500U Slow Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogersTony

Re: 500U Slow Speeds

Hello, @RayB50

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.

We know how important it is to ensure you are getting the right speeds on your devices. From what you've described thus far it sounds like we may need to escalate a ticket to investigate this further. 

We'll need to gather more information from you before we can determine what steps to take next. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started.

Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, click here.

RogersTony

RayB50
I Plan to Stick Around

I've now talked to a rep and videoed the speedtest. It clocked at 33mbps wired!
Had a tech come in today, ran tests and was unable to get over 80mbps on two different XB6 boxes. He couldn't figure out the issue as my neighbor has 700mbps on a 1Gb plan.
I believe there is an issue with the Ethernet ports on the XB6 as they appear to be refurbished.
I'll give it a few days and be moving on. Thanks.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's highly unlikely that it's an issue with Ethernet ports on so many boxes. Did the tech do a test on his laptop directly connected to the incoming coax?  He should have and should have told you what he got there.  If your neighbour has the same problem, then it may be a bandwidth issue in your neighbourhood.

RayB50
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, the tech checked his computer with the Ethernet out of the XB6. He got under 100mbps. He didn't look at the coax.
The neighbors service is fine, it's not the neighborhood. The XB6 is a real black box. And I suspect that is the issue. Is there another modem option with ignite? Seems I am at the end of options? Thanks for your help.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RayB50 wrote:
Hi, the tech checked his computer with the Ethernet out of the XB6. He got under 100mbps. He didn't look at the coax.
The neighbors service is fine, it's not the neighborhood. 

I see you changed the number for your neighbour from 70 to 700.  Hence my previous post before you made that modification. The tech should have checked the speed (and signal) directly at the coax with his laptop...  Good Luck.

RayB50
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I realized that I had typo'd from your reply, apologies.
Thanks for the tip on the tech checking the coax with his computer. I didn't know he could do that. Unhappy face.
zcarguy
I've Been Here Awhile

I have 500 down and 20 up.  On a wired connection I consistently get over 500 down and 20 up.  On my phone connected to 5ghz depending on how close I am to the router I get as much as low 400 down and close to 20 up.  I have no issue with that.  I have a fairly large home so 5ghz range peters out pretty quickly and I do rely on 2.4ghz for a solid connection.  However even if I am right beside the modem I generally cannot get over 40 down.  Is this a limitation of the 2.4ghz band, my device or my modem?    I don't expect full bandwidth but I would be surprised if that is all that is possible.   

RogersJo

Hey @zcarguy

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your first post with us! 😊 I hope you're staying safe and sound! I know how imperative it is to ensure you have consistent speeds, and a steady, reliable connection. Have you thought about extending your Wi-Fi coverage to increase the 5 GHz range? Do you have this issue with multiple devices while on 2.4 GHz right beside the modem? 

Looking forward to hearing from you, 

RogersJo

zcarguy
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the pods but found they actually slowed down my wifi greatly.  Yes the range was slightly better but overall speed was much much worse.  I disconnected them and am much happier.  My speeds consistent but like I said never get anywhere close to 100mbps on 2.4.  Usually its about 40 at best.  Upload is near what I am paying for.  My main question is what is reasonable to expect?  I am pretty sure 2.4ghz is capable of higher speeds than I am getting.   If I could expand the range on the 5ghz channel this would solve the problem but like I said the pods were awful for me no matter where I plugged them in. 

Bplayer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

You are not going to get 500Mbps from any device that WiFi connects with the Pods, maybe a max of 150Mbps. However any device connected to the Hub should be able to get the maximum.

It takes a bit of trial end error to find the best combination and placement of the Pods. I initially installed 3 Pods to try and cover my entire apartment and balcony. After a about a week of experimentation I found that only one Pod was necessary to cover the poor coverage areas. My laptop will get 560+Mbps when reasonably close proximity to the Hub, and 115+Mbps when connected to the Pod. Without the Pod I seem to remember getting 200+Mbps in that area, but poor or no coverage on my balcony. It is a trade-off between coverage and speed.