$5 added to phone bill due to canadian dollar

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: $5 added to phone bill

I received a notice in the mail that monthly bills were going up by $5 after August 24, 2016 unless you are on a fixed term contract. Then you will be charged, but get a credit for the same samount.  How do I determine if I am on fixed term contract?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

They don't really tell you on your bill how much time is remaining on your plan or if there are cheaper plans for you to switch to. You can call/chat to find out or you can figure it out by looking at what you are being charged on your bill and compare it to the plans that are being offered. ie.   Basic Plans

If you have an old plan it may not be shown on their web site. I recently went from an $8/month plan after 4 years, to a $65/mo plan. The $8/mo was really about $16.50/mo. with the extra fees.  .75/mo for 911 access fee,  $6.95/mo for system access fee.  

Add to that the .50/min for local calls, or .80/min for long dist calls (higher on weekdays), then .25 for any sent of received text mssgs I was paying around $100/mo.   So changing it to $65 seemed cheaper when added to my wife's share everything plan. Now I have unlimited calling within Canada. You really have to study your phone bill to see what is going on. I am now on this new Smartphone plan for 2 years because they gave me an iPhone upgrade. If they gave me a Galaxy smartphone it would have been about $60./mo for 2 years. You are actually paying for the phone with the plan you pick.  

Good luck figuring it out  because it is confusing. It is not you. Keep asking Rogers questions to get the cheapest plan you can.  Ask the Rogers customers here if you get stuck figuring it out.    

Doesn't it have a whole lot more to do with making up for lost customers and cancelled  cable contracts  than fluctuations in the Canadian dollar ?   Smiley Wink

YOU decide what YOU need  in the way of wireless services and  go shopping . Give Rogers a chance to match it before you leave  and life goes on . 

Highlighted

Re: $5 added to phone bill due to canadian dollar

Just read this today in the paper 2016-08-11.  We are getting less and less support and the cost of technology is still going down, so why is Rogers putting up their prices again? Why do German customers pay less than half of what we pay for basic mobile service? 

Canadians continue to pay some of the highest rates for wireless service in the G7 and Australia, according to a study commissioned by the CRTC and released Thursday. 

The study, which was carried out by Nordicity Group for the telecom regulator, found that Canadians looking for 150 minutes of monthly mobile service paid more than consumers in every other G7 country and Australia.

That entry-level wireless package costs an average of $41.08 a month in Canada. By way of comparison, the cheapest price for that level of service cost just $17.15 in Germany. 

Highlighted

@User14  surely you can find a better example than  the Germans to compare to. They have 6 times the population of Ontario and 1/3 the land area for coverage .... of course they are going to be significantly cheaper than here just based on infrastructure per capita ... without looking at anything else. 

God ... I sound like a Rogers employee  .... shoot me now  .... but let's be a little bit fair here.  Smiley LOL

Highlighted

@barndoor wrote:

@User14  surely you can find a better example than  the Germans to compare to. They have 6 times the population of Ontario and 1/3 the land area for coverage .... of course they are going to be significantly cheaper than here just based on infrastructure per capita ... without looking at anything else. 

God ... I sound like a Rogers employee  .... shoot me now  .... but let's be a little bit fair here.  Smiley LOL

To be fair, I only posted what was in the CBC News Article. It did mention other countries like the US, Japan and France.

"Canadians paid an average of $48.77 a month for that level of service, while Americans paid an average of $51.64 and Japanese consumers paid one cent more than Canadians. French wireless customers paid the least — $24.17. At each of four other levels of higher-service options, topping out at unlimited talk and text and 10 GB of data, Canadians were paying the second-highest price among the eight countries the study looked at. The U.K. was the cheapest." 

You make a good point related to my question however. Would the mobile cellular pricing be more comparable on a $/person/square km basis? Since Australia has a lower population density than Canada, in theory they should pay more than us in Canada.  The report says the Australians pay less, so my question still remains:  Why do we pay more than the Germans Australians?  

Perhaps this is a question we should ask the CRTC. Consumer Rights for Mobile Phones