2 boxes side by side - how to use remote so that it does not change second box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

2 boxes side by side - how to use remote so that it does not change second box

I watch a lot of sports, I have a Nextbox for my main tv and have a DCX700 beside it.  What would you suggest is the best way to set it up so that when i use the Rogers remote to pull up the program guide, it does not pull up the program guide for the second tv.  

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: 2 boxes side by side - how to use remote so that it does not change second box

Unfortunately there really isn't a way 😞

All the Rogers boxes, (Even bells are the same way) all use the same 'codes' for all its functions, so one remote will work on any box, easily swappable, etc. so if they are in the same IR range, both will pick it up.

Now these are the moterola boxes so I am not 100% sure, but I am guessing they work with the mobile anyplace tv home app?
If you have a smartphone the app has a built in remote which will work with just the box you are turned too.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: 2 boxes side by side - how to use remote so that it does not change second box

Unfortunately there really isn't a way 😞

All the Rogers boxes, (Even bells are the same way) all use the same 'codes' for all its functions, so one remote will work on any box, easily swappable, etc. so if they are in the same IR range, both will pick it up.

Now these are the moterola boxes so I am not 100% sure, but I am guessing they work with the mobile anyplace tv home app?
If you have a smartphone the app has a built in remote which will work with just the box you are turned too.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the response, I did not know about the app, I will look into that.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can have one STB off and one on, when you want to control the "off" STB, turn it on and the other will turn off - you only need one remote to control both. This doesn't work if you want both on at the same time, as the STBs use the same IR frequency. 

If the Motorla STBs come on automatically when a button other than power is pressed, or if they come "on" to record, obviously this will not work for those STBs, however, it will work for the Cisco/SA STBs used in Ontario, so this information may be a solution there. 

I use this myself for my 8300HD and 9865 which are one above the other on my (nearby) equipment rack.  (I have a blocker in front of the 8300HD most of the time, but remove it and use the "power toggle" method when I wish to access "the other" STB for a time.

You could cover the IR sensor on one STB then uncover it when needed (use some sort of blocker that prevents IR from reaching that device and perhaps move that blocker to the other STB).

You may be able to put an "interference cover" on the STBs, far enough apart so that the remote has to be pointed directly at it for it to work.

You can get a programmable remote that uses RF, which would send the signals  to the desired STB via an IR cable attached to the front of each STB.  This solution is relatively expensive (a few hundred $) and is normally utilized when someone has all their equipment hidden away in an equipment rack.

Gdkitty, just as an FYI, Bell satellite have several codes that can be used to control different STBs. Bell Fibe doesn't.