$5 /month for 100MB?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

$5 /month for 100MB?

I only access the web occasionally and mostly just to check text base mobile news sites and emails.  Why can't you provide a $5 per month data plan for phones?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: $5 /month for 100MB?

This is a weblink to Rogers Web & Email pricing:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/add-ons/internetandemail

Depending on your device, you can get data for as little as $10 per mth, but it all depends on your device. If you have a smartphone or a laptop, then your device takes up more bandwidth, and Rogers of course charges more for this. If you do have a smartphone, then look into the 6GB plan which is back for a limited time. Even if you don't use that much data, the cost is definitely better then some of the regular data plans. 

Hope this helps.

You'll find me when I'm not playing or ref'ing hockey or volleyball.

I'm Here A Lot

The $10 per month plan is pathetic.  It only provides access to the rogers' portal, which provides a few websites for viewing.  Why would I pay for something like that?  Is it too much to ask to have access to any site i want?  It shouldn't cost Rogers much overhead for providing a $5 for 100MB plan.

I've Been Here Awhile

It's more profitable to sell you $30 for 6GB when you will only use and need 50mb. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Not "$5 /month for 100MB", but how about $10/mo for 100MB of full-fledged (full-internet) data (exception: no tethering)?

There is such an animal, but only from the well-hidden RETENTIONS dep't.

This HoFo thread goes into a bit more detail:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1665270-Data-Flex-Plan-and-6GB-Data..................

If you don't know about the "RETENTIONS" dep't then you've probably got some learning ahead of you. Best place to start is to read this blurb of mine:

https://RogersWatch.wordpress.com/Retentions

and then do some reading in this HoF Retentions thread: (just read the last 2 or 3 pages to get a feel for things):

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/859401-The-Retention-thread-for-all-your-retention-needs....

PS: It's doubtful (but never impossible) that you'll be able to get part of that $10/mo credited off your bill. Still, that flex-plan, even by my highly-demanding/critical standards, is a pretty fair offering at $10/100MB (and scaling up from there depending on your usage above 100MB).

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks guys
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers Retentions also has a 6gb / $20 plan

I Plan to Stick Around

When I was in the US in June I purchased a prepaid card to use with my phone. I did one lookup for an address and directions on google maps which completely depleted my $25 balance because it used about 2.5MB of data, in about 2 minutes, on ONE web page lookup. The reason the $10 100MB plan does not let you go to "real" websites is it would last about a week. The portal sites are known sites that are optimized to use a minimum amount of data so you do not go over your allocated data bucket and incur huge per kb data charges monthly. If you have a smartphone 100MB/month simply is not enough and if you do not have a smartphone "regular internet" likely won't show up properly on your handset anyway, only the portal sites will work.

You must keep in mind that if you have a smartphone it does a lot of data operations in the background that you may not be aware of and could deplete a 100MB plan without you even looking up a single web page.  

If you truly cannot afford a data plan with a smartphone then make sure it has WiFi so you can access it's data features without incurring any costs, there are plenty of free WiFi networks out there, it's just not as convenient as having a data plan.

I'm Here A Lot

I have a nokia 5530 and I visit mostly mobile version of New York Times, Washington Post, Wiki, etc (The Globe and Mail's font is way too small and the pages, even the mobile version, are too **bleep** big).  The sizes of the pages are measure in kB's, not MB.  50MB a month is enough for me.

I'm Here A Lot

You are NOT limited to only the sites that are linked on the Rogers portal when using the $10 Unlimited Mobile Browser (UMB). You can view many sites by clicking OPTIONS and then clicking GO TO ADDRESS (wording may vary). You can also ADD BOOKMARK for quick access. You can also use Opera Mini (and other 3rd party apps) with the $10 plan (as long as you are using an eligible Rogers device). Rogers changed how UMB works in Aug '09. It is not limited like it used to be.