8300HD PVR FAIL Message and Rebooting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: 8300HD PVR FAIL Message and Rebooting

YES!

I had the same problem. The guide on by SA8300HD stopped working recently and the date wouldn't change. It would just sit there and say switching dates and nothing. There would be no information on any of the TV shows. So I called up rogers and they said it was a signal problem and they would be sending out a tech. The tech gets here and says theres no problems with the signal and rebooted the pvr. Well now it says FAIL !! and it stopped working.

The PVR would reboot itselfs every 5 minutes and says FAIL after the reboot. I had to manually format the HD with the ( unplug power off.. power on.. hold the pause button until the a mail sign shows up on the pvr then hit page down and finally list x 3 where the wouls show HDD3 ---> HDDF ).

After numerous reboots and formats the PVR would still reboot..and says FAIL.. then suddenly after a few hours.. it didn't reboot and its working fine now...

Very annoying!.

A side issue. I think rogers stopped supporting these boxes a while ago. Mine was bought and I replaced the internal HD so its definately not supported..

Hope this helps..

Don 

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Eric_L:

That's very strange. Are you sure that Rogers reauthoized the box properly? What kind of software update supposedly caused the box to stop working? The SARA OS is 10 years old and, the last time I checked mine, the last update was back in 2012. I live in Toronto East York and have no issues with mine. Has anyone at Rogers officially told you they no longer support the 8300? If so, I'd think they are obligated to make an official announcement about it, not just off handedly mention it to someone calling in with a complaint.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@jimboden

Yes I actually called them for the Third time just to double-check and see if the serial number was correct, that's when the tech told me about seeing this same problem from numerous customers over the past couple of weeks.  He said that it seems like this problem is triggered when you try to add the box back into an account, which prompted some sort of a software update/download and that's what's causing the issue.  You would actually see the word FAIL on the front display and then it will keep rebooting and rebooting, only to see FAIL showing up again and again.  My box was in perfect working condition before all this so that's why I wasn't convinced that it would just fail or die all of a sudden like that, and that's why I called for the 3rd time to check the authorization.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@don

For how long have you had this problem?  Thanks.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Interesting. I got my 8300HD from Rogers Shopping Channel, with a 2-year warranty that expires November 2015, about a month before they stopped selling them. Now they're no longer sold by Rogers, so I can see them no longer wanting to have anything to do with them. I wonder what Rogers will do for me if they screw it up within the warranty period, say, if I move it to another location and it needs to be re-authorized. My 8300SD only shows up as a STB on my account.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Eric_L:

Now that you mention it, a few weeks back, I had an issue with rebooting and FAIL showing up on my box as well. I just happened to notice it while it was going on. After several reboots, it went back to normal. I never could figure out what was causing it.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Yesterday my wife called rogers to reset the PIN# for ordering movies.  The changes made by the service representative caused a rebot of my 8300HD and ever since then i've been having this problem.  After several reboots the box eventually came back up.  However, 24hrs have passed and just now the box randomly rebooted.  I'm guessing that perhaps some sort of updated was pushed down to cause this.  I own this box outright and its up to Rogers to fix this.  Will be calling tomorrow to get this mess straightened out. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Ok so i had the same issue today. I powered off my 8300 to move it into my new TV stand. Plug it back in and BAM gives me the fail message and continuously reboots. Worked just fine 5 minutes before the reboot.

Then i decide to grab my other 8300 that my wife was watching so could watch the PGA championship on the big screen and low and behold i go to plug it in and i get the same FAIL message....... So needless to say i was angry.

I then go to grab my rented Nextbox and put it on the same outlet and notice when it boots up that an update was being performed and after the update the Nextbox works fine. So to me this isn't a signal issue as the technician suggested but some software update that pooched two of my 8300's.

This better not be Rogers way of getting me to buy new Nextboxes.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Last week when I was having problems I had several tiers of tech support tell me the 8300HD was an "older box" that was "causing alot of customers problems" and "was no longer supported".  The first in home tech seemed surprised when I pointed out I had a year and a half to go on my warranty on one of them.

I haven't seen an official annoucement, but it seems that at least at the first few tiers of tech support, Rogers is pushing the get off older STBs and on the Nextbox bandwagon, whether you want it or not (or want to pay for it or not).

IMHO, they should have to support all hardware while ANY of that make/model is still under warranty somewhere.  No one put a gun to Rogers' head to sell SA 8300HDs on The Shopping Channel last year.  They wanted a few quick bucks on refurbished rental gear - they should have had to be prepared to support it as well.

Ah Telecoms...

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

The irony here is that Next Box has not been very well received either. NB2 was terrible and while NB3 is much improved, there are still many issues as outlined on other forums such as digitalhome.ca. The bottom line if you still have a functioning 8300HD box is that in many ways, it is still a better functioning PVR than Next Box. If you are a night owl, you definitely do not have to put up with the reboots that cause your box to shut down for daily updates!