30 day notice to switch ...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

30 day notice to switch ...

After staying with rogers for more than 15 years , I decided to switch to bell for my internet and cable . I spoke with bell on June 26 th and they told they will give Rogers the 30 day notice anf do the installation on july 28. however. rogers still charged me for august month. when I called the rogers rep told me that the 30 day notice starts once you switch the service that is from july 28.
This does not make sense . Why would rogers charge me after I stopped using their service? If they confirm that Bell had given them the 30 day notice on June 28 then they shoul only charge until july 28.
This shold be afaily strait forward transaction of switching providers .. I am wondering if anything knows more about the 30 day notice requirement.

***Editedy Labels.***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: 30 day notice to switch ...

Unfortunately, all the providers are pretty much this way.
(it would be the same, if you were going FROM bell to ROGERS)

Its the way that services are charged... that you PRE pay for the service (say internet) but post pay, for the overages, etc from the last month, etc.  So you often need to hit ONE cycle afterwards to be able to alocate for the potential other charges from the other side.

Only other thing i can think... is depending on HOW bell did it.
If bell called rogers, and said that they were comming in on day X...  that may be all that rogers then has set for the cancel.. and your last 30 days, will start from there.
Comparatively, if you call in, you can often say i am giving my last 30 days notice today, start the cancelation, and cut off when its over, it ends on the cut off day, that is your 30 days.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I was told by the Bell agent who sold me the package that Bell would take care of the 30 day notices to Rogers. I spoke to Bell agent on June 28 and so takibg 30 days notice into consideration set the bell installation date to July 28. so I should have been fine .
The Rogers agent I spoke to was adamant that the 30 days notice starts from the day the service is actually switched . so Rogers billed me for Aug 2 to Sept 2 billing period and I will also receive a bill from Bell.

why am I being doubled billed. ?

Again this switching thing should be fairly routine and I am wondering how many other customers have gotten double billed?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

But see.. when BELL calls rogers about it.. doesnt mean it was ENTERED in on that date... again, could have been entered on ROGERS end, for the switch over date... as that was the date given by bell.  IF bell didnt say, hey start the remaining 30 days from today..

unless its dealing with porting over of a number, etc like on home phone... this is why i personally prefere doing all cancelations, changes, etc MYSELF, rather than relying on company A and B to play nice the organize it PROPERLY.

But Yeah.. the 30 days, IS routine... just all depends on HOW/WHEN and if it was properly set up.

Not saying it right.... its just common place 😞 (across all the companies)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

... It should not be about depends HOW / WHEN and other semantics ... if this double billing happens routinely then it is not right ...
If Bell promised they would take care of the switching then they should ... also
Rogers should not tell that the 30 days begins olny after the switch happen..

In my case Bell has confirmed they have the 30 says notice ..
so clearly its Rogers who is billing me incorrectly..
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really, in the end, you will have to call in and deal with rogers directly on this.

This is just a user to user forum.. we are all just users here.

(like i said.. this is why i dont trust ANY provider to actualy do any switchover, etc for me.  Heck, even for PLAN changes, when i make a change, i keep the person on the line, and check my online account to see it there.  If its something that has a pushed out date, i call back in an hour later, and confirm the other rep did set it up CORRECTLY)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

In this case I have confirmed with Bell that they gave Rogers the correct notice. Rogers did confirm they got the notice from Bell on June 28 . However. the Rogers rep is telling me that the 30 day notice begins only after the actual switch happens no matter when u notified Rogers.
In my opinion this is incorrect because according to Rogers no matter when u give the 30 days not8ce the customers end up paying t twice..
So my question to the forum was has anyone avoided paying the swit h over month twice ...
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

They are double billing us, too rogers took over shaw and charge us at the beginning of the month and at the end it may be time for us to switch
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Better to contact the CRTC as they're the only one's who Rogers & Bell listen to, (because they have to).  See the complaint by Eastlink Communications filed with the CRTC over the 30 day notice.

The CRTC agreed with Eastlink and others, and on Jan 23rd, 2015, Rogers, Bell, et al, are prohibited from doing it.  

Of course out of spite, everyone's cable, internet and home phone rates go up the day after, on Jan 24th, 2015, (mentioned in the fine print on the Nov/Dec bills).

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No, the prices are not going up out of spite of that.

They are going up.. as they USUALLY go up every year, around that time.

(not saying thats GOOD.. jsut that its nothing to do with the 30 day thing)