8300HD PVR FAIL Message and Rebooting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: 8300HD PVR FAIL Message and Rebooting

@EMSt wrote:

Firmware version:  the Diagnostic pages show SARA 1.93.16.1 and as dates, page 14 shows Dec. 7, 2010 and page 17 shows 11/18/12.

Cheers,

E.

On page 14 I show "Global Cfg: Mon Mar 2013" . Page 17 same as yours.

If they can't "see" your box, I'd guess there was a splitter there that does not allow 2-way communication, or has degraded.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

EMSt:

Sounds like things are improving, which is obviously good news. As OLDYELLR said, it's quite likely the weak signal is caused by a splitter. They deteriorate over time and should be replaced if causing the issue. I just went through something similar, although the tech simply installed a signal booster to fix my signal problem and didn't bother replacing splitters. I'm guessing replacing the splitters will be necessary somewhere down the road.

Let us know how it goes on Sunday.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

When I suspected a weak signal because I was seeing a bit of snow on the TV (this was analog), the tech replaced a number of splitters and connectors no charg and no charge for the service call. A couple of the connectors and splitters were ones I had installed.  The connectots Rogers use are more robust than what you usually find at Home Depot or The Source. Also, don't be misslead and use satellite dish splitters just because they cost more, because they're different from what CATV needs.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

So yes, my box is up as well. It resetted itself repeatedly yesterday for 12 hours then it came up. I did call rogers and they were going to send in a tech as well which i cancelled today. It has to be something from rogers as some of us here had the exact same symptons and solutions.

To get rogers to admit that will be another thing.

When I called rogers to complain they indicated my situation of the PVR keeping rebooted was isolated to me. They said if its a fireware issue then every person with an SA8300HD would be affected and so far no one called..

but its working again so thats the good thing...

And to think rogers previously insisted it was the HD failing.. always not taking responsibility..

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Everybody:

It happened to me pretty much what donx88 has described, too. As I mentioned before, the box started working again on Thursday night after a couple of hours of booting and failing but I still was not able to watch some channels. Then, Friday night I found an automated voice message from Rogers saying that 'the issue you reported seems to be resolved' and indeed, all the channels were ok and since then they still are. I canceled the technician appointment I had for today. 

As donx88 has said, it was very annoying that, during all this ordeal,  the Rogers people kept saying that the box must be broken and it must be replaced...for only 17.60 $/mo. I can get a NextBox 3.0 🙂

Anyway, let's hope for the best...for now.

Thanks a lot, everybody!

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, the bug has now hit me.

I was away for the weekend and when I returned Sunday evening, my PVR was dark. I looks like someone rearanged my room and unplugged the TV and PVR. When I plugged it back in it showed that squiggly symbol, then "boot" then it went dark again. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and same thing. I then pressed the power button on the 8300 and it showed the Cisco logo, then loading the OPG data, then channel 1. I could see my recorded list, but when I pressed the "up" botton, it shut down and showed "FAIL".  I did the same thing again and the same sequence of events. When it showed channel 1 again I found I could not change channels, the "FAIL" again. Repeat again and same thing and now I could change channels but soon it shut down again showing "FAIL".

After going back to this thread I see a couple of you were getting continuous reboots. So the next time I did not intervene with the power button and let it alone. So, it did keep rebooting periodically, which I did not have the patience to see. It would show the squiggle, then "boot" then nothing. Sometimes I would see a "FAIL" in there also, but not every time. As I'm writing this I wanted to time the cycle, but while waiting for the next squiggle, I notice the green dot power indicator is on and it's no longer in a reboot cycle. Everything is back to normal now. I go to the diagnostic screens and nothing has changed. Oops, something has changed, see end of this post *

All I can think of is thet Rogers has introduced some kind of bug through updates that's unfriendly to the SA8300HD boxes causing this multiple reeboot cycle after losing power. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd think this was done to push customers to scrap their 8300s and "upgrate" to the Nextbos 3.

* Diagnostic screen 14 shows a bunch of "SOFTWARE ANOMALIES" with the date and time of this reboot. It can only show the last four..

Well it looks like this board's image option does not work, so here's a link to a picture of the screen:

http://i.imgur.com/NdFmf9n.jpg

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

OLDYELLR:

Sorry to hear about that. Well, it looks like the only thing you can do is to leave it in this 'boot-FAIL' cycle until is stabilizes itself. It might take hours but it looks like the only way out of it.

I was getting those software anomalies on page 14 and some occasional software failures in red.

Have you talked to the Rogers support people at all? If you do it, you should mention that there are already a number of people who have experienced this problem and it is not just a random failure of boxes...

Good luck,

E.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

I've had similar software anomaly messages as far back as I can remember. I have no idea what they mean, but they don't seem to cause problems. Just checked mine and some are dated today, but I have not used the box since yesterday. The last time my box rebooted was Aug. 12/14. That's when I was having trouble with FAIL messages as well. It took 4 boots for it to clear up. I'm not having any problems recording or watching shows. Everything is working fine.

EDIT: Just did a search on software anomalies and found mention of them going back several years, so it's nothing new.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I would have called Rogers if the PVR hadn't finally successfully re-booted, but waiting it out was probably less aggravating than trying to call. Re-booting the 8300 was never such an ordeal as it is now. I'm convinced Rogers is overwhelming it with updates for the NB3, which confuses it.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

Somehow, I doubt they are pushing NB 3 stuff to 8300's. It would not make sense, nor are the boxes compatible. Also, the reboot/FAIL problem is not instigated by pushing something to the 8300, as far as I can tell. In my case, it only happened when I rebooted it myself to see if it would fix a problem with channel 512 not being authorized. Of course, Rogers does occasionally reboot the box for whatever reason, but I rarely see them. The tip-off is always getting channel 1 when you turn it on. I guess it's also possible that this varies by location. That fact that I rarely see a Rogers reboot doesn't mean they aren't happening elsewhere.