2 year Promotional Package is "not compatible" after only a year

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user1701
I'm Here A Lot

2 year Promotional Package is "not compatible" after only a year

I am a long time customer with Rogers as I have had my internet and home phone with them for more than 10 years. in June 2016 I was offered a 2 year promotional bundle if I added TV services. I agreed mainly because I kept hearing that Rogers has better/cheaper sports packages. Sure enough last year I was able to add out-of-market NHL games for $45 (an option not available on Bell ExpressVu).

Yesterday I called to add it again and I was told that my package is not only old but "not compatible with new packages". I was told that if I wanted to add the same $45 sports package I had to upgrade to the new basic for an additional $14/month. I know packages are phased in and out over time, but this feels like a pretty underhanded bait and switch. I accepted the upgrade because I have family members waiting to watch the game, but really I'm inclined to just cancel the TV service completely.

***EDITED LABELS***

RogersTony

Re: 2 year Promotional Package is "not compatible" after only a year

Hello @user1701,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I completely understand your concerns about the rate increases with the newer packages, seeing an increase on your monthly bill is never a pleasant experience. 

There is a lot of added value in the newer packages such as the ability to add individual channels over having to pick a theme package that may include numerous channels you do not wish to watch. It was something customers were requesting for a long time. I do understand that the additional cost seems daunting. There may be some additional options we can explore especially if there are only a select few channels you like to watch in addition to the sports channels. Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps the next time you're online and we can take a closer look and explore different options with you.

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

Regards,

RogersTony

user1701
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you, but really there are no additional channels I'd like. I got this box as part of the promotion only because of the sports packages are cheaper than Bell. I can tell you that I have had Bell since 2004 and yes, I am on their old packages, but that has never stopped me from adding seasonal specialty channels like NHL Centre Ice onto my lineup. Come July 2018 I'm going to tell Rogers where they can stick this box. Say what you will, but you do not give a person a promotional term and then tell them it's junk mid way. If I have to honour the contract so should Rogers.

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersTony wrote:

There is a lot of added value in the newer packages such as the ability to add individual channels over having to pick a theme package that may include numerous channels you do not wish to watch. It was something customers were requesting for a long time. I do understand that the additional cost seems daunting. There may be some additional options we can explore especially if there are only a select few channels you like to watch in addition to the sports channels. Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps the next time you're online and we can take a closer look and explore different options with you.

Actually, there is no added value in the new packages. There is less value. They offer few channels at a greater cost. I currently have a VIP package listed at $81.99 per month. To get anything even comparable today, I would have to subscribe to the Premium package at $99.99 per month. As for adding individual channels, I added one to my VIP package. Adding individual channel is nothing new. The cost is $2.79 per month. To get the same channel today with the new packages would cost us $4.00 per month. So please, pray tell, how is adding over $19 per month to our cable bill giving us added value? When our promo package ends in 2018 we may very well be in the same position as @user1701 and looking at switching. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Dugi & @user1701

Same boat as my parents. They have the VIP ( 1 4K PVR box that I use. 2 HD boxes which are owned) / 100U internet and pay without discounts over $250 with taxes Called in for them and told me the same amount with the same package but the newer ones.

Bell offers their 4K boxes for $5 a month on their plans ( depends of u get internet and or home phone) and at times $0. They also offer the same internet speeds that Rogers does but my parents were lied to by a Rogers rep over the phone saying that Bell doesn't offer 1Gbps internet service like Rogers. I laughed and took over the call to prove them wrong. Seems like they don't care about 10-20 year customers and offer the same if not less then what we used to get. No time shifting channels with the new packages, more per channel add on, no deals on the 4K PVR box (they told me they can't do anything and this is over 5 phone calls between my parents and retentions / loyalty. Asked to speak to a manager and every time we tried to speak to one the line somehow hung up and no phone call back.

Its not enough we have headaches with Rogers, they want us to pay more then others offer. Most likely switching over if nothing can be done.