8300HD PVR Blocked

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

8300HD PVR Blocked

Late last night when I got home from work and turned on my 8300, I received a message saying that it was blocked due to copy protection. I'm sure I don't have the wording exactly right, but the bottom line was I couldn't watch anything either live or recorded. A reboot fixed it, but am wondering if anyone else has seen something like this. I've  had my 8300 for almost 9 years and have never seen this message or had a problem with being blocked.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: 8300HD PVR Blocked

Hello jimboden

I have the 8300 upstairs & checked now. Never saw it. I have never heard of that unless whatever you recorded was blocked for a bit & the reboot fixed it. I would call Rogers & see what they say about this or of GDkitty or someone else knows. I have never heard of this before on any PVR i have used or seen. It's weird.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know! Well kinda 🙂

When i had my 8300, i had the message come up ONCE on me.

How are you connected?  HDMI?

That message is suposed to ONLY come up, if its detected it going through some form of other device, which scans for HDCP signals to prevent recordings.

Apparently, it just buggers up ocassionaly.. thinking it received that answer (say from the TV) even though it didnt.
(this is at least what i was told).
But just like you, a reboot, and was gone.. never saw it again.

Unless it happens again, i wouldnt overly worry about it.

I'm an Advisor

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not really worried about it because I fixed it with a reboot. I do have it connected via HDMI and realize that an HDMI "handshake" sometimes doesn't work, but I've been using its HDMI output for several years with a couple of different panels and have never seen this before. The reason I posted is that I was having problems a few weeks ago with Rogers rebooting the box between 7 and 8 in the evening and was wondering if they're up to something, possibly getting ready to phase out support for the 8300. I hope that's not the case and am sure I'll be told about it if and when they do that.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, i am sure they would announce it (they actualy getting BETTER at telling us when changes are comming.. we maynot LIKE the change.. but at least they are telling us).

I am SURE you would hear MUCH outrage on here, when/if that ever happens.

I'm an Advisor

Got this issue again last night. This time I was able to get around it without doing a reboot, though. Something weird is going on. I don't think it's an HDMI handshake problem, because I've had my current TV for at least a year. This just started when I made the first post in this thread.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

only thing i could think at that point, is something with the box..

anything from the port not receiving/reading the signals ok... to software releated (say if the HDD is starting to go)

if its just box to TV (no surround sound inbetween) you could try doing it via component cable for a bit and see if it does the same (would illiminate the port).  the ONE time i did have it.. switched to component, and it did the same.  NORMALY component doesnt have HDCP on it.
(as i have been looking at some HD input devices by happuage.. while they have HDMI, dont work with cable boxes due to the HDCP.. BUT they get around it by recording via component.)

I'm an Advisor

GDkitty:

Thanks for your thoughts. It's possible the hard drive is getting finicky. After all, they do run all the time even when watching "live" TV, although I rarely do that. Having said that, I don't have any issues when watching anything I've recorded (no picture glitches, FF works fine, etc.), so it's hard to say. If the hard drive fails, guess I'll see if I can find another one. I really want to avoid getting one of the new boxes, although I understand they are probably OK if you use the old guide and I don't need a whole home PVR, which I guess means I could get the 8642.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

if its a bought box, you could swap the hard drive, and it should re-push the OS out to it, etc.. other than a loss of recordings, unit should work fine...

Other than if its the ports or something more in that way not working.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

If you don't care about keeping your recordings and settings, you may want to reformat the drive. Here is how you do it:

Press and hold PAUSE until the Mail LED lights, then press LIST three times, the unit will format the drive and reboot.
Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 in conversation