12 weeks for an iphone 4S

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rocketstealth
I Plan to Stick Around

12 weeks for an iphone 4S

I reserved a White 64GB iPhone 4S one week ago (Wed Oct 26th), after being advised by the Rogers call centre that it would take "3 or 4 days but allow 1 week" to be delivered.  I started at #463 in line and have only moved 38 places in a week.  If the line continues to move at this pace, the phone will take 12 WEEKS to be delivered.  Before placing the order, I had to upgrade my data plan (which I am now paying for) and had to sign up for a further 3-year contract.  I was prepared to do this on the basis of information that the phone would be delivered quickly.

I ordered a white handset because I had a mild preference for it, but what matters most is getting a handset - white or black.  The problem is that customers have no insight into which colour / size will be delivered quicker.  I called Rogers several times but the call centre has no information.  So now I do not know whether to cancel the white order and get to the back of the line for a black, hoping that there may be more frequent and/or larger deliveries than white.

I am very disappointed in the system.  Clearly someone at Rogers has information on the flow of the different colours and sizes, but this information does not appear to be available to the call centre or online.  We are effectively giving Rogers the $40 reservation fee, being tied into 3 year contracts and possibly upgrading our plans based on information from a call centre that is misleading.

My overall experience with Rogers has been very positive, which is why I was happy to sign up for a further 3 years, but the the reservation system is fundamentally flawed.

I would welcome anyone else's experiences on delivery times of white handsets and/or your thoughts on what I should do - stay in line, cancel and order a black handset (same size or different), or cancel and take my business elsewhere? 

Even better, I (and I'm sure others) would appreciate hearing Rogers' response to this dilemma.

Thank you.

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: 12 weeks for an iphone 4S

How about you reserve one from Apple tonight AFTER 9pm. You will get your device from Apple tomorrow morning. You are able to do Hardware upgrades ( not on business accounts) New activations & buy outright. I rather you guys do this then wait around. If you choice to go with Apple. When you get your phone lets say tomorrow. Call the store your phone is supposed to be shipped at. Tell them you do not want it anymore. The $40 fee will be credited back into your account once you get the Shipped email.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

How about you reserve one from Apple tonight AFTER 9pm. You will get your device from Apple tomorrow morning. You are able to do Hardware upgrades ( not on business accounts) New activations & buy outright. I rather you guys do this then wait around. If you choice to go with Apple. When you get your phone lets say tomorrow. Call the store your phone is supposed to be shipped at. Tell them you do not want it anymore. The $40 fee will be credited back into your account once you get the Shipped email.

View solution in original post

Jun
I Plan to Stick Around

Calm down, not everything works in a linear fashion. You'll probably be "In progress" by next week.  As Meowmix said, better to reserve with apple.ca and if you are able to get a reservation spot there, cancel the rogers. 

If you're going to stay with rogers pre-order, it takes rougly 2-3 weeks from start to finish, unless something terriable goes wrong. 

rocketstealth
I Plan to Stick Around

I am quite calm, thank you for your concern 🙂

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am new to iphone (finally ditching BlackBerry) so do you have any tips/thoughts on whether to buy from Apple an unlocked phone outright or one that is locked to Rogers (if that is even possible)?  I don't really mind another 3 year commitment if it saves $$$ on the handset?

Jun, I am curious as to how you know a reservation with Rogers will take 2-3 weeks?  Do you have the inside track?  Great if you do!  I just don't know whether I can rely on that timeline as the pattern for each of the last 8 days has been to move between 0 and 5 places up the line.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row to make a decision, that's all.

Many thanks

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

If you have not read the Forums then i suggest you do. Everyone is complaining that their iPhones are not being shipped to the store yet & they are stuck in progress for about 2 weeks.

To tell you the truth go to Apple. You can buy a unlocked one from Apple or even get a new activation or upgrade from Apple. It works the same way as you will get it from Rogers but with Apple if you reserve it tonight After 9pm you will get your iPhone tomorrow morning instead of waiting for another week from rogers
cheriecromwell
I've Been Around

Hello,

I don't have an apple store closeby. The closest is 3 provinces away, do you know if there is any way to order from apple without having to pick it up instore?

Jun
I Plan to Stick Around

@rocketstealth 

I wish I had insider info! haha. But ditto with what Meowmix said. Go with apple.ca if you are able to.

If you check the gigantic thread thats like 130 or so pages long right now, you'll see that the some people have posted info regarding start to finish, and the trend is roughly 2-3 weeks.  But then, there are also ppl who have had trouble with rogers regarding shipping also so. 

The reason why the number is going down these past few days for you is because of other people who have cancelled their order, and thus you get bumped up.  Your # is not going to get significantly lower until Monday hits, which is when Im guessing Rogers updates its stock info. 

And if you want to know my status, I ordered on the 22nd with a # of 405 or something, 24th I got moved up to #105 or so, and then 31st, I was moved to "in progress" and ive been there ever since. Maybe it will ship by Friday, I dont know. 

I think it also depends if you are in rural area's or in the city. Im in the city so I don't think shipping will be a big issue for me. 

I hope that helped. Waiting is a pain isnt it!

kelcel
I've Been Around

I called Apple and they dont do upgrades only buying the phone outright ??

Jun
I Plan to Stick Around

Umm, Im assuming, like any other business out there, rogers can make some kind of profit. 

And, Rogers would not be as profitable a company if they just told you to go buy something from somewhere else. 

And if you don't like Rogers, take your business elsewell. Its not the only carrier that lets you use iphone. 

rocketstealth
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the tips.  I will look into other options to get the handset and report back.  I have heard and read so many conflicting things that I just need to check it out for myself. 

I hadn't thought of the possibility that I may only be moving up the line because other people are cancelling, so thanks for pointing that out.

I had a quick look on the other threads but don't want to get bogged down in squillions of pages.  Clearly a lot of people are not very happy with the way Rogers are handling this launch.