cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

289 GB in one day?

specimen
I Plan to Stick Around

I got an overage notice today telling me that I've already exceeded my 320GB monthly allowance. Looking at the daily usage, it shows me having used 289 Gigabytes of data on 12/12, which is crazy.

I have wifi, but have WPA2 enabled, WPS turned off, and a password some 64 chars long. And use AES encryption.

Looking at my router logs for the past month, the only MAC addresses connecting to it are my own notebook.

Needless to say, there is no way in h-e-double hockeysticks I could have downloaded almost three hundred gigs of data in one day. I don't have Netflix, don't play online games etc. and no one but me uses the Internet here in my apartment.

Is there any way to prove that this wasn't me? or to contest this?

***edited labels***

38 REPLIES 38

Re: 289 GB in one day?

One thing that was brought up on another thread.. which is a REALLY good  point.

HOPEFULLY you havent reset your router, somewhere within the time frame of before the usage happened and now.

the WAN usage.. and your usage... SHOULD be aproximately the same.
You would have to see the WAN usage time was last up.
Calculate the usage, from that day to today via the rogers site, MINUS the bad day.. and it should be CLOSE to the WAN usage.

Something to show.. that there was usage on the ACCOUNT per say.. but not via THAT modem

specimen
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh, I didn't reset it. The tech had initially started to advise me (as others were apparently adivised) to disconnect modem for 24 hrs. Then she saw that I'd already turned off wifi on Saturday (the day I got the overage notice). So, she left it at that and didn't ask me to disconnect for one day.

take a screenshot of your Status page 

compare your WLAN receiving and sending totals along with your uptime to your daily usage on your account

if the spike lands within the uptime period you should be able to rule out your equipment and the router as the source of the spike... that's proof enough

Twam
I Plan to Stick Around

If your only capable of 12Mbps download speeds then even if you were pushing the full 100% for a full 24 hours you should only be able to reach 127~GB for the day ?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Give or take +a little bit likely (due to speed bost, etc)

(though.. if anyone is still on a 12mbps plan... that is OLD OLD OLD express?... might be time for an updated plan..)

specimen
I Plan to Stick Around

I spoke to tech about this after they looked into it for a few days. When I got the overage notice last weekend, I turned off wireless.

Tech basically told me tonight that the day after I turned off wifi, the usage went back to normal since then, so it is most likely that someone stole wifi and did all of this. The also said that it is possible to use over 600GB in one day (which I doubt). 

the fact that my usage spike was just on one day doens't make any sense if it were someone breaking into wifi. I've been showing usage spikes for the past few months (mind you never as high as 289GB in one day). And all of these spikes are on one day a month. They also discounted the theory of someone cloning the MAC address on the modem.

But this doesn't make any sense as my wireless was always protected with WPA2/AES and a 64 char long password.

Since then I've been having a lot of connectivity issues with the modem and tech is coming on Monday. That is when I am going to speak to billing again about this.

you are right, its not adding up

the only way to tell for sure is to capture the actual router usage readings on the status page when it happens again

it really does look like something is amiss in the network between your router and the servers... if a server has a runaway process with infinite retries due to some disconnect and it has your i.p. attached, who knows what that does to your usage

here's another story for the record:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29426547-Internet-Fight-with-Rogers-over-Internet-usage

i have seen one too many people complaining about this here and one too many that are not being handled appropriately by Rogers... everyone on this forum that is experiencing spikes and unknown usage should file a complaint with the CRTC and the CCTS... this is Rogers responibility to deal with it appropriately when it happens and to prevent it from happening

here are the links:

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/rapidsccm/Default-Defaut.aspx?lang=e 

I would, however i have not experienced higher usage beyond what my CGN3 says nor have i experienced any unusual spikes (yet)

i did Share a Concern (with Rogers) recently about their policy and that they needed to change it... received a call from the management office and they said they would do something about it, but so far it doesn't look like its being taken seriously

@Gdkitty wrote:

Give or take +a little bit likely (due to speed bost, etc)

(though.. if anyone is still on a 12mbps plan... that is OLD OLD OLD express?... might be time for an updated plan..)

I'm new to this thread, but what modem would this 12 megabit plan be paired with? I'm guessing something ancient and D2?

The 12mbps plans WERE paired with the D2 modems.

BUT.. you can change/upgrade the modem without the plan changing.. so they COULD have a D3, with still a D2 plan?

CEOmike
I Plan to Stick Around

There is only ONE common denominator in this spike useage problem, and that is Rogers network. All the reports here are various modems, routers, OS systems and times.

Some of the reports are simply impossible - 700GB in one day is IMPOSSIBLE even with a perfect 50Mbps connection.

There may be a common denominator in location - again pointing to Rogers servers.

Rogers has wired their DNS server IP into the routers so they can "intercept" traffic to serve up notices and ads - Rogers has CONSISTENTLY messed this up technically. I would suspect this is where the problem is. This is why you can only use a Rogers modem on their network.

They will NEVER admit this because it calls into question their PRIVACY policy AND a borderline legal way to traffic shape. (sloe down DNS response to force payment for higher data rates or as a way to engorce data transfer rates)

DNS has no part in it.. as there have been at least 1-2 on here who have had the issue, who do not use the rogers DNS servers.

(and MOST devices you can change the DNS manually so you are not using the rogers one at all, if you wish).

I am not so sure its SERVER side either.. as its WAY to random (some users only ONE day a month).. and if it was a more server side issue, it would then effect ALOT more in one area than the amount posted here... and the people posting about it are in a wide area... not necessarily close to each other.

Not saying, its the USERS fault, far from it.

Just that its something else going on.  (again myself leads back to the MAC cloining)

specimen
I Plan to Stick Around

Update and some more thoughts.

When this happened, I turned off wifi and have kept it off since December 16th (month now). I did this too see if it would happen again.

Lo and behold, on January 9th, I noticed 27GB, and again on a day when I wasn't home for much of the day. 100% certain of wifi being off.

Called billing and they gave me credit for the overage from December - the 289GB. And I updated to unlimited to indemnify myself agaist this bollocks happening again.

But, still no cause found. What else I can say about this is that this kind of thing did happen before I got this Cisco modem in August 2014. Before that I had a 95GB cap with a Motorola modem and would notice spikes for anywhere between 20-40GB in one day.

And that's the commonality my case has with others who've noticed this - it always happens on one day.

*I use Google's DNS and never used Rogers from day one. When I did use wifi, I had WPS turned off, WPA2 protection/AES algo, and a password which was a random string 64 characters long.

specimen
I Plan to Stick Around

"Rogers has wired their DNS server IP into the routers so they can "intercept" traffic to serve up notices and ads - Rogers has CONSISTENTLY messed this up technically. I would suspect this is where the problem is. This is why you can only use a Rogers modem on their network."

I think this is true, as even though I use Google's DNS, Rogers is still able to serve usage notices, which seems suggestive of what you are saying.

Did you ever have a tech come to your home to see what the issue is with your signal levels?  I would also exchange the modem on the theory of MAC address cloning.

@specimen wrote:

"Rogers has wired their DNS server IP into the routers so they can "intercept" traffic to serve up notices and ads - Rogers has CONSISTENTLY messed this up technically. I would suspect this is where the problem is. This is why you can only use a Rogers modem on their network."

I think this is true, as even though I use Google's DNS, Rogers is still able to serve usage notices, which seems suggestive of what you are saying.

Usage notices have nothing to do with DNS; they are done using deep-packet inspection hardware...

specimen
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, they did send a tech out who found that the cause of the levels were due to old coaxial in my building. He did some tweak in the control room in the basement which helped improve them

specimen
I Plan to Stick Around

Ah, thanks. 

With DPI, I wonder what the Rogers techs were able to find on my usage - whatever they did find, they never told me.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 38 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 in conversation