3 year contracts and Upgrading Questions?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

3 year contracts and Upgrading Questions?

Hello,

I called about upgrading to a Lumia 920.

I was told I have a year on left on my three year contract, so a hardware upgrade would now  $270 everything in, if i go with a new  3 year plan.

While I understand the cost of a phone is subsidized under this plan, I don't want to be in a 3 year plan as phones change every year.  In 3 years, a Lumia 920 is going to be outdated.  Maybe two years, but not three.

So I am thinking about buying the phone outright.  Rogers charges $549 for it - but is it a locked phone?

And I want different colour selections instead of just black.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks,

****Edited Labels****

V

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: 3 year contracts and Upgrading Questions?

If you buy the phone from Rogers, it is pretty sure that it will be SIM-locked to Rogers.  Unlocking codes are availble online.

A better bet would be to buy the phone from eBay (best to get an AT&T one, since they use the same 4G frequencies), get it unlocked, then insert your Rogers SIM card.

/drt
I Plan to Stick Around

Is it confirmed that AT&T is the same phone as the Rogers?  Last I read the Rogers was some sort of DEV version, which is why it was unlocked, and the AT&T version worked on a smaller set of freqencies.

Would love to take the hour 1/2 drive to states to pick up a 920 in a color for $150 less, plus get a free charging station... but need to know that it's worth it.

I Plan to Stick Around

post in the other 920 thread says the second batch of 920's are carrier locked, even when bought outright. From the looks of nokia.com, the AT&T phones have had the operating frequencies to use more instead of less than the Rogers version. Yes they will work, and if I'm reading this right, they will work with the smaller carriers as well.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

All phones are carrier locked with the exception of the Apple iPhone and the Galaxy Nexus from Google. Every other phone is locked to the carrier that carries it. The first batch had unlocked issue, this is why all the batches after that will be locked.

ATT and the Rogers phones are the same BUT Rogers has a DEV version like dvsrydin said. ATT phones will work on Rogers as they both use the same frequency.
I've Been Here Awhile

I got quoted for 350$ with about 14months left. absurd. Asked if I could buy it outright and they wouldn't sell it. This was a rogers plus store. They said "we don't sell outright in the first week". Also confirming that if you choose to upgrade they will reset it to another 3 years. I'll just get an unlocked phone and let my current contract run out.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Helo jpop

That is correct. The store Managers have their own ways if they want to sell it outright or new activation / upgrade first. Also head office does this decision as well.

As for the charge, this does not seem right BUT when did you do the last upgrade? I would contact Rogers to have them look into that.
I Plan to Stick Around

With the way Rogers changed their plans recently, it might be worth buying outright to avoid getting stuck in a new contract and on these new plans...as someone who has used 35 voice minutes this month, paying an extra 10 dollars+tax for no extra data and being handcuffed for 3 years just isn't worth getting my shiny new phone sooner. I'm really starting to miss the 'build your own plans' and the more choice we had a week or two ago...

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have 10 months left on my contract and I called in yesterday to upgrade to the Lumia 920.

The CR told me Rogers is running a "promotion" right now. If I renewed another 3 years, the phone would be $79.99 (yes, I am sure). They would issue me a $50.00 credit, so the phone would be $29.99 plus taxes. PLUS they would wave all admin fees PLUS the early upgrade fee (which is $13/month x 10 months). 5-10 business days for my phone to arrive she said.

If I were you, I would call again.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

You arent getting the phone for $29.99.. There is no such promotion going on like that. The $50 rebate works different. The add another $50 ontop on the $99 it is and brings it to $149. Once you issue the $50 rebate, the price comes down to $99. It fully explains this online as well.

As for thr promo. This promo is not something everyone gets. It could have been a promo ONLY give to you. I would call back and ask again.