIL Message and Rebooting

Hello everybody,

I've been experiencing the same problems starting last night. First, some HD channels stopped working ('Channel not available, please try later' kind of message box). When I called Rogers tech support, the guy told me that there is a glitch with the 8300 boxes and I NEED TO DO A FIRMWARE UPDATE. After I've done that, the box STOPPED WORKING ALTOGETHER!. It went in the same 'boot-FAIL' cycle you guys are talking about. It looks to me that Roers, intentionally or not, screwed up the firmware on these boxes. What should we do now?

Thanks.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

EMst:

What channels are giving you trouble? If you list some of them, I can check them on my box, assuming they're part of my package. I have the VIP package plus TMN/HBO and am in Toronto.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@EMSt wrote:

Hello everybody,

When I called Rogers tech support, the guy told me that there is a glitch with the 8300 boxes and I NEED TO DO A FIRMWARE UPDATE. After I've done that, the box STOPPED WORKING ALTOGETHER!. It went in the same 'boot-FAIL' cycle you guys are talking about. It looks to me that Roers, intentionally or not, screwed up the firmware on these boxes. What should we do now?

Thanks.

Go to diagnostic screen #17. That will show you the dates of the OS and firmware. I see nothing newer than 2012. If anything needed updating, Rogers would have pushed it or it would have updated after a power outage or reboot. I too have seen a 'FAIL' displayed recently during a reboot, but I don't see anything new in the diagnostics.

BTW, if someone from Rogers is reading this, please tell us if firmware update story is true or something someone in tech support dreamed up.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

jimboden:

Thank you for offering to help but now the box is pretty much dead, I cannot watch any channel anymore. It goes into the 'boot-FAIL' cycle forever. Occasionally, if I press the Power button on the remote after the 'boot' message, the clock shows up and then it goes on channel 1. Eveything seems fine, I can tune to other channel, too, but after 15-20 seconds it goes into the 'FAIL' mode again. 

The channels I coudn't watch last night in HD, before doing the faulty 'firmware update' as recommended by the Rogers people, were TLN(35) and TV5(103).

Now, the question is to whom should we complain about this problem? Obviously there is a Rogers screwup and I wonder how long it would take to admit and fix assuming that this will happen...

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

EMSt,

I think we've established it's not a hard drive failure, as some Rogers techs would want you to believe. You didn't say whether you own or rent your 8300. Either way, keep calling Rogers until you get a straight answer.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

oldyellr:

Will do when I get home tonight. Thanks for the reply.

I doubt that anybody from Rogers reads the forums but at least they should get a hint that something went wrong with this firmware update from the calls the must get to their cable tech support.

Not likely to be related to this issue but I've also been experiencing internet service outages in the past couple of weeks. Every 20-30 minutes the connection get lost for 2-3 minutes and then it comes back up. I also called Rogers support on this issue without any luck, they said that everything was fine on their side.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

oldyellr: I own the box, it is about four and a half years old.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

It almost looks like an infrastructure problem outside your property. If it comes intermittently like that, Rogers would not be able to see it from their end when you call.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

oldyellr:

It is a strong possibility, I agree. Now that you mentioned that I just remembered that, few weeks ago, somebody entered my backyard (without asking for permission) and did some work most likely at the Rogers box located on top of pole. I was not at home at that time.

Is this likely to be connected to the cable box issue as well? Not really since I'm not the only one complaining about the cable box problem.

One strong advise to all 8300 PVR users: DO NOT DO THE 'FIRMWARE UPGRADE"!

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

EMst:

I think your best course of action is to call Rogers and get them to send a tech out. It does sound like a signal issue.

BTW: We have no control over software updates. Rogers pushes them to the box when they do them. As OLDYELLR said, there's no evidence from looking at the diagnostic screen that there's been one.. The last one is dated 2012.