8 Tuner PVR?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: 8 Tuner PVR?

I also just picked up the new Nextbox 3.0 (I skipped 2.0 and have been reasonably happy with the 8300 I picked up for $300 about 5 years ago).  The general zippyness that others have commented on has been noticeable and the marriage saving 8 recordings at once is very nice ("I want to watch the Leaf game and you're double recording.  Which show can I cancel?"  "None."  Grrrrrrr )

What I have had happen, twice so far in under 24 hours, is when I go to TV mix, and choose "Sports" the box freezes and then reboots.  Anyone else?

Thx.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Painman

It did that once in the start with me but after the reboot, it never happened again
I'm a Regular

Every time I try to search it says it's not available.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Search, rod, etc are VERRY signal strength dependant.
Which box did you have before. Signal may have been ok for them but weak for the current stuff

I'm a Regular

I tested ROD and it works, I'll check if anything is loose because radio stations and some channels seem to have choppy audio. I had SARA on my 8642, but the search did work in the quick start menu.

It looks like the 4642, 8642, and 9865 all have the same software version, My 4642 doesn't seem as slow as yesterday anymore, but not quite as fast as the NB 3.0

I'm an Advisor

Tmothy12:

This is my first day with the Nextbox 3.0 and I'm getting audio glitches when playing back recordings. They were especially bad when watching CTV News at 6. I had an 8300 for 9 years and never this issue. I wonder how many others here have this. I'll try changing the audio range to see it helps, but I doubt it will.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

A question I have is with this new PVR , can you use the old guide still or yuo need to use the new one? I tried the new one and hated it that I changed it back. If you need to use that new one, I am not sure that all the things I hated about it is actually worth it. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On this box you have to use the new guide.

The old guide (Sara) was a default one for those boxes from the manufacturer for advanced features they make the provider create their own to their own specs.

Now what did you not like about the new guide? Most of the issues of lag and missing things has been fixed. Was it just appearance / layout?
Unfortunately, I think even the Sara type guide on Cisco boxes has changed and are likely not going to see it around anyone.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Jimboden

Are you only having it in playback, haven't noticed it live?

The 8300s were more ok with a slightly weaker signal, but the 8642 and this one are a little more sensitive, wondering if its picking up that?

I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

I haven't watched anything live yet, but will give it a try. Normally, I never watch live TV. The glitch is kind of a stutter, for lack of a better term. It happened several times watching CTV News, then I watched a 2 hour recording from Sportsnet360 and the stutter only happened a few times. As it was my first day with the new box, I spent a lot of time going through all the options, especially to get a handle on how setting up recordings works. Once I finally got through that, I'm much happier with this box now. Unlike some others, I like the new style guide. It just takes a bit of time to figure out the interface. I'm quite certain I have an excellent signal, never get picture breakup, plus my cable and internet come through on the same cable, then go to a splitter that was installed by Rogers roughly 3 years ago. At the time, the technician showed me the signal and it was very good. Of course, these things can change over time. I never have issues with my internet unless, of course, the service is down for some reason, which is very rare where I live. Another plus with the new box is that its remote is exactly the same as my old 8300 one, which I have programmed into a programmable remote. One of my interesting experiences yesterday with Rogers was de-authorizing my 8300, which I had them do before I connected the Nextbox. It must have taken them the best part of 30 minutes, but it eventually worked.