$5 added to phone bill due to canadian dollar

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: $5 added to phone bill due to canadian dollar

Princing on bundles ALWAYS changes..

Even going back 5 years.. the same 2g plan my wife had, is almost $15 (i guess 20 now?) more than when it first came out.
(it does offer MORE in it now tho.. canada wide, etc).

Yes, you do have every right to stand up, complain, etc.
Weither than actually DOES anything.. may or may not.. 

But generally this forum is for HELP.. its user to user. (even us REs are only users)

The better way to bring your complaints up, are to contact the office of the president, the CRTC, CCTS, etc.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Price increases in excess of inflation on bundles can be justified if the content increases. I can't speak for all bundles because I just have cable. I've only seen channels removed or replaced by garbage channels, so my twice yearly price increases have been pure profiteering.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe?  at least part of it is profit.

This is where i really wish ALL details, all $$ values were released.

People want more, etc.. all takes infrastructure upgrades, cost $$.  and A LOT of money in some cases.

Upgrading an old area to fiber, even just for the feeds, replacing, etc.. that costs ALOT of money.  

At work here, we paid for a fiber run, which was only 300 some odd meters away (one building and a road), and it cost almost $30,000.  Now convert that to a feed for a whole city, etc.  It can add up quickly. 
(plus all the node networking upgrade costs, etc).

I am not trying to make an excuse... heck, i would love to play less than more just as much as anyone.

But just knowing how/what some of the costs for stuff can be.. i can see why costing changes.
(where i work.. they had to increase the cost of the products sold this year by a bit.. why? things change.. transportation costs, material costs, etc..  one little peble in the cost of RUBBER or something, trickles to the processor, to the fabricator, to the supplier, to US.. very easy for a price increase to happen)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I vote with my dollar when my contract is up Im talking to bell to march and beat my current rogers plan Plys im not paying the 5$ . Thw big companys already had protcals for the dollar it a money grab
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Your right i understand price of fruit and vegtables but cell wave no. The price of fruit and orher commidies go up and down depending on the dollar But this is just going up Never down Thats the problem
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Trustin of course you're correct in that the really low Canadian dollar has an effect on the price of just about everything we buy because just about everything we buy now is imported. End of story. Maybe next election we can reverse the trend.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Trustin

Do remember you do sign a 2 year contract with Bell as well and even if u beat Rogers by a couple of Dollars they can increase the bill unless you have a set price for 2 years which u cant cancel unless u pay a cancellation fee.

Do also remember if u add another package or want to change that might not work out as u have a set price as well. Been with Bell and know the ropes.
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

After checking the link earlier in the thread I know understand what you're referring to. Yes there has been a $5.00/month increase in wireless price plans, but it only applies to new customers or anyone getting a new in-market plan. Unlike the rate increase for the residential services, it doesn't apply to everyone. The article that was linked earlier seems to suggest it is because of the low dollar, but it is hard to say really.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The point of this thread is a money grab fee increas from all providers. Rogers already had protocals to prtect there profits from the dollar in place long ago  the canadian dollar going up everyday   And yet they still want to charge extra.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@lockdown2341 wrote:

EDIT: Sorry this went through originally with nothing but the tag.

@Trustin Actually Rogers has independent testing to prove their speed is faster then BELL, who don't have any such testing. And again, the low dollar is not the excuse to raise prices. All companies, including BELL, have price increases. It's like any other service you pay for, like power, water, etc. Eventually prices are going to go up. It is reality and it something we all need to deal with.

SECOND EDIT: After checking the link earlier in the thread I know understand what you're referring to. Yes there has been a $5.00/month increase in wireless price plans, but it only applies to new customers or anyone getting a new in-market plan. Unlike the rate increase for the residential services, it doesn't apply to everyone. The article that was linked earlier seems to suggest it is because of the low dollar, but it is hard to say really.

I guess when you refer to independent testing, it depends on which independent testing you are looking at. Just last summer, Netflix gave higher grades to Bell when it came to Internet speed.

http://www.cantechletter.com/2015/08/netflix-ranks-bell-fibre-as-canadas-fastest-internet-speed-roge...

Rogers does not come out to good as far as Internet connectivity either:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/bell-telus-have-best-wireless-connection-in-ontari...

As for price increases, we all know to expect them. It is when price increases far exceed the rate of inflation that people tend to get just a wee bit upset. When your pay increase is something like 1.9% or even frozen and then you face price increases from utility companies and commmunication companies of 5, 10, 15, or even 20 percent, you do not have to be a rocket scientist to know that something is just not right. I am even more upset at rising hydro rates in Ontario under our current government than I am about Rogers rate increases and the city of Toronto is going nuts under a new mayor with water rate increases, so when you get hit with exorbitant increases for Cable, Internet, Wireless, and Home phone it is like a double whammy! So yes, while price increases may be needed - keep them reasonable!