30 Day Notice Ends Jan 23rd - Rogers Raises Rates Next Day

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

30 Day Notice Ends Jan 23rd - Rogers Raises Rates Next Day

Just me, or did anyone else notice on their recent Rogers bills, that the monthly fees for cable TV, internet and home phone are all going up on January 24th, 2015?

Wouldn't have anything to do with Rogers being sour about the CRTC ruling that prohibits them from requiring 30 days notice to cancel a service, which comes into effect the day before, on January 23rd, 2015, would it?

The timing is a little too conincidental, looks like Rogers is telling the CRTC and it's customers, if they can't squeeze an extra 30 days of $$ out of someone who wants to cancel a service, they'll make up the money with the rest of us.

....yet they wonder why this industry has to be regulated by government watchdogs.

***Edited Labels.***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: 30 Day Notice Ends Jan 23rd - Rogers Raises Rates Next Day

Pretty sure its just co-incidental.

If you go back over X many years.. if you look at price increases that they do.. (almost yearly of the last few year actually).

USUALLY happen in January... ocassionaly mid year... most MOST of the time in January.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the details of all my bills/expenses in an Excel program, (I know, I know, I should move it to Access), but anyway, I just did a quick summary of my Rogers bills, where fee increases were tagged.

I have 21 years of Rogers bill data in the program, and my data shows the timing of Rogers rate increases appear to be totally random, with no month or specific time of year being more likely to have a rate increase than another. 

With absolutely no pattern to the timing of previous rate increases, it convinces me even more that the upcoming rate increases on Jan 24th is in direct response to the CRTC deadline of Jan 23rd, eliminating the 30 day notice requirement.

Being well into my 50's, I'm old enough to remember when Ted Rogers ran the company and I can tell you that if he was alive and saw how Rogers Corp is running his company today, he'd fire the lot of them!  

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@rharding0 wrote:

Being well into my 50's, I'm old enough to remember when Ted Rogers ran the company and I can tell you that if he was alive and saw how Rogers Corp is running his company today, he'd fire the lot of them!  

The same Ted Rogers who presided over the negative billing fiasco with the 'MeTV' analog cable package in the mid-90s?

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Pretty sure its just co-incidental.

If you go back over X many years.. if you look at price increases that they do.. (almost yearly of the last few year actually).

USUALLY happen in January... ocassionaly mid year... most MOST of the time in January.

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought most price increases had been in May/June typically...

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

In recent years, I'm quite certain my price increases have always occurred in January. Because of this thread, I looked online at my last bill and noticed there's a messages link. I checked that and found the fee increase notification. I've always loved the marketing pitch that precedes the rate increase news. Even years ago, when I got the notice in the mail, the wording was the same: "At Rogers, we are committed to ensuring that you enjoy the highest quality in entertainment and communications. It's with this in mind that we continually invest in our network and products so you can always experience consistently". Of course, they never mention that's the good news, now here's the bad news. Smiley LOL

Seriously, though, a roughly 2% increase is in line with inflation, so it's no big deal.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just going back through a couple of the older posts on here from previous years.

Perhaps my Jan for price increases isnt 100% correct.

2014 - Price increase in MARCH.

2013 - Price increase on Jan 24th (the same date as this year?) as well as one mid year/summer time (was two increases that year)

(now these increases..may not have been across the board ALL products.. may have just been TV or internet only, etc)

Cant as easily find EARLIER stuff...

But i knew Jan 24th was familiar.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree, the actual increase itself is well within the rate of inflation, just the timing I found to be suspect.
Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Best solution. Cut back on TV and Internet. Use lower price plans. Go back to reading books, listening to music and talking to actual people. Show Rogers and Bell we don't need them they need us.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I will be calling them today and telling that I'm cancelling my cable service. With OTA antenna I have enough channels to watch in better quality and cost me nothing. Then I will review and reconsider my options for cell phones and Internet. Rogers is way too expensive and you don't do anything your bil will only go up. I alredy switched my home phone from Brama ($30) to NetTALK ($4) and it works amazingly well. $4 is something I can leave with :-). All these service providers are ridiculous...