$400 early cancellation fee for Internet??!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

$400 early cancellation fee for Internet??!!

I found out recently that a few of my buddies use Teksavvy and Distributel for Internet and they pay $45 for 20Mbps downloads and No month cap on usage...Here I am paying $75 bucks a month to Rogers for 150 gb cap that I seem to go over everymonth and pay overusage charges...Rogers next "tier" is 250gb cap at $125 a month! what a ripoff!

Anyways, I called Rogers to cancel my Internet and they want to charge me a $400 early cancellation fee because I went with one of their 1 year commitments on Internet..

What  a shaft!!! I can't wait to hear what they say when I cancel ALL my rogers services which I pay over $450 a month for!!!!

hahahahahahahahahaha!! buh-bye ROGERS! Hello Bell !!

Blair

****Edited Labels****

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: $400 early cancellation fee for Internet??!!

If you are on a contract, with any company, Rogers and bell included, if you leave before that contract is complete, you will have to pay cancelation fees. Rogers is not the only one who does this

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yeah...but why gouge me for 400 bucks?????

Why not just bill me the $20 "savings" from the past two months of the 2 year contract??

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

By the way, I spend over 5000 dollars a year on Rogers services!!

If they want to screw that relationship by trying to gouge me for 400 bucks on an early cancellation fee I can just as easily turn around and give that $5000 to a different provider!

Booyah!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Which is your call, you have to do what you have to do.

Just make sure no matter where you go, get all your information first. IE many of them including bell, if you do sign up and get the current deal, it will be on a contract, and the same sort of fees would happen too if you hose to leave there early as well.

So do all your research before you sign anything, and if you want to 100% avoid, don't take the deal and not sign the contract.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

we should start a NO ROGERS ECF lobby group - the CRTC issued a recommmendation for Bells to NOT do this.... last month.
*** Wrote your MPP to make it illegal *** it's deceptive marketing/advertising by offering a promotion most people won't refuse, knowing many will cancel because they have to move.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I disagree with Gdkitty. 

Just so you know, when a rep from Rogers gives out a promotional price they either don't mention the Early Cancellation Fees (ECF) or they will say there is no terms or committment even though the promotional price is good for a year. Anyways, I get the terms and conditions that say there is a 1 year term, and so I call back and another agent tells me to completely ignore it because there is no committment or contract. 

I am going to call them back and cancel before they can offer me another "no contract" promo price. 

They're a bunch of liars; be careful and read everything to cover your own behind. 

OP: I think TekkSavy is owned by Rogers, or affiliated at least. It is up to you though. It's probably a good idea to look at your options before you move though and figure out the best deal for you. Good luck

Vicky 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All i was stating, is that there IS almost ALWAYS those commitments tied with those promos.  (giving it as a WARNING for people to know this ahead of time, one way or the other)

That the reps lie or dont tell you.. is another BIG rogers problem.. but its not company policy or anything.. its just BAD REPS. (saying what they have to, to make the sale)

Every time i call in to make a change, i ask multiple times, and have been told yes/no (depending on the change).. and they were correct.

But you are 100% correct.  READ EVERYTHING!!!! i can not stress that enough.  Many times, people will NOT read the contract, terms and conditions, etc.. and find out things later on, which was in there.  You can cancel right away, if you dont agree with the terms... but if you dont read them, you wont know what they are.

There were times, when i DID make a big promo price commitment, that i told the person on the phone to wait, till i received the email with the terms.. and wanted to read over it with them on the phone, etc.

(As for the techsavvy thing.. no they are not affiliated with rogers in any way.. other than, they rent the usage of rogers lines, to provide cable internetnet coverage.)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do not work for this company as CLEARLY INDICATED IN MY SIGNATURE. However, I also will back up what GDkitty said.

Certain promotions are TIED to contracts/terms/tabs what ever u wanna call them. when ever I call in to lets say, rogers or bell or telus or whom ever, I always ask upfront, WHATS THE CATCH? IS THERE ANY CONTRACT? IF They say no, and I find out there is, I would call back and escalate to a supervisor, ask to play the recording, and the rep who mislead me will be coached on his ethics, and the contract will be nullified due to misleading agent. This happens on ANY company, so just because someone here is looking out for you does not mean he is a spy of some sort, just be thankfull and try to contribute to us sometime in exchange, a little goes a long way.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No i do not work for them.. but how do i know some of these things? I read.  I read every piece of documentation that belongs with myproducts/services.  So yes, i know what works/doesnt/rules/regulations in most cases. From spending time on here, i also see what others eperiences are, what answers they get, and am then able to pass that onto others as well.

All i am stating is the facts, and what the current rules/regulations are.  It doesnt mean that i necessarly AGREE with/like them.  But i understand, that since i agreed to the terms, it is on me to live with those terms, or so choose to cancel my service.

If you read my most recent reply, i was actualy NOT praising them, i was saying they do have alot of bad reps that lie.

(and yes, they can freely remove any posts they want.  This is a PRIVATE forum, and as any private forum anywhere, free speach so to speak, doesnt apply.  They can chose to edit or remove anything they so choose.  Usualy they only do so, if it violates the forum Code of Conduct)

----------------------

Back to the topic at hand..
Weither i agree with it or not, right or wrong, etc..
The way it currently works... MANY (not all, but many) promotions, have a 'catch'.  Weither you are told this or not by the rep.. defaultly assume there is.  If they dont bring it up front.. ASK.. repeatedly. Read the doucmentation.. the terms.  EVERY TIME.  EVERY LINE.

Personaly, i have never been supprised once by any extra fee, or been stuck in any contract i didnt want, by doing the above. (the one time i DID catch something, without it being mentioned by the rep, but finding it in the documentation, i called back in right away to reverse it)