2.2.1 or 2.3 for Samsung Captivate?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

2.2.1 or 2.3 for Samsung Captivate?

British operater "three" and Samsung's "Finnish website" have claimed Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) would be available to its Samsung Galaxy S handsets in mid April!

Sources:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/07/gingerbread-update-for-samsung-galaxy-s-to-start-rolling-out-in/

http://www.androidfools.com/2011/android-tablet/android-2-3-confirmed-for-samsung-galaxy-s/

Any news of that sort for Captivate users? OR it is gonna take ages (as it did with 2.2) for this update to reach marooned "peninsula" of North America?

Chrs,

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: 2.2.1 or 2.3 for Samsung Captivate?

Are we gonna get android 2.2.1 on Captivate here in Canada? or it's one of those things we will never get it!!

The update to 2.2.1 on Galaxy S is already out in many regions around the globe. The feedbacks show lots of improvements and enhancements in its performance as there are some annoying glitches present in the current (2.2) version.

Does anybody have any update?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'd like to know this too. I'm getting really upset with the huge lag issues with messaging (email, texts and google talk) It's quite annoying.

Rogers when is 2.2.1 coming to us. I really hope that it is soon

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Any news from Rogers whether we are gonna get 2.2.1 or 2.3.3 for Captivate? 2.2 acts way below the device capability!!

I hope Rogers can get back to us with an Answer not like always: the clear "silence"...

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I agree. I had a lot of trouble trying to get 2.2 so I decided to wait for 2.3, but for how long do we have to wait?

My phone turns off by itself and I don't know what else to do... but to make the upgrade... when ready... Rogers blames Samsung, Samsung Rogers and who helps me?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Captivate Keep Alive (in the Android Market) does a good job of keeping your phone from randomly shutting down.  Mine had that problem, and Captivate Keep Alive has stopped it from happening.  There have been reports of reduced battery life from running this app, but I haven't noticed any particular reduction - I charge every night though, so your mileage may vary.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,
in regards to the random shutdown issue. I am sorry to be the one to tell you but, upgrading the firmware will not fix the problem. Only permanent fix is to return the item and get a replacement/exchange.
The "RANDOM SHUTDOWN" is because of an actual hardware issue related to the CPU in the phone. The shutdown is caused by the CPU's failure to enter standby/sleep mode , where the CPU shutsoff instead of entering sleep/standby mode.in turn causing the phone to just turn off.
I myself had this problem on my Captivate and reported the issue to Rogers and in turn they sent me out a replacement phone under Samsungs warranty. But the replacement phone is a refurbished phone. But no more random shutdowns. As previously mentioned you can use the available app in android market called "Captivate Keep Alive" or something like that. Using this program will absolutely reduce the battery life of your phone as it disables the CPU from entering sleep mode. I hope this helps
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I too had the same problem with shutdowns, and the 2.2 update did not fix it.  The best thing is to send it back to Rogers for warranty.

The 2.3 update should be coming in the summer months.  Bell is getting theirs over the summer, and I am sure Rogers will follow shortly.  You can see the article here:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/07/07/android-os-2-3-coming-to-bell-galaxy-tab-vibrant-incredible-s-desi...