80 down and 20 up.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

80 down and 20 up.

So i got connected today. Great service.

I am on 250/20 plan. 

From the modem to my pc I hit easily 300/20 with speedtest.

Now the moment I connect to my wrt1900ac router I hit only 80/20. Why?

I did do the bridge connection on the rocket modem. no problem!

I do not have the firewall on high on my router either.

So what the deal? am I missing something?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: 80 down and 20 up.

Doing a quick search I came across this:

https://murison.wordpress.com/2015/01/24/linksys-wrt1900ac-slow-internet-speed/

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT1900AC-Slowing-down-internet-drastically-Advanc...

That might be the answer to the problem.

Fwiw, you could / should probably turn off QOS if you are using it.  The 1900 should have more than enough horsepower to run everything without QOS.  On a good many routers, including new routers on the market, using QOS, Traffic Monitoring, and any other function that requires processing of the data packets before they are sent to their LAN IP address will slow the throughput when you are running over 100 Mb/s.  On a slower internet service this isn't noticeable, but on a high speed service, that processing takes its toll.  Consider running a factory reset on the 1900, then with no functions turned on, see what you get for speedtest results.  Run the tests from http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html or from www.speedtest.net using the Toronto Telus server.

What modem and speed were you running before?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Check the connected port LED on the back of the modem and see if it is amber or green in colour.  Amber denotes a 1 Gb/s connection with the next port, green denotes a 10/100 Mb/s connection.  Are you running a wired connection all the way through?  Modem - ethenet cable - WRT1900AC - ethernet cable - pc / laptop?  Note that the port colour on the Hitron modems is reversed from what appears to be the industry standard.  On the WRT1900AC, the port should be green or flashing green.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The light behind the modem on port 1 is flashing orange I guest it is amber 🙂

that cable on port 1 is connected behind the wrt1900ac port Ethernet 

LAN 1 cable is connected behind my PC. Nothing else is on a the moment.

thank you for your time.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, that indicates a 1 Gb/s interconnect between the modem and the WRT1900AC.  I would switch cables to test the second cable that currently runs from the WRT1900AC to the pc.  Also, right click on the internet connect symbol on the lower right hand corner of your monitor.  Select Open Network and Sharing Center.  When the Network and Sharing Center Panel comes up, select the ethernet link on the middle right hand side of the panel.  That brings up the Ethernet Status panel.  It should show 1 Gb/s if the cable going from the WRT1900AC to the PC is ok, and the ports are connected at 1 Gb/s.   If that checks out, that must mean that there is some setting within the WRT1900AC that is limiting the throughput.

Did you buy Version 1 or Version 2 of the WRT1900AC?

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30022827-The-WRT1900AC-now-has-a-Version-2

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

When i got this unit for Father day last year 🙂 it was version 1.

I will check the cable...will try to replace it and see what it does. Will let you know the outcome of this. Kind of weird. When I was with the other cable company did not have the problem. Trying to wonder if both units like each other or not. Before that it was just a simple cable modem and did not have that speed problem.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Doing a quick search I came across this:

https://murison.wordpress.com/2015/01/24/linksys-wrt1900ac-slow-internet-speed/

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT1900AC-Slowing-down-internet-drastically-Advanc...

That might be the answer to the problem.

Fwiw, you could / should probably turn off QOS if you are using it.  The 1900 should have more than enough horsepower to run everything without QOS.  On a good many routers, including new routers on the market, using QOS, Traffic Monitoring, and any other function that requires processing of the data packets before they are sent to their LAN IP address will slow the throughput when you are running over 100 Mb/s.  On a slower internet service this isn't noticeable, but on a high speed service, that processing takes its toll.  Consider running a factory reset on the 1900, then with no functions turned on, see what you get for speedtest results.  Run the tests from http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html or from www.speedtest.net using the Toronto Telus server.

What modem and speed were you running before?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So what I did is I change the cable behind to a brand new i have here. Same result. Amber flashing and green light.

So I took my cable from my pc and plug directly behind, same result. Took the brand new cable and plug behind my pc to the modem and same result all Amber lights and no green at all. 

No QOS option under wrt1900ac very limite option in which i miss dearly my Tomato firmware. This one is not ready to have it even if it says open source. It is not at the moment.

I was thinking doing that ....running a factory reset and see the results. Did that in the pass it actually work but yeah let me try that later after reading what you gave me and i will let you know.

BUT do get 300/20 from pc to modem. Weird?

i will read more on the links you gave me and hopefull to see something i can fix. 

Thank you Datalink! cheers!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks like the modem and pc are satisfied.  My guess would be that throughput setting on the 1900.  And if that doesn't solve it, I'd run a reset on the 1900 and start from scratch, in terms of the settings.  You could run speedtests along the way as you adjust the various settings to ensure that you don't select one that will kill the throughput.  If you created a backup file for the 1900, you could always return to those original settings by restoring the backup file, but I suspect that a clean start might be the way to go.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Datalink,

May I say EUREKA? well the links you gave me a read and turn out to be this problem:

I had turned on Media Prioritization for my computer because I kept getting disconnects on a game I was playing and figured it might help.  I turned off Media Prioritization and ran a speed test.  60Mbps download speed!

So at first I figured it was a bug in the firmware.  Then I noticed there was a settings link to the right of the on/off button.  I clicked it and saw an entry labeled Downstream Bandwidth and it was set at 16286 Kbps.  I changed it to 1000000Kbps and turned Media Prioritization back on.

I check out for the fun and OMG the thing was set on 70mbps ...like REALLY ...NOOOO! so i set 100000kbps and save and then speedtest.com and BANG 300/20 without a glitch.

What a stupid place to put a configuration. Wow! man i hope they make a tomato firmware version for this router because the stock firmware is terrible for advanced users.

Thank you for your help and time my friend 🙂

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is food for thought. I've see as high at 340 Mb/s down.  I usually see 328 Mb/s down, 22 up.  So, going with the logic in those threads, I'd set the download for 350 Mb/s max down, 23 Mb/s max up.  That, multiplied by 1024 gives you 358,400 down 23,552 up.  Consider those numbers as the Linksys thread does not take into account Rogers Speedboost, so if you set the numbers too low, you won't see those high download test numbers which are due to Rogers Speedboost.  Is that setting the max ISP download / upload rates that is required by the router firmware?  Why even bother? Just let the router run flat out would be my thinking on this one.

Speaking of firmware versions, its been a while since I read thru the DD-WRT forum, but last time I was in reading thru it, the problem was that the wifi drivers for the 1900 were not being released by the manufacturing company.  So that brought the DD-WRT firmware to a halt.  Users were hoping that a version 2 would come out with hardware and released or open source drivers so that DD-WRT firmware could be developed.  Perhaps that has finally happened.  Don't know.  But a read thru the DD-WRT forum might answer that one.