$5 added to phone bill due to canadian dollar

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: $5 added to phone bill due to canadian dollar

Hello @Stuphelus

You are saying that there isn't anything on TV correct? Then cut the cord and stop paying for cable.. Very simple. No one is forcing you to have cable.

Also please do some research as i don't think you have. Go through your receipts from past year and see how the prices for let's say groceries are NOT the same. The went up this year due to the dollar and i even posted a link providing that even Bells CEO said that he is afraid that the device prices are going to up due to the weak Canadian dollar. Look at the news from months ago and see what Loblaws, Longos and even No frills are raising their prices. Same with other businesses.
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I always find it amusing how many people seem to have no knowledge of how the economy works and think that prices should remain completely static all of the time. Never has been the case and probably never will be.

But to put this to rest, there has been a price increase on wireless plans. It doesn't affect you unless you subscribe to a new plan, otherwise you remain at the whatever price point you had before.

EDIT:

@rickie1 wrote:

Can someone please explain the Rogers Monthly Service Fee, why I've been getting the $5 savings in 2015, and why I'm not saving it anymore since the end of 2015?

If I'm not saving it anymore why is it not showing up as a Monthly Service Fee on my bill? Why is it hidden?

Is it because of changes to my contract, or is it because of the changes to the 3 year contract rule. 

Thanks.

Your monthly service fee is just what you pay per month, not an additional charge of any kind. You would have been offered and had accepted a $5.00 discount off of you monthly service fee for a period of time, and once it expired it goes away. Simple as that.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

As a "long time Rogers customer" I received two undated letters this week from Rogers Communications. 

Letter 1 announced an increase in TMN (the package with HBO) of $3.00 to $19.95 per month as of August 24, 2016.

Letter 2 announced an increase in the wireless service fee of $5.00 per line or about $70 per month as of August 24, 2016.

In both they talk about these increases due to increased programming costs from the Network provider and due to contributing to service improvements respectively.  They do not mention the cost increase due to the lower Canadian dollar.  I did note for Comcast in the US, you can get HBO in a package for around $10 per month (US).  By using the Bank of Canada currency converter that would be about $12.70 as of 25 July 2016.  $10.00 U.S. dollar(s) today = 12.70 Canadian Dollar(s), at an exchange rate of 1.3225 (using cash rate of 4%).  If Rogers is getting HBO for about $13 or so Canadian, then that gives them about $7 per month or about 35% on the $19.95 Canadian fee that they charge us.  That seems a little steep and I don't see much improvement for this increase.

In 2015, a study (Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Wireless Matrix) found that Canadians pay the highest wireless bills in the world, at around $56 (U.S.) per month, or approximately $75 Canadian. The average among developed countries is closer to $40, while in the U.S. it’s around $50.  

Where does one find a good site that details the average costs of different service providers for wireless, TV, Internet and Home Phone services?  I am sure someone must have done this for Canadian consumers. More intelligent choices on service providers have to be made going forward it seems.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Got a letter from Rogers Communications regarding wireless plan increasing by $5 per line because Rogers have made an investment $6 billion in our network and added over 700 cellural sites.

The message for all long time Rogers customers" we value your loyalty and your business.

Hey Rogers, you made an investment from your profit, right? Why I should pay for my two phones $120 in year an extra? Don't you get any more coverage for you and new clients from those $6 billions? How it is possible to ask your long term clients to pay more for the investment made from your profit? So, anyone have to pay $5 more per cell phone now? This is after the recent increase of cost for your Internet services.

This is not customer friendly politics. You can't get all money in the world.  Where is the real competitors of Rogers in Canada?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Well, $US up, gas price down, etc. Do you expect to Rogers price will go down when CAD will go up? Also, in the letter now word about cost of CAD, only about $6billion investment. This is not the same, unless the investment was made in US dollars.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@User14 wrote:

If Rogers is getting HBO for about $13 or so Canadian, then that gives them about $7 per month or about 35% on the $19.95 Canadian fee that they charge us.  That seems a little steep and I don't see much improvement for this increase.

In 2015, a study (Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Wireless Matrix) found that Canadians pay the highest wireless bills in the world, at around $56 (U.S.) per month, or approximately $75 Canadian. The average among developed countries is closer to $40, while in the U.S. it’s around $50.  

Don't forget, we also get 4 or 5 movie channels with TMN in addition to HBO. Now, I'm sure Rogers gets the HBO programming for cheaper than the US$10 that customers can get it at, just pointing out we do get more than just HBO with TMN.

Also, I'm not surprised that Canadians pay the most for wireless. Out of developed countries (that want / need high-speed wireless infrastructure), I'm sure Canada has by far the largest geography footprint per capita. Unfortunately, we get dinged by the fact that we're a huge land mass, with just 35mm people... People in the big cities (Toronto, Vancouver, etc.) frankly are probably subsidizing service in the more rural areas, in order to have a "nationwide" plan.

Highlighted

@christophermkim wrote:

Don't forget, we also get 4 or 5 movie channels with TMN in addition to HBO. Now, I'm sure Rogers gets the HBO programming for cheaper than the US$10 that customers can get it at, just pointing out we do get more than just HBO with TMN.

True. But the point is I would rather pay $10 for a channel I watch than $20 for 5 channels, 4 of which I don't watch.  It is an old argument, but I do not want to pay for $20 for the buffet, when I only want to pay for what I consume. There is no choice and you can't go to another restaurant in this business.

Also, I'm not surprised that Canadians pay the most for wireless. Out of developed countries (that want / need high-speed wireless infrastructure), I'm sure Canada has by far the largest geography footprint per capita. Unfortunately, we get dinged by the fact that we're a huge land mass, with just 35mm people... People in the big cities (Toronto, Vancouver, etc.) frankly are probably subsidizing service in the more rural areas, in order to have a "nationwide" plan.

The CRTC does have a site that compares costs based on what they call "purchasing power parity" that tries to compare apples to apples and eliminates the land mass factor.  I have included the CRTC link that does show Canada up there at the top in most wireless and internet categories in relation to other foreign jurisdictions.    Price comparisons of Wireless

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Honestly with people complaining about their phone bills, data usage etc. best solution for ya'll is go with wind mobile. (enjoy the signal) At the end of the day ya'll need to understand its business, rather you like it or not. If you have issues with pricing going up than go with another provider. (although other providers are doing the same thing, check Bell's website). Quit complaining already. Im pretty sure you all have better things to do in life than arguing about a $5 increase. Inregards to data usage, people need to smarten up with their usage. Rogers provide us applications to track our data usage, provide us notification when we hit 90%. When ya'll decided to abuse the usage and get charge for overage than too bad so sad. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

maybe consider move to U.S. Problem solved. cheers.

@Dark-knight1 wrote:

Honestly with people complaining about their phone bills, data usage etc. best solution for ya'll is go with wind mobile. 

Actually there have been some fairly good analyses of various plans from 2013, 2014 and 2015 here:

whats-the-best-cheapest-cellphone-plan-in-canada   by Trish Kozicka. 

I think the original question asked by Trustin was how low does the Canadian dollar have to go before it results in a fee increase.   Trish Kozicka  attempts to summarize the reasons for the costing complexity, including exchange rates, and it has nothing to do with the cost of doing business. Exchange rates between the US and Canada is merely an another excuse for rate increases even though the cost of technology is decreasing significantly.  She says:

"The people on the other end either directed me to the company’s website or gave me incorrect information entirely. One agent told me outright that the information on her company’s website was outdated.

Maybe these poor souls were as confused about their companies’ policies as we are.

Or maybe the complexity is by design. Tech blogger Peter Nowak thinks a confusing mobile pricing system is “absolutely advantageous” for retailers."

I suspect Pick n' Pay for TV channels in December will not be simple either.  We'll see.