250u Internet Slower and Glitchier than Hybrid Fibre 70 + test results

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: 250u Internet Slower and Glitchier than Hybrid Fibre 70 + test results

I have the same problem with my CGN3 that i now have. I went through 3 of the newer ones first after a month of fighting with rogers and many of the "it's your equipment insults" from the tech guys that came here, I went to the older  CGN3    (I have 2 newer laptops, 2 newer desktops, PS4,ect ect and this happens on them all). the newer modems kept flashing a red and orange color light at the bottom and the internet was very intermitent.  My service worked fine at 30mb with the cisco modem before I upgraded to the 100u, then everything went wrong. finally went to the older CGN3 and the light stopped flashing red and orange but the internet intermitency,lag or whatever you want to call it was the same and still is the same. I don't have the time or the patience to keep fighting with Rogers about it for another month either. I spent at least 30 hours on the phone that month and i don't know how much time waiting at home for the tech guys to come and replace it each of the 3 times and one time they didn't even show up so i had to reschedule and wait again. I am not a happy camper with rogers at this time and have considered cancelling my service because of this latency issue with the new modems. I have had rogers for 11 years now.  This needs a remedy and now not later.  I have read about the wide spread latency issues with these new modems all over the forums and the web. It's not my equipment so the techs should stop using that as an excuse to rogers customers and rogers needs to step up and fix the issue with these modems or risk losing long time customers like myself to another ISP.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can I offer some assistance?  Fwiw, if you look at the 24 x 8 modems that are available to ISPs which include the Hitrons and the Cisco DPC-3848, all of them have latency issues, and, the Hitrons are used by Rogers and Shaw.  So that unfortunately is a great number of customers across Canada who currently have latency issues with their modems.  The CGN3ACSMR is the first 24 x 8 modem that I have seen to get rid of the latency issue with the latest firmware that was released during the week of 6 to 10 Jul.  There are a couple of threads that you can read thru, but here's the list of games and applications that have been observed by forum members to benefit from the firmware update:

P4 Party Chat
League of Legends
BF4
Crossfire
Heroes of the storm
Hearthstone
twitch.tv streams - improved bandwidth and reduced latency observed
Teamviewer
World of Warcraft
FFXIV
Diablo 3
Elderscrolls Online
Destiny
csgo
Xbox One- advanced Network diagnosis - open-cone NAT. Battlefield, played many full games with no hiccups. Then NHL and Fifa 15, no connection issues
VPN connection

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Still no firmware update.

Some web pages will load incorrectly, and almost every web page has missing images. Like that blank image with an "X" on it. They won't "stretch to fit" my browser, instead they will go beyond it meaning I have to scroll left and right. Didn't happen before I upgraded, which was only change.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How long has the CGN3ACSMR been running now?  Usually an X where an add should be indicates that the link to that image or video doesn't work.  If you're beyond 72 hours and no update I'd say its time to contact the CommuntyHelps staff.  I think, given what you have indicated that there is something going on that is resulting in poor internet performance and possibly preventing the new firmware from loading.  Have you called Tech support by this point?  If so, what was the outcome of the conversation.  If not, then send a private message to the CommunityHelps staff outlining what you are seeing.  Include the Modem MAC address which is found on the product sticker at the back of the modem or from the HFC MAC address data on the STATUS page of the modem (first page up after logging into the modem).  Also include your Cable Account Reference Number, which is found at the top of the internet section of your monthly statement.  I suspect that you might require a tech visit to sort this out.  The basic numbers look good, but obviously something is up. follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum.  On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page, fill in the title, your modem MAC address, Cable Account Reference Number and other details in the text area and hit send. That should start the ball rolling to solve the issues.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am on the latest firmware now, and the issues haven't improved. Still get worse video streaming quality than on Hybrid Fibre 70, and my devices will often have errors connecting to the net until I retry a couple times. Then it seems to work, then have problems, etc. So not a router issue I see.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Apparently they did run a signal diagnostics or something and nothing was found. What were you saying about checking the node? What's that?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The node is the next upstream device on the network, which is what your modem communicates with.  Where are you located, and what type of home do you have, house, condo, apartment, highrise apartment, etc, etc.

I was looking at your speedtest result to Halifax and the ping time was reallly high, so I'm wondering if you are east coast based?

Was the signal check done through Tech Support or did someone from CommunityHelps get in touch with you?

Looking back thru the thread, it looks like you do most of your wifi on a 2.4 Ghz network.  Is that correct?  Have you looked at the wifi environment with inSSIDer, to see what you might be up against in terms of wifi interference from nearby routers?  I mentioned this in post #4.  It would really help if you could run that program take a screenshot and post it somewhere so that I can have a look at it, or send in to me in a pm if you don't have a posting location.  If you do post it, can you overwrite your MAC address before its posted?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't live far from Halifax so I'm not sure why the ping would be high. But it always has been around 50-70 ms. I do live in an apartment. And actually I've changed everything that can run on 5 GHz to 5 GHz, which is faster but doesn't really help the specific issues I'm having which seem to be random.

It was done thru CommunityHelps.

I do know that Aliant installed fibreop to the apartment building a week or two ago and they set up some box in my apartment by the door but I don't have fibreop personally. Dunno if that could be interfering, but I doubt it, since I only have Rogers in my apartment.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you say that the ping has always been in the 50 to 70 ms range, is that normally seen thru a 2.4 Ghz network, or does that include wired as well, with the same times?  Fwiw, apartment problems have proven to be a challange to solve.  They usually have their own equipment for communications distribution and for some reason, when that goes wrong, it can be a long process to sort out.  The solution is to have a tech come into examine the whole system, and not look at a specific apartment, although that can be a starting point. 

What I am curious about at the momemt is whether your ping time is attributable to wifi issues or wired issues.  The 50 to 70 ms range that you indicate doesn't agree with your wired test using the Rogers Speedcheck.  The one problem with using www.speedtest.net is that it doesn't always give you the best server to use.  Can you try a wired test with a pc or laptop with  www.speedtest.net using the Montreal Telus server. 

Do you have port forwarding set up for the Xbox One and PS3 or do you have UPNP enabled?  Fwiw, people have reported issues with the PS3 with the CGN3ACSMR, but then @RogersAsif appears to be able to run both PS3 and PS4 without any issues.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Someone wrote:

I don't live far from Halifax so I'm not sure why the ping would be high. But it always has been around 50-70 ms. I do live in an apartment. And actually I've changed everything that can run on 5 GHz to 5 GHz, which is faster but doesn't really help the specific issues I'm having which seem to be random.

How far you geographically are from somewhere is... utterly irrelevant. (And it's very annoying when sites that should know better try to get you to pick a 'local' site based on geography) What matters is the physical path of the fiber cables and where different IP networks interconnect.

In fact, often, a server in Toronto would be lower latency. Let's say you're in Moncton, and to reach the Halifax server, traffic has to go through Toronto; that means you have to go Moncton -> Toronto -> Montreal -> Halifax, say. If you pick a Toronto server... then you're doing Moncton -> Toronto and that's it, therefore you've cut out the latency associated with the extra 1600-2000km or however many from Toronto to Montreal to Halifax.

Here's the thing: latency on a DOCSIS system between you and the CMTS is about 10-20ms round trip time. Toronto to Europe is about 80-100ms round trip time. If you're 70ms round trip time away from that Halifax server... that means the traffic is at least going through Toronto, maybe even the eastern U.S...